1. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 22:41
    I joined the Amandus Grouped Random II 1200-1300 tournament when my ranking was lower, am now ranked 1394. I'm not sure what the convention is, should I continue to play in the next rounds? cheers
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 23:07
    Originally posted by muleo
    I joined the Amandus Grouped Random II 1200-1300 tournament when my ranking was lower, am now ranked 1394. I'm not sure what the convention is, should I continue to play in the next rounds? cheers
    Play on! Brush your opponents to one side as you claim the Trophy, then gloat about it in the forums. If anyone complains, just tell 'em 'War is War, Loser.'
  3. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 23:10
    You can hold on. A 100 points difference is not that shameful.
    But if you plan on increasing even more (say, getting over the 100 above the band), in my opinion, it would be nice to get out the tournament and step up a higher banded tournament.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 23:20
    cheers for advice, there's a 1418 and 1340 ranked players in the tourney as well, but everone else is within the limits, so i think i'll sit it out as I reckon my rating will get steadily higher.

can the 1418 ranked go on to win the whole thing? never entered a tournament before but it seems kinda pointless if he can...
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 03:001 edit
    Theres a 1532 player in the Licinius grouped random 1300-1400.

Hes also in the Licinius grouped random 1400-1550.

Whats the deal there?
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 10:18
    cheers for advice, there's a 1418 and 1340 ranked players in the tourney as well, but everone else is within the limits, so i think i'll sit it out as I reckon my rating will get steadily higher.

can the 1418 ranked go on to win the whole thing? never entered a tournament before but it seems kinda pointless if he can...
    Think about it, you need a winning record to win the tournament, and winning increases your rating. Most banded winners will be above the band by the time they win - it's just the nature of the tournies.

The problem would be if you had once been 1800+ rated, resigned a load of games to drop to 1250, then cleaned up in a 1200-1300 banded tournie.
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 11:57
    Yes I have seen that many players in the so called banded tournaments have all of a sudden jumped 100-150 points AFTER joining the tournament previously.

Needless to say I was in this tournament myself until I saw what was going on and then quickly withdrew from it!

I have no problem playing in tournaments but people who keep their rating low in order to join these banded games really do my head in. I thought this new tournie rating system would stop this from happening but it doesn't seem to be happening does it.

It's bad enough when they jump a hundred or so points in the space of a few days but then you tend to find when you check their profile that they are an even higher rated player i.e. - they enter a 1300-1400 rated tournament - a few days later their rating jumps 100-150 points higher- and to top it off if you check their profile their a 1600 rated player - sounds fair doesn't it!

The whole point of entering a tournament is with the intension of winning it!
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 12:031 edit
    Originally posted by greenphantom
    Yes I have seen that many players in the so called banded tournaments have all of a sudden jumped 100-150 points AFTER joining the tournament previously.

I have no problem playing in tournaments but people who keep their rating low in order to join these banded games really do my head in.

It's bad enough when they jump a hundred or so points in th ...[text shortened]... r doesn't it!

The whole point of entering a tournament is with the intension of winning it!
    Your went from 1282 to 1496. Were you sandbagging so that you could enter lower tournaments? If not, it's unfair to say that others have done it.

Ratings go up, and they go down. C'est la vie.

D
  9. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 12:09
    We are all forgetting the new tournie entry rules (ave of current rating & higest rating in last 100 days) which will prevent much of the sandbagging that went on previously.
  10. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 12:12
    not at all! my rating peaked at 1510 but since then my rating has stayed between 1250-1400 and i have no problem playing people my own rating - you want to know why my rating has stayed so low so long? well i'm a clan player and thus play a lot of games - you tend to find most of the 1200-1300 rated players actually have a profile rating of anything upwards of 1600 - this means even if your playing a 1200 rated player the chances are your really playing someone 1400 plus rated.

This makes life very hard to improve you own ratings!
    I dont enter that many tournaments and since the new changes to tournaments rating have started I only enter tournaments at my own level.
    Soar Puss!
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 12:25
    not at all! my rating peaked at 1510 but since then my rating has stayed between 1250-1400 and i have no problem playing people my own rating - you want to know why my rating has stayed so low so long? well i'm a clan player and thus play a lot of games - you tend to find most of the 1200-1300 rated players actually have a profile rating of anything upw ...[text shortened]... hanges to tournaments rating have started I only enter tournaments at my own level.
    Soar Puss!
    Who's a soar puss? Aren't you the one bleating on about having to play players above your rating, when you yourself have had a rating of 200+ points higher than your current rating? People looking at your rating, if they thought like you, might think that you're a 1510 player, and just sandbagging to play in lower rated bands. 🙄

D
  12. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 12:29
    I agree, but then my rating didnt stay a 1510 for long did it - And I got to this level through having a good winning run of beating players around my own level.

Anyway my comments refer to the new changes that are there to make it fair for everyone. We all new what was happening before so there are no excuses - but the new system should have made things even up again.

We are not all so high rated as yourself
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 12:33
    I agree, but then my rating didnt stay a 1510 for long did it - And I got to this level through having a good winning run of beating players around my own level.

Anyway my comments refer to the new changes that are there to make it fair for everyone. We all new what was happening before so there are no excuses - but the new system should have made things even up again.

We are not all so high rated as yourself
    Tournament entry rating can only go 100 below the highest rating in the past 100 days. Its the same for everybody, so the lowest somebody could enter a banded tournament is 1 band below their highest rating in the past 100 days. Again, this is the same for everybody.

You're just being childish by mentioning my rating, when it has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

D
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 12:37
    No, I did not mean to cause you pain lol I thought you would be proud of your rating.
    Anyway we can agree to disagree i suppose.

Nice rating by the way respect!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree