1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 16:56
    I joined a Long Haul Tournament a while ago with the thinking time of 21/21. The explanatory text of the tournament was "21 days timeout - 21 days time bank. 2 Groups. Winners play off. ** Only for those not in a hurry. **" good for me, because I wanted a slow game tournament while I waited for a round 2 in another tournament. And if the game load became too high a Long Haul would be perfect while I was waiting for the other to begin. However, my game load increased with 22 games, a heavy burden for those not used to it, but with 21/21 it is manageable.

I started to play with everyone until we got out of theory. Then I choosed some 10 games of these to play actively in meanwhile the other tournament started.

One of my opponents started to tell me that I should hasten my moves. It went like this:

Opponent: "Can your moves have more momentum. Why waiting?!"

Fabian: "Oh, sorry, I thought this was a 21/21 thinking time. I beg your pardon for my mistake. You may timeout me any time you want."

Opponent: "Yeah, 21/21. Let's play, I am not the person to time out you. It's al about the game!"

Fabian: "Thank you. We play as planned."

Opponent, a bit later:
    "Still thinking about a move. Why??"

Now I mailed him and asked him why he joined a 21/21 tournament despite the fact that he wanted to play fast. I don't have this mail saved but I surely was equally polite than before. But I don't want to have this kind of discussion during the game so I informed him that I put him on my ignore list to avoid further communication.

When I later made my next move I got the in-game message:
    "So that's was difficult! Remember F life is al about communication. When I asked a normal question, I expect a normal answer, not barking the description of this tournament. Learn to behave yourself on the chessboard! Looking at the list your are a dissonant in playing moves regurarly....."

I don't want to tell his name, it has nothing to do with it but I want to know - Do I really have to play quickly in a 21/21 tournament?
    I find his messages somewhat annoying, am I too sensitive?
  2. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 18:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I joined a Long Haul Tournament a while ago with the thinking time of 21/21. The explanatory text of the tournament was "21 days timeout - 21 days time bank. 2 Groups. Winners play off. ** Only for those not in a hurry. **"
    [snip]
    Play on day 20 and 23 hours.

I needed time to think earlier in a tournament, and did the same as you - progressing some games, in my case where I could see the move easily, but not those where I could not, sometimes being forced to make a move by approaching timebank. Now one of my opponents is playing fairly consistantly just before the timebank runs out. I have absolutely no issue with this, as he is playing by the rules.

I think the ability to mask in game messages too would be a *good thing* (tm).

Gezza
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 18:16
    I joined a Long Haul Tournament a while ago with the thinking time of 21/21. The explanatory text of the tournament was "21 days timeout - 21 days time bank. 2 Groups. Winners play off. ** Only for those not in a hurry. **" good for me, because I wanted a slow game tournament while I waited for a round 2 in another tournament. And if the game load became ...[text shortened]... /21 tournament?
    move on that game every 21 days, he sounds like a tw*t, i've never had that problem (even when i'm moving really slow) but know of a lot of people getting messages like that, just ignore him/her but if it gets any worst send feedback about it. good luck, hope you win the game, remember to take your time about it to 🙂
  4. Standard memberwhirlpool
    absolute beginner
    inside
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 18:54
    I don't want to tell his name, it has nothing to do with it but I want to know - Do I really have to play quickly in a 21/21 tournament?
    Somehow I can't imagine someone telling me to hurry up and move. I think I would not like that, even a little bit.

I have my 21/21 in a seperate folder (including our game) and only move when I have all my other games caught up.

I think you have to just ignore it and not answer and try not to let it distract you.

I suspect that may be his game - you are the better player so he is trying to distract you into a blunder. Don't do it. Win both games and put it in the past.
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 21:31
    I can imagin people requesting you to make the moves in less time.
    The benefit for the opponent - and probably both - will be the memory of the game, the position and all risks and opportunities involved. It is easier to prevent blunders when the game goes fast, and you can remember every aspect of the game with just a glance on the board. Will be hard to do after a week and with, say, 40 other games going which all have requested a move too.

But then again, one might ask politely, not demand it...
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 22:05
    Originally posted by Aiko
    I can imagin people requesting you to make the moves in less time.
    The benefit for the opponent - and probably both - will be the memory of the game, the position and all risks and opportunities involved. It is easier to prevent blunders when the game goes fast, and you can remember every aspect of the game with just a glance on the board. Will be hard to do ...[text shortened]... which all have requested a move too.

But then again, one might ask politely, not demand it...
    if he didn't want someone to take their time over a move he shouldn't have entered a 21/21 tournament, its as simple as that there's nothing anyone can say that makes asking someone to move faster correct. plus there's always the notebook if he can't remember the game.
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 23:40
    I joined a Long Haul Tournament a while ago with the thinking time of 21/21. The explanatory text of the tournament was "21 days timeout - 21 days time bank. 2 Groups. Winners play off. ** Only for those not in a hurry. **" good for me, because I wanted a slow game tournament while I waited for a round 2 in another tournament. And if the game load became ...[text shortened]... /21 tournament?
    Go to My Settings

Turn off email reminders by removing the tick.

End of problem.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 02:05
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Go to [b]My Settings

Turn off email reminders by removing the tick.

End of problem.[/b]
    😕 are you high?
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 13:14
    Originally posted by trevor33
    😕 are you high?
    🙁

No, just had a mental dwam.

Meant to say go to My Home, My ignore list. Stops silly emails from people.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 14:03
    Originally posted by adramforall
    🙁

No, just had a mental dwam.

Meant to say go to My Home, My ignore list. Stops silly emails from people.
    Your'e right, and that was exactly what I did.
    But nevertheless, messeges can be written throu in-game messeges as well.
    The ignore feature doesn't include in-game messes.
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 13:31
    He (or she for that matter) is in the wrong. Take as long as you like. I would if I was in it. I tend to play fast but I would take all the time I had if I wanted.
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:01
    Originally posted by Will Everitt
    He (or she for that matter) is in the wrong. Take as long as you like. I would if I was in it. I tend to play fast but I would take all the time I had if I wanted.
    I came back from holiday so wanted a few quick games to get the mind focused so just issued 4 open invites with 1/28 (why 28, just to be fair on vacations of course) and a game description "Quickplay, for fun". 3 games were quick as intended and lasted a few days but the 4th is already 14 days into his 28 day timebank and he makes no more than 1 move a day.

Its within the rules and I won't hassle him although I did remind him it was intended to be "Quickplay" (perhaps he can't read English) and its obvious prompt movers were wanted.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 17:06
    Thread 56386

D
  14. Standard memberdweezil
    Canuck savant
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 18:021 edit
    Look at these messages I started to get from this guy about a week into our game. It was a 7/14 random challenge he initiated. I had never played him before. I made 5 or 6 moves over the course of a couple days, then stayed away from the game for a few days, while I caught up on my clan games. he was playing over 250 games at the time. As soon as I stopped playing, I started getting pms from the guy.

Subject :move
    Posted :28 Dec '05

Message body : do it

Subject :waiting for u to move
    Posted :28 Dec '05

Message body : When?

Subject : Play or resign
    Posted :07 Jan '06

Message body :You've made 75 moves since visiting our games.I would understand if you work over 40 hours a week though this is not the case.

you mada 75 moves. you dont work full time which is why my games are generous in time.

I haven't got a clue why he thought I didn't work full time. I have no idea why you people would want to block messages like these, they are pure gold! After the first message from him, I politely explained I was moving well within the time limits we had agreed to. When I started getting more nasty/incoherent pms, I simply informed him that I would be moving only once a week from that point until the end of the game. I also told him I didn't expect the game to end for another year or so, but he was welcome to resign at any point.

So every week I would make my move, and thoughtfully provide him with the date and time of my next move, approx 1 week later. Very considerate on my part, really.

I say, don't let a golden oportunity to have some fun slip away. Some of his in-game messages were priceless!
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 13:46
    Thank you all, dear friends, for the support. Now I know that 21/21-tournament really is a 21/21-tournament and not a torment. Of course, even if I may think for 21 days straight, I wont do that for fun nor any other reason. I simply choose those games to move of reasons I don't have to declare to my opponents.

I will not name the opponent who made me ask for your opinion. But if he shows up here and still trying in a rudely fashion to force me to play quicker - I will reveal his name.

However - now I want to make some declarations:

(1) I will not ever move faster than I want to, in any case, of whatever reason. If my opponent rudely trying to make me do so I'll exercise my right to use all available thinking time to do so (or not).
    (2) I will not ever resign or agree to a draw, in any case, of whatever reason. If my opponent rudely trying to make me do so I'll exercise my right to drag the game to the mate or use the 50-rule draw (or not).
    (3) If any opponent, rudely or not, try to convince me that I am wrong in the points (1) and (2) above I will put him on my ignore list and end all conversation with him after my last message to him my intentions of doing so (or not).
    (4) If the opponent still acting rudely I will exercise my right to file a complaint and use the rule TOS 3c to do so (or not).
    (5) I hereby take the rights to do as the points (1), (2), (3) and (4) above says but I also take the rights not to do so as I please of reasons I do not declare..

Of course I let any of my opponents to use these points above against me too, but they will not have any reasons to do this. My opponents can always think as long as they want, until the skull shows, or play any game to the mate or use the 50-move rule if they still have mating material.

Does this seems fair?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree