1. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 17:57
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    Maybe one non-subscriber one every 6 months, or even three. Maybe lets non subs see how interesting subscribing can be and encourange them to do it!

Make it a no prize tourney. Can't hurt
    All you have to do is pay a one months subscription for 5.95$ and enter a few tournaments, which you will be allowed to carry on competing in even if you do not pay the 2nd month's subscription. It isn't asking that much now is it?
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 18:54
    Originally posted by RAZORS EDGE
    hi there.

please could sum1 tell me if there are any tournaments to take part for non-subscribers? if there is, where & when?

thanx
    You have been a member for 966 days and have made 1,012 moves, just over 1 per day.

Could you imagine just how long it would take you to finish a tournament?

😛🙄😉
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 05:10
    If someone joins a tournament and is on the waiting list, but the tournament hasn't yet begun, then their subscription runs out and isn't renewed, will they still be able to play in the tournament?
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 07:32
    Originally posted by MerchantParkPro
    If someone joins a tournament and is on the waiting list, but the tournament hasn't yet begun, then their subscription runs out and isn't renewed, will they still be able to play in the tournament?
    Yes.
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 14:45
    the problem with nonsub tournies is not quite so simple ...

many of the positions would be filled by people who are just browsing for the day ... they enter the tournament never to return.

and so many players will lose games by timeout ... this means that the opponents never have a game ... and also lose interest.

to have the format work :
    it must have large group size ... this way each player would have many opponents - not all of whom would lose by timeout.

further ... the tournament should not drag on indefinitely ... it should be a sharp and fast experience ...giving a taste of, but not being a long term substitute for, subscription.
    and so the time schedule should have zero timeout and a timebank of only a couple of weeks.

if it was 2 rounds ... groupsize 20 .... 0/21 time control ... then up to 400 players could be accomodated and it would all be over in just 84 days.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 12:08
    and every non-sub would have 40 games at hand....But yes, why not
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 04:01
    Perhaps a single-elimination knockout tournament? It would only give you one game at a time.

Other problems still apply to it though. Just felt like solving ONE problem with it 🙂
  8. Joined
    27 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '06 20:20
    many of the positions would be filled by people who are just browsing for the day ... they enter the tournament never to return.

and so many players will lose games by timeout ... this means that the opponents never have a game ... and also lose interest.

it must have large group size ... this way each player would have many opponents - not all of whom would lose b ...[text shortened]... ontrol ... then up to 400 players could be accomodated and it would all be over in just 84 days.[/b]
    I don't think so, if you do not allow any provisional rating non-subscriber to join a tournament you ensure who enters is someone that has been around at least for a little while.

Limiting the number of tourney for non-subscribers, let's say 1 a year, you ensure every non-sub to carefully consider which tourney to enter. And at the same time you keep quite a substantial benefit for subscribers who can enter as many as they want.

Anyway, is the guys running this wonderful site who have the right and the dutty to take this kind of decisions. I'm just happy I can be a member of this, and in any case, I don't have time for tournaments right now.

Have a lot of fun!
  9. Standard memberRosePetal
    Aromatic
    God's Flower Pot
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 05:23
    Originally posted by flexmore
    the problem with nonsub tournies is not quite so simple ...

it must ...[text shortened]... ontrol ... then up to 400 players could be accomodated and it would all be over in just 84 days.
    lol.. that sounds like a subscriber tournament.. many players losing by time-outs. 🙂
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Dec '06 03:121 edit
    Originally posted by frev
    I don't think so, if you do not allow any provisional rating non-subscriber to join a tournament you ensure who enters is someone that has been around at least for a little while.

Limiting the number of tourney for non-subscribers, let's say 1 a year, you ensure every non-sub to carefully consider which tourney to enter. And at the same time you keep quite a of this, and in any case, I don't have time for tournaments right now.

Have a lot of fun!
    I have only been around since Oct.4/06, and have made more moves in that short time, + played more games, than some who have been here for a year....!!!
    P.S. I am a non subs right now.
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 16:06
    Originally posted by briancron
    I think there should be regular non-subscriber tournements.

this site is also ad supported so making the site more addictive for commercial viewers is in RHPs best interest.

The only real problem I see with it is that you can't have big rounds and if someone advances to round 2 but they also accepted a few open invites the tourney would push them ove ...[text shortened]... only have 1 active game they can't start new games because they have advanced in the tourney.
    Its simple really. They need to keep a spare slot and if they don't then the game gets timed out and they lose, but why offer tournaments to non subscribers. Subscribers have to get something and its not expensive for most countries.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jan '07 18:40
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Its simple really. They need to keep a spare slot and if they don't then the game gets timed out and they lose, but why offer tournaments to non subscribers. Subscribers have to get something and its not expensive for most countries.
    Yes a great idea, keep the non subscribers out the tournaments, that way they will not see how much fun it can be, and probably will not become a subscriber for sure !!! Great Plan !!!
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 17:02
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Yes a great idea, keep the non subscribers out the tournaments, that way they will not see how much fun it can be, and probably will not become a subscriber for sure !!! Great Plan !!!
    Would allowing you to play in a tournament as a non-subscriber make you want to subscribe?

If yes, then just subscribe in the first place.

If no, why shout about it in the first place?

At present the annual sub is under £16 which is around 30p per day or the price of a packet of sweets.

Not a lot for the extra "fun" of playing in tournaments.

🙂
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 23:151 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Would allowing you to play in a tournament as a non-subscriber make you want to subscribe?

If yes, then just subscribe in the first place.

If no, why shout about it in the first place?

At present the annual sub is under £16 which is around 30p per day or the price of a packet of sweets.

Not a lot for the extra "fun" of playing in tournaments.

🙂
    If you don't have a chance to experience the tournament in the first place, how would you know if you would enjoy it or not? I am not saying every person that entered a tournament would "Subscribe", Nor do "You" know that being in one, might be what gets them to Subscribe. I certainly know that Snotty remarks will not do it!!!
  15. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 00:312 edits
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    If you don't have a chance to experience the tournament in the first place, how would you know if you would enjoy it or not? I am not saying every person that entered a tournament would "Subscribe", Nor do "You" know that being in one, might be what gets them to Subscribe. I certainly know that Snotty remarks will not do it!!!
    Very Rusty, I'm doing one [a tournament - ]

They give you a better opportunity to play harder people and have a more competive atmosphere.

Knowing you, I would subscribe; you'd benefit for such a cheap price with unlimited games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree