1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    This must be the greatest disguised trick in history. The Yankees are baiting the competition by falling farther away from the lead while they are coiled and ready to soar up those standings!! Tampa and the Beaners don't seem as convinced. Neither do Minnesota and Chicago. Guess they can bury the team when they bury the stadium. :'(😞
    Yeah, the Mets had it wrapped up when they led by 7 with 17 to go last year. The Twins trailed the Tigers by 10 in August two years ago, Etc., etc. etc.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 19:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yeah, the Mets had it wrapped up when they led by 7 with 17 to go last year. The Twins trailed the Tigers by 10 in August two years ago, Etc., etc. etc.
    Is this another prediction, or merely hopeful rhetoric?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 19:58
    Is this another prediction, or merely hopeful rhetoric?
    From the post you first responded to:

I expect you and the other Yankee haters who have been saying they won't make the playoffs have a big disappointment in store.

Is that clear enough?
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 20:261 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I guess not making it there from 1982-94 (12 damn years) slipped your mind.

1965-75

1901-18

Plus a few other missed years.

P-
    Geez phlabby...did the yankess have a 200 million dollar payroll in those days? Did the YES network exist to provide all that extra cash to outbid the other teams back in the 80's?

Wow, I am constantly amazed at your ability to cull more than 2 pieces of history and put them into some kind of coherent explanation.

You wouldn't be from New England by any chance are you?
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 21:38
    From the post you first responded to:

I expect you and the other Yankee haters who have been saying they won't make the playoffs have a big disappointment in store.

Is that clear enough?
    Come on, you are betting with your heart and not your head. Same thing when you say Colt is bound for Canton before he has even taken a snap in the show.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 21:44
    Come on, you are betting with your heart and not your head. Same thing when you say Colt is bound for Canton before he has even taken a snap in the show.
    We'll see. I put my money where my mouth is on the Yanks; I bet a friend $50 they'd finish ahead of the Sox.

Colt's a different story; I think you're taking some (mostly) tongue in cheek comments a little too literally. Nonetheless, I think (as I said in the other thread; apparently you can't be bothered to read the posts you respond to), he'll make a fine NFL QB barring serious injury.
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 22:06
    Originally posted by darvlay
    When i started following baseball in the late eighties early nineties, the Yankees were perennially the worst team in the AL East. Totally laughable.
    Then the Rays came along to steal the crown. 🙂
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 22:58
    Anyday now, that Yankee rush to the playoffs is going to begin. It must be so because No. 1 Marauder said it was so. I can't wait to watch it all unfold. 😉
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 01:55
    Anyday now, that Yankee rush to the playoffs is going to begin. It must be so because No. 1 Marauder said it was so. I can't wait to watch it all unfold. 😉
    Admittedly it's looking pretty grim. At least they salvaged today's game and have series left againt the Rays (6 games), White Sox (4 games) and a season finale in Boston. They'll have to start playing at a much higher level then they have been though and will need help.

Still, the Phillies were 7 games out with 17 to go in 2007. Ya never know .................
  10. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 19:34
    Admittedly it's looking pretty grim. At least they salvaged today's game and have series left againt the Rays (6 games), White Sox (4 games) and a season finale in Boston. They'll have to start playing at a much higher level then they have been though and will need help.

Still, the Phillies were 7 games out with 17 to go in 2007. Ya never know .................
    If the Yanks had Wang, I'd say it could be possible (he was almost a guaranteed win when he took the mound, it seemed), but with the staff glued together the way it is, I just don't see it happening.

You guys really got slammed with injuries this year. Especially with Posada. Nady seems like a pretty solid filler for Matsui, but Posada has been around so long and very consistent, even in the playoffs, he's awful hard to replace.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 19:391 edit
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    but Posada has been around so long and very consistent, even in the playoffs, he's awful hard to replace.
    Shows how old/overrated Pudge is these days...
  12. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 21:10
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Shows how old/overrated Pudge is these days...
    Indeed.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 01:301 edit
    Turn out the lights, the party's over!! Pay the man, save the agony.

As much as it makes me laugh to say this...the Astros have a better shot at winning the wild card than do the Yankees. Hell, the Astros have a better shot at winning their division than the Yankees do of winning the wild card. Now, before you start venting, I am not projecting that the Astros will win their division, nor am I predicting they will win the wild card, although their chances are looking pretty decent being 6 games behind with 19 to go. But, I am going to enjoy watching it if it happens.

*strike three and yer out!!!! 😉😀
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 04:18

As much as it makes me laugh to say this...the Astros have a better shot at winning the wild card than do the Yankees. Hell, the Astros have a better shot at winning their division than the Yankees do of winning the wild card. Now, before you start venting, I am not projecting that ...[text shortened]... o go. But, I am going to enjoy watching it if it happens.

Its the worst team $200 million can buy. I say the whole front office should resign effective immediately. How pathetic.
  15. Joined
    24 Nov '02
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 10:56

As much as it makes me laugh to say this...the Astros have a better shot at winning the wild card than do the Yankees. Hell, the Astros have a better shot at winning their division than the Yankees do of winning the wild card. Now, before you start venting, I am not projecting that ...[text shortened]... o go. But, I am going to enjoy watching it if it happens.

A Yankees fan from the other side of the pond and saw my first game at Yankee Stadium last year.
    How does the Wild Card system work and do the Yankees still have a chance?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree