1. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 03:08
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    Game 1428825
    Game 1428826
    Definitely not who I thought I'd end up playing in round 1.
    Well that isn't exactly applicable; as the From's Gambit tournament uses the Random pairing option, not the Original pairing option.

Tough break though. Guess you don't get the tshirt.

--tmetzler
  2. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 03:24
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Well that isn't exactly applicable; as the From's Gambit tournament uses the Random pairing option, not the Original pairing option.

Tough break though. Guess you don't get the tshirt.

--tmetzler
    Oh, right you are. I'd like to think I gave him a run for his money... but I know I got the business.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 04:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Maybe lower ranked players would prefer to have at least an opportunity to play someone less than 400 points above them. The system that is being used here ensures that every first round match is a mismatch. That's not the way to encourage players to enter tournament.
    There are currently more banded tournaments starting than unbanded tournaments. If lower rated players wish to play players around their own level they can enter those. Many players enjoy facing much better players. Tournaments are a very good opportunity to do so.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 21:17
    Maybe lower ranked players would prefer to have at least an opportunity to play someone less than 400 points above them. The system that is being used here ensures that every first round match is a mismatch. That's not the way to encourage players to enter tournament.
    The problem is is that format is usually used for Swiss tournaments. Swiss are not knockouts. Hence after that first round, your competition gets closer and closer to your ability (assuming no upsets).

However your argument is assinine. Why don't the 1 and 2 seeds play in the first round of the NCAA tournament? Answer: Because each round would be less exciting than the one before it. Do the 16 seeds say oh no he's 400 points better than me, maybe I should just piss and moan since I suck anyway. Open tournaments always have a large range of ratings. Play a reserve tournament (banded rating) if you want to avoid the big boys.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 21:19
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    Game 1428825
    Game 1428826
    Definitely not who I thought I'd end up playing in round 1.
    Funny I'm playing Quirene in the Long Haul Duel 64 II. Oh well. Either I play a good game and learn something or I don't. I knew what I was in for when I signed up.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 01:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 01:26
    Originally posted by zebano
    Funny I'm playing Quirene in the Long Haul Duel 64 II. Oh well. Either I play a good game and learn something or I don't. I knew what I was in for when I signed up.
    I knew there was the possibility I could play Quirine in round 1, I just didn't think it probable.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 14:54
    Hey, moron, take a gander at my rating and tell me if you think I'm "afraid of the big boys". The tournament rules would FAVOR me, but I still think it's unfair to lower rated players. If you knew anything about the NCAA's you'd know the best rounds are usually the early ones where you get to see upset. And by the way, dimwit, at least the NCAA's ...[text shortened]... 10 would play 2, etc. etc. so every game would be a paper mismatch. Figure it out, chucklehead.
    Took a look at your rating. But it doesn't change anything. If you know the setup going in, how can you complain when you're paired against some considerably higher rated than yourself? Sure the NCAA's format probably has a better chance for an upset, but that doesn't mean it cannot happen. And it would make more sense if the setup were used in a Swiss tournament, not a knockout, but I said that already.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Nov '05 23:46
    Originally posted by zebano
    Took a look at your rating. But it doesn't change anything. If you know the setup going in, how can you complain when you're paired against some considerably higher rated than yourself? Sure the NCAA's format probably has a better chance for an upset, but that doesn't mean it cannot happen. And it would make more sense if the setup were used in a Swiss tournament, not a knockout, but I said that already.
    The point is it's a poor system. Yes, if someone joins the tourney knowing they're going to be involved in a mismatch that on them, but why use a pairing system that insures all lopsided matchups in the 1st round? That's all I'm saying. What Ravello was saying is that this information is not known by all players; probably most who know what an "Original" pairing system is think that it will use NCAA type pairings.If we're going to use "Original" pairings, if seems to me the NCAA system would be better for more people; I don't think most people want mismatches.
  10. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 05:14
    i think there is somethiing wrong with the random groupings too ..

1st round seems ok ... but in the 2nd round the strong players all seem to play each other in group 2 ... 2nd round doesnt seem to be properly randomized.
  11. Norway
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 10:27
    Original pairing do give some original results, I ended up playing against the same opponent in the first round of both Sprint Duel 64 IX and Sprint Duel 64 X 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree