1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 20:27
    Yes, and they're posted on various websites.
  2. Standard memberpaper
    tiger
    New Jersey, USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 23:573 edits
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I just read your profile, and see you don't use databases. Although it's common knowledge here at RHP that program use is cheating, many people here, myself included, make use of substantial game databases and chess literature. This isn' ...[text shortened]... t the start of your games as well as posting it in your profile.
    I do use paper books, for the first few moves. A database has entire games, including who won, white or black. With a big enough database, you can find enough moves to give yourself a garndmasters advantage.

My paper books just have the first few moves of openings, and I consult them to learn the most common ones. They are: Chess in a Nutshell -Reinfeld; Chess for Dummies - Eade; The Winning Way - Pandolfini; How to play the chess Openings - Znosko-Borovsky. Not a very impressive list, but there it is.

I think we can all agree that playing against chess playing programs, modern ones with large game books and analysis capabilities, is pointless in rated games. I can look maybe three or four moves ahead if my opponent does what I expect him to do. I can't compete with a computer that can look at millions of lines. We should be very proud that Kasparov and Kramnik can.

It isn't necessary to give someone a heads up, I just play against players with about as many wins as losses.
    πŸ˜€
  3. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    10 Mar '03 00:03
    Personally, I prefer to use nothing but my own wits and experience. I know a lot of people here use books, databases, etc., but I find the greatest satisfaction in winning with nothing but my noodle. That's how I play and that's how I like it. If someone wants to use other resources when they play against me, that's just fine with me. More props for me if I beat them. Less props for them if they win. πŸ˜‰
  4. Standard memberpaper
    tiger
    New Jersey, USA
    Moves
    10 Mar '03 00:066 edits
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Personally, I prefer to use nothing but my own wits and experience. I know a lot of people here use books, databases, etc., but I find the greatest satisfaction in winning with nothing but my noodle. That's how I play and that's how I l ...[text shortened]... e props for me if I beat them. Less props for them if they win. πŸ˜‰
    I agree with you, but I don't know all of the openings, and believe that checking for two or three moves makes a better, more enjoyable game for both sides.

Today, for example, one opponent started a game with the English Opening. I had never played this before. My books only gave 1 and 1/2 moves, but at least I learned the name, and the ablity to recognise the opening. The guys who sit in our public library memorizing 20 moves of a Pirc scare me.

By the way, Omnislash, since you online when the rest of my opponents seem to be watching TV, how about a game when you get finished with one of your ten?

5. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    10 Mar '03 03:58
    Originally posted by paper

By the way, Omnislash, since you online when the rest of my opponents seem to be watching TV, how about a game when you get finished with one of your ten?

[/b]
    You betcha! I'll send one over when I have a slot open. πŸ˜‰
  6. Standard memberpaper
    tiger
    New Jersey, USA
    Moves
    11 Mar '03 23:11
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    You betcha! I'll send one over when I have a slot open. πŸ˜‰
    When you are ready, e-mail me at csmart@electronic-learning.com. I have my challenge settings on zero.
  7. Tampa
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 07:45
    I love this game!!😲
  8. Standard memberarun78
    KnightBlaster
    Austin, Texas
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 00:49
    Hi, I just joined today. Could anyone tell me how I could join a tournament? Would I be getting an email when a new one starts or do I just have to check in here regularly?
    Thanks πŸ™„
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 11:351 edit
    Originally posted by arun78
    Hi, I just joined today. Could anyone tell me how I could join a tournament? Would I be getting an email when a new one starts or do I just have to check in here regularly?
    Thanks πŸ™„
    You just have to check the 'tournaments' link near the top of the page regularly. New ones will show up there. It usually takes a few days to get players entered, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of regular time schedule for when new ones are started.

There isn't any e-mail announcement sent out at this time. Sometimes they are mentioned here in the tournament forum, but not always, so the best way is to check the tournament link.

Welcome to the site!!

regards, Marc
  10. Standard membergervic
    Viva MΓ©xico.
    Veracruz, MΓ©xico.
    Moves
    15 May '03 19:54
    Originally posted by schweigi
    Well ... as a start, you have to be a pawnstar to play in the tournaments ...

GET A PAWNSTAR
    I became a pawn star member to participate in the tournaments, but there is no turneys open.
    Do we have a tournament calendar or something like that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree