1. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 01:16
    I joined the 1550-1599 tournament.. but.. one day later, my highest rating after 30 days dropped from 1591 to 1531.. which now qualifies me for the 1500-1549..
    Is it considered rude for me to be in two of those tournaments? I was going to withdraw from the first, but thought I might stay in.. but don't want people thinking I'm doing something that I shouldn't be doing.
    MIODude.
  2. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 03:25
    You know, I don't think that exact situation has ever come up before!

I don't have a problem personally with you joining both. I probably wouldn't do it myself, but if YOU want to be in two, that's your decision.

It's no worse than opponents I've encountered in banded tournaments because they have been away for a while and experienced a rating slump - their "last 30 days" rating clearly doesn't reflect their actual ability.

I think if we start trying to police that kind of thing, we'll end up with a complete nightmare.
  3. Copenhagen
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 07:541 edit
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong, stay in both of them, it seems there's not enough participants anyway.

Edit: Oh. looks like there's plenty of players in that group, but I still think you should stay. Besides 50 ratingpoints is not a significant change.
  4. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 10:00
    You are around your own rating, I assume, not dropped about 300 or 400 (or a 1000 like a certain unnamed player did) and joining a tournament well below your level.

I think it is okay to join both tournaments. Good luck in both!
  5. Standard memberOuermyhte
    Muffy rocks your God
    Stars
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 11:05
    heh, im in the same situation. as noone has said anything negative bout doing it, im gona go ahead and join the other one.
    my rating has increased rather than decreased, so itl only be unfair on me 🙂
  6. Yorkshire
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 14:23
    Originally posted by Aiko
    You are around your own rating, I assume, not dropped about 300 or 400 (or a 1000 like a certain unnamed player did) and joining a tournament well below your level.

I think it is okay to join both tournaments. Good luck in both!
    I agree, a couple of bad losses and a timeout can easily drop you 50 - 100 points and can make you eligable for 2 or 3 branded tournaments.

Personally, I think its best to enter the highest rated tournaments you can to play potentially better players, as winning a tournament well below your level is not likely to improve your game.

Whilst at the same time it is nice to win on or around the level that you play at.

7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 01:30
    Originally posted by MIODude
    I joined the 1550-1599 tournament.. but.. one day later, my highest rating after 30 days dropped from 1591 to 1531.. which now qualifies me for the 1500-1549..
    Is it considered rude for me to be in two of those tournaments? I was going to withdraw from the first, but thought I might stay in.. but don't want people thinking I'm doing something that I shouldn't be doing.
    MIODude.
    Don't know if this has been mentioned to you but you won't be able to join because your rating in the last 30 days is too high.
  8. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 01:53
    Its because my 30 day high rating dropped yesterday from 1591 to 1531, so I'm currently enrolled in both.. One has already started.
  9. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 02:12
    I think the honorable path is for you to pick the one you beleive is most fair for both you and your opponents and go with that one alone. Remember, the people in the lower rated banded tourney are expecting to play people of similar caliber, and deserve to have exactly that.
  10. over your head
    Moves
    24 Apr '05 23:27
    Jira is currently enroled in 3
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 09:12
    No i think it's fine for you to enter two, as long as your rating drop is a natural one not due to timeout. I think it's totally unethical for players to enter tournaments that they are way too strong for (a 2000 player in a 1400-1599 for example *couph*..Jira....err did i say that?)
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 09:37
    Originally posted by MIODude
    MIODude.
    I'm not too sure how I feel about what you are doing. On the one hand, I don't mind it as the ratings spread is very narrow, so its not as though you're joining a tournament which there is no way in hell you should be joining.

But, then on the other hand, I'm really pissed that Jira has joined the 1800-1849. He/she is obviously a 2000+ player, and what's worse is that he has also joined the two bands below as well. I'm withdrawing from the tournament, as I could do without the games, but felt that I had a good chance in such a small band. Other players have also withdrawn, presumably due to the presence of Jira.

I think it's disgraceful, and I think its time Russ did something to prevent this happening. There have been some useful suggestions on how to achieve this...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=22232

D
  13. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 18:49
    With me, its more the opposite. my skill level is 1450-1550 around I'd say.. I fluctuate between there. I had a couple of timeouts in games that brought me up to 1591. I can compete and win/lose against anyone in the ranges of 1350-1550. I even lose to some guys below 1300 occassionally.. (trying to improve on that!!).. but.. I've only ever won twice against someone over 1600., so.. I'm definately not taking advantage of anyone.. and.. I've never had a game timeout on me, nor resign to free up room for more games, so.. my rating drops are always accurate. The rating increase sometimes are fabricated due to opponents forgetting about the games..
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Apr '05 23:46
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I'm not too sure how I feel about what you are doing. On the one hand, I don't mind it as the ratings spread is very narrow, so its not as though you're joining a tournament which there is no way in hell you should be joining.

But, then on the other hand, I'm really pissed that Jira has joined the 1800-1849. He/she is obviously a 2000+ player, and ...[text shortened]... on how to achieve this...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=22232

D
    It's a disgrace! This player needs to be sorted out! Anyone can do that. I could have resigned all my games and entered 20 1100-1299 tournaments and win them all if i wanted to, but what's the point?? Whoohoo, anyone looking at my profile will seee that im taking the piss and that it was deliberate manipulation of the system on my behalf that racked up so many victories. Where is the honour in that?? Would that make me a Champion? NO!! That would make me a cheat! It's a complete liberty!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree