Mine's Python ... what do others like?
    FORTRAN!
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 18:02
    A bit like describing my favourite hammer - depends on the job. ๐Ÿ™‚

But if the whole world went for Swift, I wouldn't mind too much.

(Still love PHP for traditional web stuff though.)
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 17:36
    @russ said
    A bit like describing my favourite hammer - depends on the job. ๐Ÿ™‚

But if the whole world went for Swift, I wouldn't mind too much.

(Still love PHP for traditional web stuff though.)
    Perhaps, that is my problem. I love the tools more than the job.

I really hate Visual Basic.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 18:19
    C. Not C++, not C-flat, just plain C. And failing that, good old Sinclair Basic.

What I don't hold with is proprietary languages owned by multinationals like Google, Microsoft or Apple. Can't trust 'em. Ones designed by a government committee - or, shudder and wince, the military - are, of course, out of the question.

I have a feeling I'd like Lua if I allowed myself the leisure to get into it. And I did like Prolog in principle, but never found a real-world use for it.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 18:47
    @shallow-blue said
    C. Not C++, not C-flat, just plain C. And failing that, good old Sinclair Basic.

What I don't hold with is proprietary languages owned by multinationals like Google, Microsoft or Apple. Can't trust 'em. Ones designed by a government committee - or, shudder and wince, the military - are, of course, out of the question.

I have a feeling I'd like Lua if I allowed mys ...[text shortened]... leisure to get into it. And I did like Prolog in principle, but never found a real-world use for it.
    C++ sucked. It was a great example of how *not* to do an object-oriented language.

But, bless the creator for it, anyway...so that future OO languages could get better...
  7. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    13 Oct '18 12:18
    @BigDoggProblem
    I've recently designed a restful API using C# which I found to be a joy!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 17:43
    @benjamin-barker said
    @BigDoggProblem
    I've recently designed a restful API using C# which I found to be a joy!
    Must be very sharp! Since I am involved with semiconductor manufacturing machines, I'll stick with Fortran. Great for that, not very good to make a chess program though๐Ÿ˜‰
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 17:56
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Perl was what I used most often, but now I don't script any more, so have not written any code in some time.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 10:021 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    C++ sucked. It was a great example of how *not* to do an object-oriented language.

But, bless the creator for it, anyway...so that future OO languages could get better...
    Sucked? It's only gained more suckage over the years! And more, and more... it's now a monstrosity of decades of accreted suckage.

As for blessing Bjarne... good OO languages (including Objective-C) existed before C++. I'd rather thank the people behind Simula and Smalltalk. Even better, the people who did OO-style programming as just one of many techniques for maintaining program structure in pre-OO languages.

(As an amusing, unrelated observation: this site's shortening of my post in your quotation seems only to have lengthened it...)
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Oct '18 16:39
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Assembly language for all the hours of joy I've had trying to work out wtf the dratted bit of code I wrote six months earlier actually does.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 09:00
    C# is the one I'm using, and strive to be better in.
    But the most joy in programming is in Python.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 23:46
    @deepthought said
    Assembly language for all the hours of joy I've had trying to work out wtf the dratted bit of code I wrote six months earlier actually does.
    Right...unless you made a separate document, there was no comments possible.

I remember learning assembly language. Fortunately, by that time, there was C for writing actual programs. The only assembly language programs I ever wrote were academic assignments.

It was useful for understanding what higher level languages actually do, at least.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 10:16
    @bigdoggproblem said
    The only assembly language programs I ever wrote were academic assignments.
    True for me too.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 11:451 edit
    @russ said
    True for me too.
    The first computer I had, a Nascom, buildt around a Z80, didn't have space for an assembler. I coded everything directly in machine code.
    One of my programs were a MasterMind game. Both CodeMaker side and CodeBreaker.
    Later, on a PC, I wrote a crossword generator in Assembler, for Intel 8086 processor.
    Those were the days... (Sigh)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree