Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 20 Feb '07 02:10
    I was thinking about joining a tournament and wondered how many games are played. I am also curious as to how long an average tourny lasts.
  2. 20 Feb '07 02:50
    Originally posted by Steveo1959
    I was thinking about joining a tournament and wondered how many games are played. I am also curious as to how long an average tourny lasts.
    Depends on the group size.

    To find out the number of consecutive games for each tournament, take 1 away from the group size and then multiply the result by 2.

    A Group size of 16 will therefore result in (16-1)*2 = 30 games

    As to average time, how long is a piece of string? It depends on how fast the players play.
  3. 20 Feb '07 04:33
    Thanks for explaining it. How do I know when a tourny I joined starts...does it just show up in my games to play for my turn?
  4. 20 Feb '07 09:24
    Originally posted by Steveo1959
    Thanks for explaining it. How do I know when a tourny I joined starts...does it just show up in my games to play for my turn?
    The games will show up in your inbox awaiting your turn and you'll receive an e-mail notifying you of the start of the tournament.

    Good luck.
  5. 20 Feb '07 17:36
    Are all tournaments multi round? If a game says round 1 does that mean it is mult round? Do you have to win your section to advance to the next round? I am in 7 thematic tournaments and I did not know they would all start at the same time, I survive 42 games in round 1 but do I have to play all 7 in round 2?
  6. 20 Feb '07 17:55
    Originally posted by Pirahna Pack
    Are all tournaments multi round? If a game says round 1 does that mean it is mult round? Do you have to win your section to advance to the next round? I am in 7 thematic tournaments and I did not know they would all start at the same time, I survive 42 games in round 1 but do I have to play all 7 in round 2?
    All tournaments are played until there is a clear winner. Every round the winner (or everybody who tied for first) in any group moves onto the next round. The tournaments which are termed "Grands" typically have only one very large group. theoretically that will only last one round, but if three people tie for first, round two will contain one group with the three of them.... If two of them then tie for first, the other is eliminated and round three starts... etc.