Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

1. Standard membersrpurchase
    Close to the Edge
    Austin, TX
    Moves
    18 Jul '06 18:26
    First apologies if this has been covered before....just point me to the thread if so....

I have noticed that in duel tournaments, the pairings are done a bit differently than I would expect....I think an example best illustrates my point.

Imagine a duel tournament with only 4 entrants....the way that pairings work, The top rated player (#1) would play the third rated player (#3), and #2 would play #4. What I would expect is the model more commonly seen where #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3.

The impact this has is for players in the 1400-1500 rating (usually), in a 64-person tournament, they will either be ranked #32, in which case they will get the easiest matchup in the tournament (#64), or else they will be ranked #33, and thus get the toughest matchup in the tourney (#1). Would seem to me that #1 should play #64 and #32 should play #33.....

Or is there a reason for this that I'm not aware of.

Thanks.
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    18 Jul '06 22:01
    Originally posted by srpurchase
    First apologies if this has been covered before....just point me to the thread if so....

I have noticed that in duel tournaments, the pairings are done a bit differently than I would expect....I think an example best illustrates my point.

Imagine a duel tournament with only 4 entrants....the way that pairings work, The top rated player (#1) would pl ...[text shortened]... and #32 should play #33.....

Thanks.
    It was explained somewhere, but it probably all evens out over time.
  3. Atlanta, GA, USA
    Moves
    18 Jul '06 23:31
    Those are standard swiss system pairings.

BV
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 15:59
    Originally posted by srpurchase

Imagine a duel tournament with only 4 entrants....the way that pairings work, The top rated player (#1) would pl ...[text shortened]... and #32 should play #33.....

Thanks.
    This is the case for all tournaments that do not use random pairings...
  5. Riga
    Moves
    28 Jul '06 18:09
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 18:45
    You're talking out tournaments which use 'Original' pairing instead of standard 'Random' pairings. 'Original' tournaments ensure the top players don't meet till the end.