1. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 03:181 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Those shouldn't be allowed as that might make it impossible to "generate better and more interesting matchups in the later rounds".
    Watching the miracle finalist (unknown before the tournament) play against the tournament favourite wouldn't be exciting to you?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 03:42
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Watching the miracle finalist (unknown before the tournament) play against the tournament favourite wouldn't be exciting to you?
    Who are you? My posts were obvious sarcasm; I see NO benefit to an original pairings tourney here. Let the players play whoever and give everybody an equal chance in the draw; isn't it just as interesting to have the top two play in the first round as in the finals?
  3. Joined
    15 Apr '04
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 09:10
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I just thought it would be good to let know people what is the "Original pairing" in the new tournaments:basically it means that the top player will be paired against the lowest and so on until all pairings are made.
    A warning to avoid people's disappointment when they are paired against some 2000+ and don't know why.......
    Ravello

It doesn't change your point, but I thought original pairing worked as follows:

In a tournament with 10 people, 1st ranked plays 6th ranked, 2nd ranked plays 7th ranked etc. etc. I may be wrong of course.

I think it's good that people are warned. Perhaps 'original pairing' should be explained better in the tournament description...

Kev
  4. Joined
    01 Mar '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 10:481 edit
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Are you sure this is right Ravello?

From my own experience of this method I was the 16th ranked player out of 32 (a point above 17th). He got to play the top ranked 2,200+ player, I got the guy ranked 32nd. So 1v(n/2)+1, 2v(n/2)+2, 3v(n/2)+3 etc
    Peakite / Kev, you´re right. I noticed the same. In a 64 player tournament, you´re in for a tough match if you´re listed as no. 33, 34, 35 and so on. So, when you notice you´re listed in these positions try to win a game as soon as possible to reach spot 32 (or higher). You´ll then play the lowest ranked players...
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 12:55
    Who are you? My posts were obvious sarcasm; I see NO benefit to an original pairings tourney here. Let the players play whoever and give everybody an equal chance in the draw; isn't it just as interesting to have the top two play in the first round as in the finals?
    you wrote to the self-proclaimed master of sarcasm... 😀
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 14:24
    What a crappy pairing system!!

Just take a look at the latest LongHaul tournament Tournament 870 where lower rated players must face opponents rated 400 points above them in the best of cases.........

Yes,it can be good for OTB tournaments where they want to keep the good show for the later rounds,but I don't see the purpose of doing it here.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 15:32
    Originally posted by Jeronimo
    Peakite / Kev, you´re right. I noticed the same. In a 64 player tournament, you´re in for a tough match if you´re listed as no. 33, 34, 35 and so on. So, when you notice you´re listed in these positions try to win a game as soon as possible to reach spot 32 (or higher). You´ll then play the lowest ranked players...
    correct. based on Rav's original post I thought I'd get an even game, as it is I'm playing a 2000+ player.

You pays your money, you takes your chances though...

Andy
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 15:34
    What a crappy pairing system!!

Just take a look at the latest LongHaul tournament Tournament 870 where lower rated players must face opponents rated 400 points above them in the best of cases.........

Yes,it can be good for OTB tournaments where they want to keep the good show for the later rounds,but I don't see the purpose of doing it here.
    What are you worrying about that tournament for? It won't finish for 3 years. And if a lower ranked player is to win it they will have to defeat a much higher rated player at some point.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 17:50
    What are you worrying about that tournament for? It won't finish for 3 years. And if a lower ranked player is to win it they will have to defeat a much higher rated player at some point.
    Maybe lower ranked players would prefer to have at least an opportunity to play someone less than 400 points above them. The system that is being used here ensures that every first round match is a mismatch. That's not the way to encourage players to enter tournament.
  10. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 21:27
    Maybe lower ranked players would prefer to have at least an opportunity to play someone less than 400 points above them. The system that is being used here ensures that every first round match is a mismatch. That's not the way to encourage players to enter tournament.
    Though I wholey agree with you, every non banded tourament that is opened has entrants rated as low as 800's, 900's, so on and so forth. I look at every tournament that is opened and I'm curious as to what they're doing there. XNZ is right in the fact that upsets do happen. They're possible but not probable. And if they do happen, its usually not against a player rated 1000 points more. As I said, I'm curious as to why such low rated players enter these tournaments, they've not a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Yet they still show up everytime.
  11. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 23:31
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    Though I wholey agree with you, every non banded tourament that is opened has entrants rated as low as 800's, 900's, so on and so forth. I look at every tournament that is opened and I'm curious as to what they're doing there. XNZ is right in the fact that upsets do happen. They're possible but not probable. And if they do happen, its usually not aga ...[text shortened]... naments, they've not a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Yet they still show up everytime.
    the best way to learn is to play those that are better than you (or so I was once told). Surely, this is an excellent opportunity for lower rated players. 90% of my mistakes are blatently obvious, a lower rated player will let me off (by missing it) a higher rated player will punish (almost) every significant mistake - hence the lower rated players have the chance to learn - let them enter.
  12. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 00:22
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    the best way to learn is to play those that are better than you (or so I was once told). Surely, this is an excellent opportunity for lower rated players. 90% of my mistakes are blatently obvious, a lower rated player will let me off (by missing it) a higher rated player will punish (almost) every significant mistake - hence the lower rated players have the chance to learn - let them enter.
    I'm not trying to stop them from entering. I think though that the level of play by those "higher rated players" is far too advanced for those who are playing at the 800-1000 level. They should try a book if they are that serious about getting better. Either that or a chess engine. I hear those do wonders for the rating(though little for learning).
  13. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 02:201 edit
    Genius, I could have said the same for the Sprint duel Tournament 864.
    Go ask lower rated players if they are happy of that pairing system.........
  14. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 02:23
    Game 1428825
    Game 1428826
    Definitely not who I thought I'd end up playing in round 1.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 03:05
    I think that what is happening is that they are using a Swiss type pairing system; the last tournament I played in used one too. But in a Swiss system if you lose in the first round, you keep playing and play someone who lost too. But in the Duels if you lose, you're out. Thus, the Swiss system is being used where it was never intended to be with the result that EVERY matchup is a first round mismatch and thus virtually EVERY player in the lower half is done after one round. That ain't cricket.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree