Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 10 Aug '15 14:54
    I am new to tournaments and am confused by some of the opening boards. Typically, the tournament game looks like the beginning of any chess game...no pieces moved on either side. But a few times, I have had a new tournament game appear in my Inbox in which pieces have already been moved...not by me....I guess automated?

    Can anyone explain this?
  2. 10 Aug '15 16:32
    Set-piece games are those that start from a position other than the standard set-up.

    Set-piece games can be created and sent to you by individual players. There are also set-piece tourneys; that would have been in the description when you signed up for the tourney.
  3. 10 Aug '15 17:50
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Set-piece games are those that start from a position other than the standard set-up.

    Set-piece games can be created and sent to you by individual players. There are also set-piece tourneys; that would have been in the description when you signed up for the tourney.
    Thank you for your answer
    Can you tell me ...what is the purpose of them?
    Why not just have a regular starting chess game?
  4. 10 Aug '15 18:03
    In tournaments it may be to explore a specific opening. I am currently playing in a Scandinavian tourney where each game starts with a White pawn on e4 and a Black pawn on d5. I am getting a lot of experience from both sides of the board for that opening.

    There could also be Fisher-type games where the Knights and Bishops are reversed in position or other differences. One idea behind that type is to take you away from memorized lines.

    .
  5. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    10 Aug '15 18:44
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    I am new to tournaments and am confused by some of the opening boards. Typically, the tournament game looks like the beginning of any chess game...no pieces moved on either side. But a few times, I have had a new tournament game appear in my Inbox in which pieces have already been moved...not by me....I guess automated?

    Can anyone explain this?
    I think you are talking about Thematic tournaments.
    These are tournaments set up to mimic a certain opening sequence i.e the French defence advance variation.
    These tournaments will always have the letter "T" in a square displayed alongside.
  6. 10 Aug '15 18:52
    Originally posted by venda
    I think you are talking about Thematic tournaments.
    These are tournaments set up to mimic a certain opening sequence i.e the French defence advance variation.
    These tournaments will always have the letter "T" in a square displayed alongside.
    Thank you!
    I obviously do not know enough about the game or I would have known this1
  7. 10 Aug '15 18:53
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    In tournaments it may be to explore a specific opening. I am currently playing in a Scandinavian tourney where each game starts with a White pawn on e4 and a Black pawn on d5. I am getting a lot of experience from both sides of the board for that opening.

    There could also be Fisher-type games where the Knights and Bishops are reversed in position or other differences. One idea behind that type is to take you away from memorized lines.

    .
    Hmmmmm - did not know any of this! Just a novice

    Thank you for taking the time to answer!
  8. 10 Aug '15 22:06
    Being unclear on what a thematic tourney is didn't stop you from winning two of them!

    Tournament 18676
    Tournament 18322
  9. 13 Aug '15 19:06
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Being unclear on what a thematic tourney is didn't stop you from winning two of them!

    Tournament 18676
    Tournament 18322
    I thought they were perhaps glitches in the system. Lol lol
    Thanks