1. Joined
    07 Feb '11
    Moves
    17 Jun '12 12:46
    Anyone got any information about when this will start? I assume the delay is due to players being on vacation, meaning a theoretical last timeout about the first of July. Is it just one player holding everything up? I'm itching to get started.
  2. Joined
    20 Mar '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '12 21:01
    It's Group 53 and a particular player with the flag up, holding up the whole tournament.

Makes no sense to me.
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '11
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 09:10
    Hmm. That's only four games, though. According to my tournament list, there are 12 games remaining to be played. Must be some more somewhere.
  4. Joined
    22 Mar '11
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 17:10
    But there is only one group that is undecided.

It seems silly, since as soon as the vacation flag is down, since the time bank is already expired the games should all be claimed immediately. I do not understand the point of vacations in time bank only competition.

Wayne
  5. Joined
    07 Feb '11
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 18:05
    I see. But can the second round start when some groups are decided but not complete? That would mean that the first and second rounds were running at the same time, which the servers might not be programmed to handle. It doesn't really matter, of course. Vacation time rules have to be applied consistently I suppose, regardless of how annoying it is. Just have to wait till the end of the month. Time to brush up my middle game theory.
  6. Joined
    20 Mar '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 18:36
    Originally posted by maitkenhead
    I see. But can the second round start when some groups are decided but not complete? That would mean that the first and second rounds were running at the same time, which the servers might not be programmed to handle. It doesn't really matter, of course. Vacation time rules have to be applied consistently I suppose, regardless of how annoying it is. Just have to wait till the end of the month. Time to brush up my middle game theory.
    Yes, as soon as all groups are decided, any tournament passes to the next round.

I don't know about the fairness of having to wait for one player using his vacation flag to the detriment of all other players waiting for Round 2 to start.

The Championship is a unique tournament due to its nature. With this delay it's sure that the last round will go into next year, most probably delaying the start of the 2013 Championship. Highly undesirable.

Since it's also the exception as far as Automatic time outs are concerned - they do not apply in the Championship - I feel that another exception should apply to vacation flags: they should lapse at the end of the 120 days and winners declared on any outstanding games.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '11
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 19:18
    Originally posted by c antunes
    Yes, as soon as all groups are decided, any tournament passes to the next round.

I don't know about the fairness of having to wait for one player using his vacation flag to the detriment of all other players waiting for Round 2 to start.

The Championship is a unique tournament due to its nature. With this delay it's sure that the last round will go i ...[text shortened]... : they should lapse at the end of the 120 days and winners declared on any outstanding games.
    Good point(s).
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 05:10
    User 570577 last moved 22 days ago. It can only run another 14 days at worst, then he'll fall in a heap. It isn't illegal behaviour, but it sure is selfish.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '11
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 08:25
    Nice to see we have started. I have to say, my first reaction when I looked at the names and ratings in some of the groups was to start bricking it! And I'm highest ranked in my group, too. Batsford's Modern Chess Openings is taking a hammering this morning, I might just take to carrying it around with me, with the iPad used as a bookmark for the latest move to consider.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 00:591 edit
    Tournament 13577

looks as if one of yours has wandered off ...
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '11
    Moves
    10 Aug '12 08:41
    So, we have Chucker an almost dead cert for Group 1, unless the slow-playing Mike Wallace pulls a blinder. Brodaty is looking strong so far in Group 2 but there is a long way to go. Group 3 is wide open and Bebop5 in Group 4 looks odds-on favourite. There's no telling what will happen in Group 5, while Arnoud looks to be romping home in Group 6. Group 7 seem to have collectively fallen asleep while in Group 8, Kingshill and wqt2008 both look strong. Mihai52 seems to have Group 9 by the balls and in Group 10, FullColdbright's may well be joined by TheBigKat. And in Group 11, Lute4 looks good while the blundering fool in second struggles to keep up.

In the spirit of punditry here are my predictions for Round 3:

Chucker
    Brodaty
    Mike Corey
    KnightStalker47
    Bebop5
    fabien75
    hfrcan jouwe
    Arnoud
    individ
    kingshill
    wqt2008
    mihai52
    FullColdbright
    TheBigKat
    Lute4

That's a group of 15, which means some hard-core high quality chess action. Get the liquid nitrogen out guys...
  12. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    27 Aug '12 21:43
    No Kingshill in round 3 which is not too bad as I'm looking to cut my games
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 11:47
    7 groups decided and four pending

As it looks to me we can expect another silicion discussion in the last round...
  14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 09:24
    We have 9 groups decided, sending Chucker, Bebop5, keithcav, tigerking, elgallo36, wqt2008, mihai52, FullColdbright, TheBigKat, Lute4 through to the next round.

Group 2 still has 4 possibles, and Group 3 has 2. As Ponderable said, there'll be no shortage of engines in the final round.
  15. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 03:06
    Just resigned my game against mike corey. Now all the groups are decided, round 3 should be starting soon.

Got 2nd place in my group. Never made it so close to round 3.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree