1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 21:521 edit
    The rules are going to change. Auto-timeouts are going to be enforced, with no respect for vacation settings.

I know this is slightly controversial. Obviously, this rule wasn’t in place when existing tournaments started, but this new rule will apply to all tournaments, past and present. If you wish to protest, do so here….or forever hold your peace.

[All I have to do now is write the code to make this work…expect a few days delay before this kicks in. I will announce it here when its live.]

-Russ
  2. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 22:04
    Yeah!!!! 😀
  3. Steelers Country
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 02:14
    Originally posted by ChessNut
    Yeah!!!! 😀
    cool😀
  4. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 10:14
    good rule. We'll have to see how it works out with there being no respect for vacation settings, as these tourneys go on for AGES and most will be away on holiday or work at some point. But something was needed, especially in the quick fire ones.
  5. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 10:25
    As one of the star-impaired, my opinion is purely speculation. Nonetheless, I think this is a good policy. Personal games are one thing, but tournaments should have a stricter code. It is one thing to slow yourself and your opponent, but it is quite another to make others wait on you. Even at my local bowling competitions, there are rules as to how long people should have to wait for you to take your turn. It is only courteous.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 11:32
    There is a 'grace period' built in. So someone can manually time out, or wait until it is auto-timed out. This period is 2 days after the manual time out is available - regardless of the actual time out setting of the tournament.

-Russ
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 13:35
    I hate all these ad-mails...
    but why don't you send to all RHP users a newsletter every month or 6 times a year?
    This here would be a possibility to contact all tunanmentplayers that you change existing rules!
    Or (weaker): you send to all turnamentplayers a RHP-message...

I don't like the fact that there is nothing like a "news-page". okay, you have the anouncements in the forum... but there is no announcement about the changeing of rules for subscribing pawnstars.

got my message? nothing wrong with auto-T/O if you like them, but let the players know!!!
    th
  8. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 22:19
    Originally posted by thire
    I hate all these ad-mails...
    but why don't you send to all RHP users a newsletter every month or 6 times a year?
    This here would be a possibility to contact all tunanmentplayers that you change existing rules!
    Or (weaker): you send to all turnamentplayers a RHP-message...

I don't like the fact that there is nothing like a "news-page". okay, you have ...[text shortened]...
    got my message? nothing wrong with auto-T/O if you like them, but let the players know!!!
    th
    I take it, by your tone, that you just had this rule invoked on you?
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 23:13
    This code is not live yet. I will announce it when it is.

So don't panic yet - although, it is coming soon. (days)

-Russ
  10. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    04 Apr '03 01:26
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    I take it, by your tone, that you just had this rule invoked on you?
    I got timed out?
    no, not this time...
    just once and it was in a turney, right: I was just about to win... 1 hour after it was possible... :'( :'( :'(

@Russ:
    I don't panic. I just wanted to mention and bring another idea to your mind.
    (...and here another one: delete all ad on the welcomepage: When I am a new user I think it is even more probably to join when there are no ad on the welcomepage...)
  11. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    04 Apr '03 12:14
    Great news - but only if 7 day timeouts get increased to 8 days and 14 to 15 so that people can play in tournaments and still go on holiday.

Rhymester
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Apr '03 20:16
    Well, there is a two day grace period - so a 7 day tournie will not be auto-timed out until the 9th day.

-Russ
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Apr '03 20:23
    I have just run this for the first time (whilst holding my breath).

Just 9 games ended automatically. The result?

At long last, the first RHP tournie, the Alpha Grand, has now finished! Phew!

Started on the 2002-11-11, ended 2003-04-04. RIP. Quite long enough!

Congratulations RmX - now its official.

-Russ
    😵
  14. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    04 Apr '03 20:39
    Well if there's a two day grace period it should work well. Takes all that guilt and recriminations away from the players.. and puts it firmly at your door Russ 😉

Rhymester
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    04 Apr '03 22:27
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have just run this for the first time (whilst holding my breath).

Just 9 games ended automatically. The result?

At long last, the first RHP tournie, the Alpha Grand, has now finished! Phew!

Started on the 2002-11-11, ended 2003-04-04. RIP. Quite long enough!

Congratulations RmX - now its official.

-Russ
    😵
    Damn fine work Russ, thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree