1. California
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 01:20
    Why are players allowed to cheat in tournaments? When a player is timed out, he declares vacation. I understand that he cannot be timed out while on vacation. But then, he gets an extra day after removing the vacation label? that is cheating. If he comes off vacation, he gets no extra time. take a time out loss like a player with integrity.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 03:07
    Where did you get the idea that there's a one-day grace period allowed after vacation ends?

Cheating is an active word, you have to actually do something to earn that word. If the programmers were to allow you extra time, you can't be accused of cheating if you just accept it.
  3. California
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 03:19
    If you are out of time when you click vacation, you are out of time when you come back from vacation. Even if moderators allow it, it is still cheating. It is still opposed to fair play of the game.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 03:231 edit
    Vacation gives you immunity from clicking while the flag is displayed, no more, no less. When the vacation flag disappears the skull can be clicked. If the skull isn't clicked you can continue to play, it's up to the opponent to click the skull. It's not cheating to continue to play if the opponent doesn't click the skull. Moderators have nothing to do with game play here, it's entirely up to the rules built into the program, which are the standard rules. If my clock runs out in an OTB game, I can continue to play so long as my opponent doesn't call time.
  5. California
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 05:49
    The reason it is cheating, is the skull does not show up at all, and the player gets the next turn. If the skull showed up and I ignored it, I agree, it would not be cheating. After time has run out this player gets another day without me getting a turn, and no skull appears.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 06:031 edit
    How is the player supposed to know the skull didn't appear for you? We can't see what the other person sees on their MyGames page. He would have assumed you were OK with it, or hadn't checked.
  7. California
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 13:26
    So essentially, if the other player does not know a skull appears, but I HAVE NOT MOVED, that player just says, Great, I get an extra turn, and does not know that is cheating? Obviously, if I have not made a move, there is cheating going on. Getting two turns in a row is cheating as well.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 13:42
    Originally posted by niteknight
    So essentially, if the other player does not know a skull appears, but I HAVE NOT MOVED, that player just says, Great, I get an extra turn, and does not know that is cheating? Obviously, if I have not made a move, there is cheating going on. Getting two turns in a row is cheating as well.
    Pardon me?

* There is no double move regardless of other things.

* The rule is to move in time. Another (site rule) is that subscribers have 36 days of vacation in a year, which keeps them from being timed out, even if their time run out. Instead of the skull a vacation sign is seen in the games list.

* After the vacation ends all vacation signs imidiately turn into skulls, and the timeout can be taken.

* It is necessary that people may move while protected under the vacation flag, so they can update their games, before they are timed out.

Cheating is breaking the rules. If you want to you can say that the site rule as such is cheating. You are free to lobby for the disbanment of the vacation rule. But be aware that some tournaments take years to finish. I for instnace can't guarantuee that I will be online for the next couple of years with internet access every three days.

9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 13:492 edits
    The player doesn't get a second move. If you have not moved, your opponent cannot move. So you're talking nonsense. Getting two turns in a row just doesn't happen on this site.

You have a weird idea of the meaning of the word cheating. Cheating is a deliberate attempt to win a game by means other than playing better than your opponent. On this site that usually means using a chess engine. Other unethical behaviour such as sandbagging, while we may not approve of it, is NOT cheating.
  10. California
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 01:00
    You claim that there are no double moves. However, in my game against Lenc, he had zero time on both to move and time bank. No skull appeared. He was on vacation. next time I checked and he was off vacation, he had another day to play. That is either he got another move, or the computer was manipulated to give him an extra day. Either way, that is cheating. When he came off vacation, no skull appeared, and he REGAINED a day of time. That is cheating, he should have been timed out when he came off vacation. He was not, AND he got more time back. He has run out of time twice in one game and each time, he got another day to play.
  11. California
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 01:03
    He ran out of time, and was supposed to be timed out. He was not, when he came off vacation, he had another whole 24 hours to use up, even though I never moved, and his time was up. No skull appeared. That is the equivalent of two moves, or of the computer giving him extra time. He has done this twice in a row in one game, essentially he has got an extra two days to play.
  12. California
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 01:05
    "After the vacation ends all vacation signs imidiately turn into skulls, and the timeout can be taken. "

He has run out twice, twice it has said the time left is0 and no skull appears. He has had two extra turns, 24 hours each time.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 01:502 edits
    "After the vacation ends all vacation signs imidiately turn into skulls, and the timeout can be taken. "

He has run out twice, twice it has said the time left is0 and no skull appears. He has had two extra turns, 24 hours each time.
    Now that you've been explicit about the particular game, have you noticed that the time control reads "1 day per move plus timebank" and not "zero days per move plus timebank" ???????????????????
  14. California
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 13:47
    Have you noticed that I mentioned several times, his one day per move had run out as well, he had zero time left on both, no skull appeared. I know it sounds odd, but it happened. He was GIVEN another day after ALL time had run out, and no skull appeared. (Twice).
  15. Joined
    05 Dec '14
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 04:441 edit
    You have four games in progress. In three of them your opponent has 'time bank' remaining. In the fourth, there is no 'time bank' remaining for your opponent but he may still move legally within the 1 day time control ( 24 hours ) without penalty, and its your move.

You are a moron.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree