27 Jan '10 13:521 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 15:00
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That's one reason I never enter a ZERO day timeout tournament. I did it once, but I didn't liked it.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 07:40
    Look at it this way. He's destroying his whole vacation entitlement for 2010 just for the sake of ONE tournament which he cannot possibly win. Stupid much?
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 10:33

5. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 13:34
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Thanks for the insult. I didn't realise that disagreeing with you (and I do) equalled an inability to use my own brain. He can use his vacation time as he wishes - and he can only use it once, after all.

Baa!
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '10 16:16

7. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 20:162 edits
    It's an interesting point. Where the timeout period is greater than zero, then players who are not on vacation can compete on a level playing field with those who are using their vacation either to be away from the board or to manage their games.

However, when the timeout period is zero, and only a timebank is used, the vacation period does indeed become a substantial advantage because part of winning a hardcore tournament is the ability to make moves very frequently.

The quicker you move in a hardcore tournament, the greater an edge you gain over your opponent. This edge doesn't exist in other other tournament formats where as long as you move within the timeout period, your opponent cannot gain an advantage over you by using vacation.

Something we need to think about.

A simple solution, as mentioned, may be to remove vacation immunity from hardcore tournaments. After all, if you enter a hardcore tournament you know how long you will need to make your moves so as long as you enter long before you intend to go on vacation it shouldn't be a problem. And if the tournament doesn't start in time, then you can always withdraw.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '10 10:53

9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 10:27
    Originally posted by Chris
    A simple solution, as mentioned, may be to remove vacation immunity from hardcore tournaments. After all, if you enter a hardcore tournament you know how long you will need to make your moves so as long as you enter long before you intend to go on vacation it shouldn't be a problem. And if the tournament doesn't start in time, then you can always withdraw.
    I can easily live with this. A very solomonian solution.

Hardcore tournaments doesn't interest me much, as my horizon of planning my future doesn't extend more than a week or two.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree