1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 14:02
    I Have not played in a tournament yet but would quite like to, however....I am a 'no more than 10 games at a time' kind of chap (my brain can't cope with any more) and usually have 7 or 8 on the go, which I am comfortable with. So my question is; how many games would I be taking on if, for example, I entered a banded threesome with 10 groups of 3. I would presumably have 27 potential opponents? So how many of them would I be playing at any one time? How does it work, in a nutshell...
  2. Standard memberGraemeK
    Beginner
    Toronto
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 14:13
    I just started a three-some. So I play only four games against two players. Try that!
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 15:18
    Originally posted by Indonesia Phil
    I Have not played in a tournament yet but would quite like to, however....I am a 'no more than 10 games at a time' kind of chap (my brain can't cope with any more) and usually have 7 or 8 on the go, which I am comfortable with. So my question is; how many games would I be taking on if, for example, I entered a banded threesome with 10 groups of 3. I w ...[text shortened]... s? So how many of them would I be playing at any one time? How does it work, in a nutshell...
    If you look at any tournament it will tell you the group size.Although it says "group size may vary" it will not vary by much.
    You will play two games against each other person in your group.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 16:42
    Ah, then I misunderstood. I assumed that one was banded together with 2 others with whom one would then form a team who played everybody else, (in other groups of 3) whereas those 2 become you opponents; got it. So what happens if by some miracle one were to win ones' group; is that it or do you then go on to play the other group winners?
  5. Standard memberGraemeK
    Beginner
    Toronto
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 19:241 edit
    As far as I'm aware you go onto the next round and then the same pairings happen (I.e. same number of games) until the final round when you win :-) You should still play the same number of games each round as far as I know. I've only won one tournament so I have limited experience in reaching the end... Good luck to ya!
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31 Mar '12 23:11
    Thanks, now I get it.....
  7. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 10:19
    It gets a little more complicated if there are drawn scores in early rounds.
    This results in more than one player going through.
    In fact you can get all 3 people going through if they all get the same score

so instead of a nice number divisible by 3, there start to be "overhangs" or whatever they are called. So sometimes one or 2 groups in the 2nd round does need to be a 4.

Finally, in the final round of a 27, where there should be 3 players you can end up with even more.
    In fact I have 2 of these types of tournaments which have ballooned to 5 in the final round, which means you end up with 8 games in each final!

I am not sure if you can get even more - worst case might be 7 or 8 perhaps depending on how the algorithm works! eek...
  8. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    10 Apr '12 10:07
    as it happens i just had a 3-some tournament go into round 3 with 6 players, and it seems they split that into 2 groups of 3.
    So there will be an extra round in this case, and it could be that only 2 make it into the final.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 17:13
    Whatever the numbers in each round, groups are the same size as the original groups, except for the overhangs where they occur. Sometimes you can get several "final" rounds because the final two keep winning one game each ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree