1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 23:23
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I assumed that since there was no response from Russ in the either Tournament or Site Ideas Forums to lack of tournies that my complaint was of little concern (Replies to other items can be found at the same time period). When I cancelled my subscription I specifically mentioned that the lack of tourneys was the reason for cancelling all I got in reply was ...[text shortened]... y decision.
    Outside of this problem, I have nothing but good things to say about RHP.

Angela
    Having met Russ and Chris on more than one occasion i can assure you that they take great pride in this site. I have posted many suggestions for things in the past and some have become reality, some have not. I think you are taking this a little too much to heart, i wouldn't be surprised if things swing back in the other direction in the near future. The only reason there are so many banded tournaments at the moment is because so many people complained that there weren't enough of them! Admin are in a bit of a lose lose situation really as they can't keep everyone happy all of the time. There are things I find annoying about this site but if i weigh up the pro's and the cons, the pro's win every time.

Did you try requesting a tournament? So far i've always got what i asked for. Out of interest, what don't you like about banded tournies? The competition is stronger in your band than it is in open tournaments, do you prefer playing weaker opponents? I don't get it...๐Ÿ˜•
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 01:153 edits
    looking at the vote i see that 0/30, 0/45, 0/80, 1/7, 1/14, 1/21, 3/7,3/14, 3/21, 7/7, 7/14, 7/21 and 14/14 time controls are ALL more popular than 21/21.

Making sure that the local icecream shop has lime, strawberry and blueberry, neapolitan, cherry, cinnamon, pineapple etc is more important than stocking brussel sprout flavour icecream๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking at the "in progress" tournaments page last page (currently page 18), i see that long haul tournaments and large knockout tournaments can drag on almost forever. Having a tournament take 8 years to finish is surely not a desirable feature.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 02:55
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Having met Russ and Chris on more than one occasion i can assure you that they take great pride in this site. I have posted many suggestions for things in the past and some have become reality, some have not. I think you are taking this a little too much to heart, i wouldn't be surprised if things swing back in the other direction in the near future. The ...[text shortened]... n it is in open tournaments, do you prefer playing weaker opponents? I don't get it...๐Ÿ˜•
    I have never questioned Russ or Chris' pride in this site.
    It would be nice if they would have at least replied to the initial post in this thread, which by the way, was not mine.
    When one sends feedback the very first screen has a suggestion that to receive a faster response you should post to the forun.
    I did just that and have yet to receive any response at all from Russ or Chris.
    You say that "I've always got what I asked for".
    Must be nice, no wonder you are attempting to justify someone elses actions when you had nothimg to do with it.
    Maybe if you asked Russ or Chris to answer the post in this forun or the one I started a while back in Site Ideas they would respond, lol.
    You must feel that I am attacking them otherwise you would not have been so caustic about my not wanting to play in banded tourneys.
    You seem to want to make this personal between you and I, but I will have none of that.

Angela
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 03:04
    Originally posted by flexmore
    looking at the vote i see that 0/30, 0/45, 0/80, 1/7, 1/14, 1/21, 3/7,3/14, 3/21, 7/7, 7/14, 7/21 and 14/14 time controls are ALL more popular than 21/21.

Making sure that the local icecream shop has lime, strawberry and blueberry, neapolitan, cherry, cinnamon, pineapple etc is more important than stocking brussel sprout flavour icecream๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking at ...[text shortened]... almost forever. Having a tournament take 8 years to finish is surely not a desirable feature.
    And, if you would, list the variety of DIFFERENT types of tourneys held in the previous 4 weeks from my initial post.
    Not many flavors there.

Angela
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 09:16
    It would be nice if they would have at least replied to the initial post in this thread, which by the way, was not mine.
    When one sends feedback the very first screen has a suggestion that to receive a faster response you should post to the forun.
    I did just that and have yet to receive any respo ...[text shortened]... eem to want to make this personal between you and I, but I will have none of that.

Angela
    Oooh, you've got the wrong end of the stick completely here, i am not attacking you or trying to make anything personal here. If my post was offensive (i can't imagine how it would be..) then i apologise, i'm not entering into this discussion to have an argument, far from it, i'm just attempting to to point out that the site is experimenting with different formats at the moment, nothing more than that.

One thing i will say is i know Russ has been on holiday over the last three weeks or so. Chris is working on something new, while at the same time he is actively participating in chess here for the first time in about two years. As far as i can gather, he is doing that to gain a better understanding of the site from a users perspective, which can only benefit the site in the long run. I am guessing here, but i would imagine there is probably a massive back log of Feedback to plow through as a result of Russ's holiday. I was getting rather peeved myself a couple of months ago as there weren't enough tournaments (of any type) and complained quite a lot about that. I agree, there are too many banded tournaments now, you are right! This is almost an exact reverse of the previous situation when there weren't enough, LOL. Personally i think there should be a permanent unbanded tournament open to entrants ALL the time. They always fill up, there's no reason why we couldn't get an algorithm going to auto-start these as they are immensely popular. These things take time though, all i'm saying is you just need to ask a bit louder. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Again, i have never wished to make anything 'personal', i'm only spending my time writing this because i'd like you to stay. The site needs as many strong, non engine using players t can get!
  6. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 12:00
    Originally posted by cludi
    Perhaps Russ is looking at how the result of this vote developes
    [vid]11[/vid]
    Not many in favour of long time controls
    sorry, not many forum readers are in favour of long time controls - and who'd be surprised at that, as being active on forums generally suggests active in games.

If the vote had been announced to the whole base of playing members on the site (via a PM to all users) then the response may be different, or at least will be a true reflection on the opinion of the entire site not just those who read the forums.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 12:05
    I did just that and have yet to receive any respo ...[text shortened]... eem to want to make this personal between you and I, but I will have none of that.

Angela
    If this thread had been posted in site ideas I'm sure it'd have had more attention from Admin.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:30
    Originally posted by rhb
    If this thread had been posted in site ideas I'm sure it'd have had more attention from Admin.
    Look for the thread called named "Why only banded tournaments" in Site Ideas,
    I started the thread last week and never got a response from Admin.
  9. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:33
    Marinkatomb, I am glad that we are not in dispute.

Angela
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 21:07
    Give it some time, they'll get to it in the end (if not, send a link to it in a site feedback message).
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 23:35
    Originally posted by cludi
    I think it does matter for the site admins to some extend.
    But only as a guideline on how to mix the time controls in tournaments. Of course we'll have long hauls in the future (fortunately, I might add, cause I play a lot of them myself) but the majority of tournaments are likely to be with other, and shorter, time controls...
    The tournament entry system should be changed.

Each user should be able to tick a box, declaring their interest in a certain tournament from a list of all different tournament types (Rating band/unbanded, size of group, time controls, pairing method and size).

Once a certain number of players have declared interest in a certain tournament type, create the tournament in the tournaments screen as present (albeit, partially filled). Leave the tournament open for a wee while (a week or something) for others to join and hopefully fill it up. If it isn't full, kick it off anyway, once the number of players is over the min.

A very important safeguard would be needed with this system though. When the tournament gets created, a message would need to be sent to the people who had pre-declared interest in the tournament, which says something like "Such and such a tournament will start in 1 week, click here to confirm that you want to take part."

Only once the user has clicked on the link are they officially entered into the tournament, which has a definite start date of 1 week's time (say).

Without that safeguard, people could register interest, and then forget about it and suddenly they could be entered into tournaments that they are no longer interested in.

Its quite a different implementation, but I think it'd be a great step forward. I can't figure out how this wouldn't pretty much keep everyone happy.

D
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 23:35
    Communicating with admin through the forums does not work. Send them feedback.

D
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 11:23
    Marinkatomb, I am glad that we are not in dispute.

Angela
    Me too ๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree