1. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 09:58
    I am playing in a group of four in a tournament and have noticed that one player has resigned both games against an opponent after the first move. I can't help wondering why anyone would do that, especially since the players other four games are still being played.
    Any suggestions?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 10:04
    Originally posted by muppyman
    I am playing in a group of four in a tournament and have noticed that one player has resigned both games against an opponent after the first move. I can't help wondering why anyone would do that, especially since the players other four games are still being played.
    Any suggestions?
    Perhaps he thinks that his opponent will crush him anyway and doesn't want to invest energy to the already lost games. Just a guess...
  3. Italy
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 13:12
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Perhaps he thinks that his opponent will crush him anyway and doesn't want to invest energy to the already lost games. Just a guess...
    I think this isn't an honest dealing.

May be, he is ill...
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 16:02
    I personally have no problems when someone resigns all their games in a tournament, but when they only resign against high(er) rated players, it really pisses me off. It basically says, I'm a schmuck who is happy to try and ruin you're chance to win, but I'm too much of a pansy to try and ruin the group favorites time.

In fact, in one tournament I had an opponent resign all but one game (one against me) after 5 moves. He decided he had too many games going, but ours was an interesting opening (Smith-Morra Gambit) so I'm stuck working for those 3 points everyone else got for free (looks like I'll get 1).
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 19:08
    Originally posted by zebano
    I personally have no problems when someone resigns all their games in a tournament, but when they only resign against high(er) rated players, it really pisses me off. It basically says, I'm a schmuck who is happy to try and ruin you're chance to win, but I'm too much of a pansy to try and ruin the group favorites time.

In fact, in one tournament I had a ...[text shortened]... so I'm stuck working for those 3 points everyone else got for free (looks like I'll get 1).
    im totally with you on that, recd
  6. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 21:20
    Thanks for your input. I guess his reasons for doing this are good enough reasons for him, and I will not be asking him for an explanation, its entirely his business at the end of the day. I am new to this site, but I have played in many tournaments on other sites and OTB through the years, but I have never seen anything like this, so it gave me cause to wonder.
  7. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    28 Jan '08 22:04
    I'm a crappy player. If I'm in a banded tournament for players ranked below 1100 and I see that my opponent had a 1700 rating before timing out or resigning a bunch of games I'll resign rather than play.

Seriously, if there's a good reason your rank slid so far than play in open tournaments to get back up. Sandbagging sucks.

For now, if I see a sandbagger entered in a banded tournament I won't join. Otherwise, if I find myself in that situation again I'll resign immediately. It just bothers me, and it can't be very satisfying for the other player.
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 05:43
    If a huge cash prize were riding on the tournament and a prestigious title, there would be very strong reactions and analyses and accusations of cheating when players resign on move 1. In a tournament set up for fun, you just have to accept that sometimes some people ruin some of the fun. We don't have a way to find out what happened, what the reasons were, and couldn't confirm them if any were offered. I think you just have to move on.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 17:00
    Any suggestions?
    Tournament 3236

some people like to have a reference
  10. Johannesburg
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 23:22
    Any suggestions?
    I'd been wondering that myself (but I'm not complaining). 😀
    He actually resigned all 6 of his games against me?!

His profile User 277250 says that he's been cutting back on his games now that he's got his rotating star.
  11. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 02:47
    Originally posted by craigy
    I'd been wondering that myself (but I'm not complaining). 😀
    He actually resigned all 6 of his games against me?!

His profile User 277250 says that he's been cutting back on his games now that he's got his rotating star.
    The again this tourney only started mid January so if cutting back on games he shouldn't have joined.
  12. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 15:122 edits
    self-censored off-topic post.
  13. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 23:39
    Any suggestions?
    because they want to decrease their game load.
  14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 14:04
    Originally posted by Ramned
    because they want to decrease their game load.
    Hey you! Less posting, more moving!!! 😉
  15. Joined
    24 Oct '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 13:40
    Someone died! Maybe something urgent took place that requires total removal from the games, such as divorce, death in the family, threat of divorce, job loss, career setbacks, priority of time toward family or projects, military obligations, Al Queda hostage situition, a heart operation with debilitating nosomial infections prolonging stay in hospital, and a host of other imaginary problems...maybe he went crazy and was committed to a psychiatric ward, was suicidal and took too many prescription drugs or sleeping pills. Good grief! I don't know!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree