1. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '04 13:51
    I know you have been doing a bit of analysis here and there so just asking if you're up to it could you do a bit more or anyone else who might have the time. Anytime I'm on Im moving with these 2 xmas grands going and had thoughts of entering another so not much time and I am just curious about a player. Player is hushpuppy. 1500 player finding himself in the 1900 range with some odd loses lately to the likes of players a bit over 1200. And for anyone calling this some type of accusation, I'm not really accusing him of anything, just a bit curious. :-)
  2. DonationQuirine
    Tovenaar
    Dieren
    Moves
    24 Dec '04 15:50
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    I know you have been doing a bit of analysis here and there so just asking if you're up to it could you do a bit more or anyone else who might have the time. Anytime I'm on Im moving with these 2 xmas grands going and had thoughts of entering another so not much time and I am just curious about a player. Player is hushpuppy. 1500 player finding himself ...[text shortened]... this some type of accusation, I'm not really accusing him of anything, just a bit curious. :-)
    He swept the floor with me in 2 games (I admit I did not take him too seriously because of his rating around 1500 at the start of the games) and I was surprised at how fast he played in combination with his level of play (playing strength over 2000)... I looked at some old games played by hushpuppy in which he showed the playing strength of 1500 to 1600.
    It is at least a bit strange...

Otto
  3. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    24 Dec '04 20:02
    I'm 2-1-1 against him and in those games it didn't seem like he was cheating. I was wondering about his rating spike though....
  4. Joined
    26 Dec '03
    Moves
    25 Dec '04 01:15
    Since Russ asked for no public accusations im not going to put it through an engine. You should own several so you can check and then point it to the chess mods later :-)
  5. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Dec '04 05:59
    Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
    Since Russ asked for no public accusations im not going to put it through an engine. You should own several so you can check and then point it to the chess mods later :-)
    Oops, should have said to pm it to me, actually probably shoulda just pm'd you. Would run some myself but these two xmas grands are killing me, glad I didnt enter the third or 4th, was looking at them and was very tempted. So nice to see zero games waiting though I know as soon as I go to sleep it will be backk to around 0 by the time I wake up and 100+ by mid day when I'll have a chance to make some moves.
  6. Standard membermateulose
    Look, it's a title!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Dec '04 18:39
    I know you have been doing a bit of analysis here and there so just asking if you're up to it could you do a bit more or anyone else who might have the time. Anytime I'm on Im moving with these 2 xmas grands going and had thoughts of entering another so not much time and I am just curious about a player. Player is hushpuppy. 1500 player finding himself ...[text shortened]... this some type of accusation, I'm not really accusing him of anything, just a bit curious. :-)
    I played him before, when he was around 1400 rated, and I lost a very long endgame against him where I consequently had to blunder a bishop for two pawns. Until then, I was playing around his level and I don't use engines. I'm willing to say, that he may just have been a slightly better player then me despite being rated lower and his rating is now more appropriate. I do think he's an 1800 player based on the game I played with him, IMHO, so it's accurate.
  7. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Dec '04 19:12
    Originally posted by mateulose
    I played him before, when he was around 1400 rated, and I lost a very long endgame against him where I consequently had to blunder a bishop for two pawns. Until then, I was playing around his level and I don't use engines. I'm willing to say, that he may just have been a slightly better player then me despite being rated lower and his rating is now more ...[text shortened]... e. I do think he's an 1800 player based on the game I played with him, IMHO, so it's accurate.
    I should have taken a look at graphs, records and profiles before joining Xmas Grand II. Tainted field me thinks and not just by one either. Russ, finish your testing already so cheat moderators can start working.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Dec '04 13:29
    I beat him in 2 very close games. He didn't seem to be using a computer. He also didn't seem to be a 1900+ player.

D
  9. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    26 Dec '04 13:58
    And for anyone calling this some type of accusation, I'm not really accusing him of anything, just a bit curious. :-)
    Curiousity killed the HushPuppy
  10. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Dec '04 21:271 edit
    I am playing this guy and at the start of the game his was rated 1700 and now he's a stunning 1900 and his rating stats look very suspicous 😕
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    26 Dec '04 23:121 edit
    This guy is no 7 on the MAP list. I don't believe a computer cheater would have the inclination or energy to get onto the MAP list. Quirine aside, he has not beaten any other high ranked players. He is playing a lot of games, fast, against moderate opponents and winning a high percentage of them. (and also dropping a few clangers along the way)

Not that this rules out cheating, but the sheer quantity of games needs to be taken into account.

I've also had a big spike in my rating since the start of the clan leagues. I got 54 new games, and because of the absurd clan seedings, all but one opponent had a lower rating than me. In the last two weeks I've won 29 from 29 games and my rating has shot about 150-200 points higher than it should be. If I was playing opponents of similar strength I doubt my rating would have changed much.

So spikes can happen, and it can be more to do with game load and the strength of a player's opponents, rather than any sudden or mysterious improvement in a player's ability. Go ask the Cheshire Cat, mid 1300 on 29 Nov, 1700+ on 02 Dec...
  12. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '04 00:22
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    This guy is no 7 on the MAP list. I don't believe a computer cheater would have the inclination or energy to get onto the MAP list. Quirine aside, he has not beaten any other high ranked players. He is playing a lot of games, fast, against moderate opponents and winning a high percentage of them. (and also dropping a few clangers along the way)

Not t ...[text shortened]... ent in a player's ability. Go ask the Cheshire Cat, mid 1300 on 29 Nov, 1700+ on 02 Dec...
    Certainly spends enough time online moving to pull it off
  13. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    27 Dec '04 00:41
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher

So spikes can happen, and it can be more to do with game load and the strength of a player's opponents, rather than any sudden or mysterious improvement in a player's ability. Go ask the Cheshire Cat, mid 1300 on 29 Nov, 1700+ on 02 Dec...
    This is quite true,as I'm having a rating spike but only because I'm dragging some lost games,plus I have another 10 (theorically) won games and I guess that if I continue to drag other games I could easily go to 1550-1600.
    But I'm not a 1500 player,I'm a good 1350,maybe 1400,who had a lucky chess period,but I will be soon back to my 1300s....................
  14. Standard memberBlobby
    You Cheeky
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '04 03:57
    excuse me but hushpuppy hasd played 490 games she's nearlky always in the top 10 map of the month hushpuupy play lots of games theres lots of room for error and for improvment we will see if hushpuppy is a cheater when the mods analyse hushgpuppys gaems but for now i don't think anyone has the right to accues hushpuppy of anythihng
  15. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '04 03:18
    Well, the mods need to get up and running so that these posts can be sent to them and not posted in the public section. So many times, once someone says something about a player, others start looking and seeing the same thing. When I went on as the supervisor over skilled trades I took an interesting class. They told me, "If you look for something long enough and hard enough it will materialize to you - whether it's true or not."

arrakis

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree