1. DonationDustnrogers
    Canada'sChamp
    Calgary Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jan '05 05:59
    I was going through all the tournies ive either played, been eliminated, or are still in progress. I have 12 tournies where i am in the second round, either waiting to start, or waiting to advance. Of which im in the third round of one tourney waiting to go into the fourth, im waiting to go into the third in the Veggiecheck sponsored tourney. Waiting to go into the final round of the Uranus tourney against Tequila and pateman. I might actually pick up some long deserved tourney wins. Unforunately i have a lower rated tourney which i will win as well, but i joined the tourney along time ago, when i was only rated around 1500 here. What about other people, i know players like ironman31 have like 10 tournies that they are soon to win right away or in sometime.
  2. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '05 13:12
    Originally posted by Dustnrogers
    I was going through all the tournies ive either played, been eliminated, or are still in progress. I have 12 tournies where i am in the second round, either waiting to start, or waiting to advance. Of which im in the third round of one tourney waiting to go into the fourth, im waiting to go into the third in the Veggiecheck sponsored tourney. Waiting ...[text shortened]... layers like ironman31 have like 10 tournies that they are soon to win right away or in sometime.
    Well I've won 4. And I have 2 Xmas Grands won just waiting for the other matches to finish. I should win Chigorin's Defense tournament and have a good shot in the Hades Grouped Random. I have probably somewhere around 10 tournaments in which Im waiting for the second round and another 4 or 5 that im waiting for the final round. I have a banded tourney won too but thats just a sorry win. The second banded is alot tougher with players who are also rated almost as high as me.
  3. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    01 Feb '05 16:19
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    Well I've won 4. And I have 2 Xmas Grands won just waiting for the other matches to finish. I should win Chigorin's Defense tournament and have a good shot in the Hades Grouped Random. I have probably somewhere around 10 tournaments in which Im waiting for the second round and another 4 or 5 that im waiting for the final round. I have a banded tourney ...[text shortened]... rry win. The second banded is alot tougher with players who are also rated almost as high as me.
    In one of the Xmas Grands aren't you going to split the win the hushpuppy? Or is there a playoff or something like that?
  4. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '05 00:44
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    In one of the Xmas Grands aren't you going to split the win the hushpuppy? Or is there a playoff or something like that?
    Personally hope there is a playoff so I can have the win by myself if not oh well a shared win :-(
  5. DonationDustnrogers
    Canada'sChamp
    Calgary Alberta
    Moves
    02 Feb '05 17:42
    its a playoff! Good job Charles, your doing great, im happy, in the bors tournament second round, i just found an advantage in one of the games against APB and if i pull through i almost have enough confidence to guaruntee my movement to the next round, which most likely in the final round will be SteveC, so thats where i lose, but atleast i got that far and got to play him!
  6. DonationDustnrogers
    Canada'sChamp
    Calgary Alberta
    Moves
    02 Feb '05 18:43
    actually, wrong tourney, another tourney i face steveC in the finals, in this one, if i pull through, i face Meman, either way, im in trouble, but i have drawed meman twice, so ill see what i can do
  7. London
    Moves
    02 Feb '05 19:58
    Personally hope there is a playoff so I can have the win by myself if not oh well a shared win :-(
    i just thought that i would point out that the last game you played with hushpuppy he won!?!?! so i dont think that you could guarentee a win by yourself until you've actually played the game.

fred
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Feb '05 20:13
    Why don't you two (Dustin and CRACKHEAD) drop your rating to 1000 by resigning hundreds of games and then join some banded tournaments? If it's tournament wins that get your goat, that would be an easy way to score a few. Oh wait, you guys already thought of that one, eh?...
  9. Standard memberFat mans revenge
    Pennywise Says Hi
    Up from mainstream
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 04:50
    Being the chess amateur that I am, I am only waiting for the next round of one tourny, but have a good chance of advancing in two others.

-Fatty
  10. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 12:57
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    i just thought that i would point out that the last game you played with hushpuppy he won!?!?! so i dont think that you could guarentee a win by yourself until you've actually played the game.

fred
    While I wish I could elaborate better on the games due to recent events I can't. I will say that yes I will definately win the playoff. Was kinda unhappy about the tie as my only intentions for being in that particular xmas grand was to keep hushpuppy for trying to win it. Anyway, I'll even tell you how it goes. I will win one game which gives me the win and simply offer a draw or purposely get one in the other as I don't want it to drag on longer than needed.

darlay or darvlay or whatever your name is can't remember right now, I have never resigned hundreds of games though I did get timed out in close to 100. Plus who cares about banded tournament wins, they focus on a certain rating range and arent real tournaments. Lets see you win just one real tournment.
  11. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 15:41
    Plus who cares about banded tournament wins, they focus on a certain rating range and arent real tournaments. Lets see you win just one real tournment.[/b]
    I think differently.

Let's see you win a tournament playing against 31 other players with equal rating, in your case with a 2100+ rating. All 'real' tournaments usually only have a handful of players of your rating. My chances of winning a banded tournament with a some players entered having a score of 700 lower than I do, 600 and 700's, makes it a lot easier for me to win one too, wouldn't it...?
  12. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 16:47
    Originally posted by Aiko
    I think differently.

Let's see you win a tournament playing against 31 other players with equal rating, in your case with a 2100+ rating. All 'real' tournaments usually only have a handful of players of your rating. My chances of winning a banded tournament with a some players entered having a score of 700 lower than I do, 600 and 700's, makes it a lot easier for me to win one too, wouldn't it...?
    But thats completely different. If you have a tournament with all 2100 players ifs gonna be very hard to win. Now if you have a tournament with a bunch of 1000 rated players its going to be easier, because anyone can make a stupid blunder at anytime. No one wins those type of games because of playiong skill they win because of the other players mistakes, its a battle of 'who can screw up less than everyone else' While with players my rating it would be something to see. Now the real tournaments are real because anyone at all can enter them and have a shot at winning. Lower rated people like the banded stuff because they know they would have a better shot at winning since the games winner would be decided not by how well they play but by how bad them and their opponent play.
  13. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 16:53
    But thats completely different. If you have a tournament with all 2100 players ifs gonna be very hard to win. Now if you have a tournament with a bunch of 1000 rated players its going to be easier, because anyone can make a stupid blunder at anytime. No one wins those type of games because of playiong skill they win because of the other players mistakes, ...[text shortened]... s winner would be decided not by how well they play but by how bad them and their opponent play.
    If there's a 1000 rated banded tourney then it would be the same as a 2100+ banded one except opposite. In the 1000 banded, since everyone is as good (or bad) as each other it would be just as hard to win as 2100+ one cause everyone's playing the same type of people. For people rated 2100+, it would be all great matches and tons of draws. For the 1000, there'd be mitakes but the other side might not always see them so you can't count on a blunder leading to a win. Right?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 00:352 edits
    TRACKHEAD21 -

...thats completely different. If you have a tournament with all 2100 players ifs gonna be very hard to win. Now if you have a tournament with a bunch of 1000 rated players its going to be easier, because anyone can make a stupid blunder at anytime. No one wins those type of games because of playiong skill they win because of the other players mistakes, its a battle of 'who can screw up less than everyone else

...a player can win only as a consequence of an error made by the opponent. - Wilhelm Steinitz

http://www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR/General/steinitz.html

What wins games for the 1000 rated players also wins games for the 2000+ rated players. However, I agree with you; winning a 1000 banded tournament means far less than winning a tournament that lets in 2000+ rated players.
  15. Standard memberohfreak
    El Freak0
    NW GD Ohio
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 05:48
    It means far less to someone who's rated 2100, that is. To someone who's rated 1400, winning a 1400-1499 Banded is certainly meaningful.

If you're talking about some kind of Universal Meaningfulness... errrrr.

I'm certain Anand, Leko, Polgar, et al would have a fine chuckle over Trackhead's pomposity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree