Moves
    07 Mar '03 19:29
    How do you start a Tournament?
  2. Standard memberschweigi
    Member of Gonzo Clan
    Innsbruck, Austria
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 19:33
    Well ... as a start, you have to be a pawnstar to play in the tournaments ...

GET A PAWNSTAR
  3. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 19:54
    Originally posted by paper
    How do you start a Tournament?
    We can't start any tournaments. The site owners (Russ and Chris) start them for the members to play in. You do have to be a pawn star to play in them but Schweigi(?) didn't have to be rude about it. I'm not sure when the next one will start as they are not on any kind of schedule. Just keep checking and one will pop up open sooner or later.

Bryan
  4. Standard memberpaper
    tiger
    New Jersey, USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 20:13
    Originally posted by ChessNut
    We can't start any tournaments. The site owners (Russ and Chris) start them for the members to play in. You do have to be a pawn star to play in them but Schweigi(?) didn't have to be rude about it. I'm not sure when the next one will start as they are not on any kind of schedule. Just keep checking and one will pop up open sooner or later.

Bryan
    Thanks. 😀
  5. Standard memberpaper
    tiger
    New Jersey, USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 20:17
    Originally posted by schweigi
    Well ... as a start, you have to be a pawnstar to play in the tournaments ...

GET A PAWNSTAR
    Yeesh, give me a break. I just found the site today.
  6. Standard memberschweigi
    Member of Gonzo Clan
    Innsbruck, Austria
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 20:40
    Sorry ... I am not native English ... I didn't intend to be rude... so please excuse me ... I just wanted to make it clear that you have to be a pawnstar to play in the tournaments

7. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 20:47
    That's ok, I just didn't want it to be his first impression of the people here. I had a feeling that you didn't mean to be rude from what I've read on some of your posts I just wasn't sure if he would know that. 😉
  8. Standard memberpaper
    tiger
    New Jersey, USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 21:28
    Sorry ... I am not native English ... I didn't intend to be rude... so please excuse me ... I just wanted to make it clear that you have to be a pawnstar to play in the tournaments

Okay, sorry, no problem, I should have noticed the language difference.
  9. Standard memberschweigi
    Member of Gonzo Clan
    Innsbruck, Austria
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 21:29
    I am happy you understand it ... maybe we play sometimes???
  10. Standard memberpaper
    tiger
    New Jersey, USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 21:43
    I am happy you understand it ... maybe we play sometimes???
    Absolutely. Please challenge me, as you are currently refusing challenges. By the way, I just paid for Pawn Star subscription. It says it can take 48 hours to process, maybe more because I have free e-mail.
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Mar '03 22:02
    Absolutely. Please challenge me, as you are currently refusing challenges. By the way, I just paid for Pawn Star subscription. It says it can take 48 hours to process, maybe more because I have free e-mail.
    I just read your profile, and see you don't use databases. Although it's common knowledge here at RHP that program use is cheating, many people here, myself included, make use of substantial game databases and chess literature. This isn't considered cheating in correspondence chess, and that is what many of us take ourselves to be playing. Just consider this a head's up about what is accepted here and what isn't. If you want to limit your opponents to those who don't use databases, I'm sure that's O.K., but it might be a good idea to mention it at the start of your games as well as posting it in your profile.
  12. Donationwillatkins
    Frustrated...
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 03:28
    Originally posted by bbarr
    I just read your profile, and see you don't use databases. Although it's common knowledge here at RHP that program use is cheating, many people here, myself included, make use of substantial game databases and chess literature. This isn't considered cheating in correspondence chess, and that is what many of us take ourselves to be playing. Just consider ...[text shortened]... be a good idea to mention it at the start of your games as well as posting it in your profile.
    Bennett,

Is a database something other than a book of chess openings?

Thanks,

Bill
  13. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 03:521 edit
    Originally posted by willatkins
    Bennett,

Is a database something other than a book of chess openings?

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill,

A database is a collection of games that can be searched by replicating a position and then searching all of the games within the DB to pull out all of the games that had that same position at some point in the game. Whew! Sort of long winded explanation there, sorry about that.

It can be very powerful when used correctly. It is different than a chess engine in that it does not tell you what the 'best' move is. You still have to do that on your own.

Bryan
  14. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 09:57
    By the way, I just paid for Pawn Star subscription. It says it can take 48 hours to process, maybe more because I have free e-mail.
    I signed up some weeks ago and I got my pawnstar within less then an hour (although I signed up on the weekend). That's cool 😀
    th
  15. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 11:00
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Although it's common knowledge here at RHP that program use is cheating, many people here, myself included, make use of substantial game databases and chess literature. This isn't considered cheating in correspondence chess, ...
    is there something like 'official' correspondence chess rules? 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree