Just a warning,beware of the pairings!

Just a warning,beware of the pairings!

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
15 Nov 05

I just thought it would be good to let know people what is the "Original pairing" in the new tournaments:basically it means that the top player will be paired against the lowest and so on until all pairings are made.
A warning to avoid people's disappointment when they are paired against some 2000+ and don't know why.......

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
15 Nov 05

oh no, a 2000 rated player in the first round. I'm shaking in my boots, shaking from laughing so hard lol.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
15 Nov 05

Obviously I was not warning you,since ,before the timeouts,you were rated 2200+,but I was warning other patzers like me who risk to enter a tournament in which they won't find any fun at all.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
15 Nov 05

Originally posted by Ravello
Obviously I was not warning you,since ,before the timeouts,you were rated 2200+,but I was warning other patzers like me who risk to enter a tournament in which they won't find any fun at all.
Actually you would probably get the best of it with a rating of approx. 1500 seeing as this is the middle ground of players entering tournaments you would probably get somone about your rating most of the time.

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
15 Nov 05

Originally posted by Freddie2004
Actually you would probably get the best of it with a rating of approx. 1500 seeing as this is the middle ground of players entering tournaments you would probably get somone about your rating most of the time.
You're right but still this kind of pairings is a lot unfair to lower players and clearly favours top dogs.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
15 Nov 05

You're right but still this kind of pairings is a lot unfair to lower players and clearly favours top dogs.
The point of Original Pairings is to generate better and more interesting matchups in the later rounds. The first and second seeds (assuming they win each round) will play in the final.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
15 Nov 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
The point of Original Pairings is to generate better and more interesting matchups in the later rounds. The first and second seeds (assuming they win each round) will play in the final.
Why not just say the two top seeds play in the Finals and avoid all the annoying bother of having these great players have to waste their time playing the peasantry?

Sais

Berks.

Moves
15 Nov 05

Are you sure this is right Ravello?

From my own experience of this method I was the 16th ranked player out of 32 (a point above 17th). He got to play the top ranked 2,200+ player, I got the guy ranked 32nd. So 1v(n/2)+1, 2v(n/2)+2, 3v(n/2)+3 etc

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
15 Nov 05

i hope the 3(c) penalty is waived for the long haul dual ... our grandkids will have to play the final rounds for us.

NHE

Moves
15 Nov 05

Depends I enter open tornaments I dont expect to win what I do find is I learn maybe one or two things that I might remeber its a great way to learn being beaten by a knight revealing the queen I have used it a couple of times ...slowly I have gone from a 1000 to a 1200 player...struggling to hold it but trying....the other thing I have found that a lot of the higher rated playrs are generous with advice for us poor "peasents" freely talking about techniques that might help improve our game...... Finally just once in a while you get that real buzz from beating one of the top dogs ok only twice but they do give you a real buzz when you do........

Moves
15 Nov 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Why not just say the two top seeds play in the Finals and avoid all the annoying bother of having these great players have to waste their time playing the peasantry?
it's very important thet the better players put us peasants in our place periodically.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
16 Nov 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
Upsets happen all the time.

a

Moves
16 Nov 05

"Life's not fair.

Get used to it."

The Rude©

who knows?

Moves
16 Nov 05

Originally posted by abejnood
"Life's not fair.

Get used to it."
Thanks for your pills of wisdom,I couldn't live without 'em.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Nov 05

Upsets happen all the time.
Those shouldn't be allowed as that might make it impossible to "generate better and more interesting matchups in the later rounds".