1. East Stroudsburg, PA
    Moves
    17 Sep '04 18:30
    Just wondering, why are tournament games here scored using 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw instead of the usual chess tournament scoring system of 1 point for a win and 1/2 point for a draw?

- dcd111
  2. Lisbon
    Moves
    17 Sep '04 19:57
    This is a good question.. i think that it's better 1 / 0.5 and 0 points..
  3. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    19 Sep '04 17:17
    Because the site was created and is maintained by soccer fanatics 😉
  4. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    28 Sep '04 18:18
    Making it better to win one game instead of draw two makes for more interesting games.
  5. East Stroudsburg, PA
    Moves
    28 Sep '04 18:57
    I know this point system is meant to discourage draws. I'm not sure why that's even a worthy goal, but even putting that aside, one win and one loss shouldn't be considered "better" than two draws in chess, especially in a tournament.

If I play someone twice in one round, consider these scenarios: In the first scenario, we each win one, so we both come out of those games with 3 points. However, consider a second scenario where we draw both games, so we both come out of those games with 2 points. So even though in both scenarios we have proven to be equal to each other, in the first scenario we both end up higher in the standings in our tournament grouping compared to the other scenario.

This just doesn't make any sense to me; are the two hypothetical players both really deserving of 50% more points in the first scenario compared to the second?
  6. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:09
    Originally posted by dcd111
    If I play someone twice in one round, consider these scenarios: In the first scenario, we each win one, so we both come out of those games with 3 points. However, consider a second scenario where we draw both games, so we both come out of those games with 2 points. So even though in both scenarios we have proven to be equal to each other, in the first scena ...[text shortened]... both end up higher in the standings in our tournament grouping compared to the other scenario.
    Very good example. In light of this, I think I have reverted to prefering 1 1/2 0.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree