Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    31 Oct '05 17:09
    A whole series of Halloween face off tournaments have been created.

    Be warned, if you enter both, you will be swamped by games, so please only stick to one only if possible.

    -Russ
  2. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    31 Oct '05 17:51
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

    Would be nice for next times if parallel tournaments are being organized, to let them have - how do you call it? - an offset. I mean, tournament A going from 0000 - 1199, 1200 - 1399, et cetera, and tournament B from 0000 - 1299, 1300 - 1499, et cetera. Just a thought.
  3. Subscriber dinc168
    no where man
    31 Oct '05 18:30
    Originally posted by Russ
    A whole series of Halloween face off tournaments have been created.

    Be warned, if you enter both, you will be swamped by games, so please only stick to one only if possible.

    -Russ
    Time bank too long again.
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    31 Oct '05 21:43
    Originally posted by dinc168
    Time bank too long again.
    Oh no the games may last 7 days longer than I would like.
  5. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    31 Oct '05 21:58
    Originally posted by Russ
    A whole series of Halloween face off tournaments have been created.

    Be warned, if you enter both, you will be swamped by games, so please only stick to one only if possible.

    -Russ
    Fire 'em up Russ!!!
  6. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    31 Oct '05 23:40
    Sweet, thanks Russ!
  7. Standard member Chakan
    Oro!
    01 Nov '05 06:29 / 1 edit
    AAARRGH! I missed them... stupid time difference! If anyone i`m playing can resign then I can enter the 1500 one! Please pretty please!
  8. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    01 Nov '05 09:01
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Oh no the games may last 7 days longer than I would like.
    Irrelevant. Seven minutes, give or take, is about the limit of your attention span anyway. So I'm told.

    skeeter
  9. Standard member rhb
    Ginger Scum
    01 Nov '05 10:43
    Missed out on my band, yet all the upper bands struggling to fill up.

    I think creating tournie sizes based on rating distribution might help. I bet you could fill 8 of the 1200-1500 band tournies, whilst will struggle to fill just one of the top rating banded ones.

    Just a thought.
  10. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    01 Nov '05 11:37
    God knows what this tourney is going to do to my rating๐Ÿ™„
  11. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    01 Nov '05 16:50
    Originally posted by rhb
    Missed out on my band, yet all the upper bands struggling to fill up.

    I think creating tournie sizes based on rating distribution might help. I bet you could fill 8 of the 1200-1500 band tournies, whilst will struggle to fill just one of the top rating banded ones.

    Just a thought.
    For faceoffs you can't really make them any bigger than they are, because you already get 30 games just from 16 players. The good thing about faceoffs is is that you don't have to worry about starting them if they're not full since everyone's pooled into one group anyway.
  12. Standard member theboxdeluxe
    aka THED06580110X
    01 Nov '05 17:20
    Originally posted by rhb
    Missed out on my band, yet all the upper bands struggling to fill up.

    I think creating tournie sizes based on rating distribution might help. I bet you could fill 8 of the 1200-1500 band tournies, whilst will struggle to fill just one of the top rating banded ones.
    It might also help if poeple who's rating has been much greater than the band (but have allowed loads of games to timeout so their rating has dropped were excluded from these tournaments).

    I don't care how but just keep the "timeout bandits" out of the banded tournaments !!!
  13. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    01 Nov '05 21:27
    WOW! check out thenoddyman in 0-1299 banded...who used to have a 1650 rating...cool dude...beating up on 1200 players...he must get a real kick out of it...๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜  why do people have to come and ruin tournaments that other people might actually have a chance of winning. In case these people don't notice, lower rated players have no other chance of winning tournaments (pretty much), so why come ruin our fun?
  14. 01 Nov '05 23:43
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    WOW! check out thenoddyman in 0-1299 banded...who used to have a 1650 rating...cool dude...beating up on 1200 players...he must get a real kick out of it...๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜  why do people have to come and ruin tournaments that other people might actually have a chance of winning. In case these people don't notice, lower rated players have no other chance of winning tournaments (pretty much), so why come ruin our fun?
    Just the way the cookie crumbles.

    Whilst it is annoying, as paying members, they have the right to enter any tournament their curremt rating allows. Until Russ implements changes which restrict the ability of people who do this by giving you say a +/- 200 range over your highest ever rating then you will always get people who will be able to do this.

    Having said that I have played in tournaments ranging from

    Beta Banded 8x8 1000-1199 (Tournament 523) to
    Mini banded III 1375-1399 (Tournament 619) and
    Halloween 2005 Face Off Banded 1300-1499 A (Tournament 838)

    which gives a potential range of between 300 and 500 points.

    As you say if they win it will be a hollow victory.
  15. Subscriber Ponderableonline
    chemist
    02 Nov '05 11:46
    Well, Adram, you keep improving, that is fine.

    The point is actually about those people like jayaitch who played constantly at a certain level and resign or let timeout a few dozen games, come back and go straight into banded tournaments. I have decided to play this person as SLOW as I can in the hope, that SHe will timeout again....