Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 06 Sep '06 11:56
    I'm a big fan of the long haul tournaments but I haven't seen any posted in quite some time. I scrolled back through 5 pages of tournaments before finding the last one # 1254 (Long Haul XXV), we're now at #1379 ??!!

    Apologies if I missed one, but if not, just wondering if maybe overall interest has waned for this format ?


    tks
    Frank
  2. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    07 Sep '06 05:09
    Originally posted by ROOMS2004
    I'm a big fan of the long haul tournaments but I haven't seen any posted in quite some time. I scrolled back through 5 pages of tournaments before finding the last one # 1254 (Long Haul XXV), we're now at #1379 ??!!

    Apologies if I missed one, but if not, just wondering if maybe overall interest has waned for this format ?


    tks
    Frank
    I have noticed that also.
  3. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    07 Sep '06 06:11
    Bring back our precious long haul duals/quartets/splits/grands!

    Preferably more of the smaller ones as it's easier to control game load then, but anything would be appretiated.
  4. Standard member cludi
    Blogger
    07 Sep '06 06:20 / 2 edits
    Perhaps Russ is looking at how the result of this vote developes
    Vote 11
    Not many in favour of long time controls
  5. 07 Sep '06 10:53
    Originally posted by cludi
    Perhaps Russ is looking at how the result of this vote developes
    Vote 11
    Not many in favour of long time controls
    Thanks for the info...........just voted
  6. 07 Sep '06 15:33
    Originally posted by cludi
    Perhaps Russ is looking at how the result of this vote developes
    Vote 11
    Not many in favour of long time controls
    but they are always filled.
  7. 07 Sep '06 20:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by trevor33
    but they are always filled.
    I like them. Maybe one for every 50 tournaments made seems to be a good balance.
  8. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    08 Sep '06 04:49
    Originally posted by cludi
    Perhaps Russ is looking at how the result of this vote developes
    Vote 11
    Not many in favour of long time controls
    Woah when did vid get added?
  9. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    08 Sep '06 04:53
    Originally posted by cludi
    Perhaps Russ is looking at how the result of this vote developes
    Vote 11
    Not many in favour of long time controls
    I pay to play in tournaments I like.
    This new format does not appeal to me at all.
    Glad this happened before I renewed,
  10. 09 Sep '06 15:09
    Originally posted by cludi
    Perhaps Russ is looking at how the result of this vote developes
    Vote 11
    Not many in favour of long time controls
    It doesn't really matter if majority isn't interested in long haul tournaments, it's whether or they get filled once they're open. Let the minority enter these tourneys, it's no skin off anyone elses noses.
  11. Standard member cludi
    Blogger
    09 Sep '06 17:52
    Originally posted by irax
    It doesn't really matter if majority isn't interested in long haul tournaments, it's whether or they get filled once they're open. Let the minority enter these tourneys, it's no skin off anyone elses noses.
    I think it does matter for the site admins to some extend.
    But only as a guideline on how to mix the time controls in tournaments. Of course we'll have long hauls in the future (fortunately, I might add, cause I play a lot of them myself) but the majority of tournaments are likely to be with other, and shorter, time controls...
  12. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    10 Sep '06 04:29
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I pay to play in tournaments I like.
    This new format does not appeal to me at all.
    Glad this happened before I renewed,
    Have you tried requesting the tournaments you want? Russ and Chris have almost without exception started new tournament of different types when asked.
  13. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    10 Sep '06 05:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Have you tried requesting the tournaments you want? Russ and Chris have almost without exception started new tournament of different types when asked.
    I did not think it was a problem for the first few weeks.
    But when I noticed that banded tourneys were beimg started even while previous banded tourneys had not even filled and virtually ALL other tourney types were not being started I checked the polls and saw that my choices were in the minority.
    I am certain that the decision to only have tourneys of omly one ot two types was well thought out by Russ and Chris. But for me, it is not the level of service which I am willing to pay money to use. My gameload has decreased over thirty percent in the past 6 weeks,
    What I saw happening looked too silly.
    I was concerned that commenting on this situation to Russ or Chris without sounding facetious or condescending would be very precarious.
    Like the man who finds that his favorite ice crean parlor now only sells chocolate and vanilla because they are what the majority of people like, I am required to search for strawberry ice cream elsewhere.
    I am not leaving RHP just no longer subscribing,
    Maybe things will change,
  14. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    14 Sep '06 17:09
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I did not think it was a problem for the first few weeks.
    But when I noticed that banded tourneys were beimg started even while previous banded tourneys had not even filled and virtually ALL other tourney types were not being started I checked the polls and saw that my choices were in the minority.
    I am certain that the decision to only have tourneys of ...[text shortened]... ce cream elsewhere.
    I am not leaving RHP just no longer subscribing,
    Maybe things will change,
    You can't play tournies if you're not a subscriber though...
  15. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    14 Sep '06 20:59
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    You can't play tournies if you're not a subscriber though...
    I assumed that since there was no response from Russ in the either Tournament or Site Ideas Forums to lack of tournies that my complaint was of little concern (Replies to other items can be found at the same time period). When I cancelled my subscription I specifically mentioned that the lack of tourneys was the reason for cancelling all I got in reply was a computer generated emnail thanking me for my past support.
    I was suprised at the lack of response but I guess it is, in a way, an affirmation of my decision.
    Outside of this problem, I have nothing but good things to say about RHP.

    Angela