Pairings in Duel Tournaments

Pairings in Duel Tournaments

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Close to the Edge

Austin, TX

Moves
18 Jul 06

First apologies if this has been covered before....just point me to the thread if so....

I have noticed that in duel tournaments, the pairings are done a bit differently than I would expect....I think an example best illustrates my point.

Imagine a duel tournament with only 4 entrants....the way that pairings work, The top rated player (#1) would play the third rated player (#3), and #2 would play #4. What I would expect is the model more commonly seen where #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3.

The impact this has is for players in the 1400-1500 rating (usually), in a 64-person tournament, they will either be ranked #32, in which case they will get the easiest matchup in the tournament (#64), or else they will be ranked #33, and thus get the toughest matchup in the tourney (#1). Would seem to me that #1 should play #64 and #32 should play #33.....

Or is there a reason for this that I'm not aware of.

Thanks.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
18 Jul 06

Originally posted by srpurchase
First apologies if this has been covered before....just point me to the thread if so....

I have noticed that in duel tournaments, the pairings are done a bit differently than I would expect....I think an example best illustrates my point.

Imagine a duel tournament with only 4 entrants....the way that pairings work, The top rated player (#1) would pl ...[text shortened]... and #32 should play #33.....

Thanks.
It was explained somewhere, but it probably all evens out over time.

B
Achiever

Atlanta, GA, USA

Moves
18 Jul 06

Those are standard swiss system pairings.

BV

z

Moves
20 Jul 06

Originally posted by srpurchase

Imagine a duel tournament with only 4 entrants....the way that pairings work, The top rated player (#1) would pl ...[text shortened]... and #32 should play #33.....

Thanks.
This is the case for all tournaments that do not use random pairings...

f

Riga

Moves
28 Jul 06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
05 Aug 06

You're talking out tournaments which use 'Original' pairing instead of standard 'Random' pairings. 'Original' tournaments ensure the top players don't meet till the end.