1. Standard memberhowitzer
    rockling
    The crags
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 08:18
    Hey

[rant]

Been playing here for a while, and enjoy playing a lot of tournament games. I'm not such a great player and my favourite tournys are the banded ones since I make some progress ... Anyway the point is that I keep an eye on up-coming tournaments.

What's annoying me is the Long Haul tournaments. Take a look at the one that's open at the moment "Long Haul Split XXIX" - it distinctly says ** Only for those not in a hurry. ** inside the box. Have a look at the players though ... how many of them are regular players involved in a lot of games and a lot of moves. More to the point, how many of them move several times a day? Think of how many people really are looking for a long haul tournament to play since they are excluded from the faster ones by practicalities? How many of the entrants to these tournaments are just players who will join any and every tournament they can and do this by checking the board every day?? It's fairly inconsiderate behaviour ...

What we need is a way to restrict the entrance to these tournaments to those with their "Move Frequency" in their profiles set to one of the slow ones, or at least a gentlemen's agreement not to enter if you move "Multiple Times A Day"

What say you??
    [/rant]
    😞
  2. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 09:24
    I don`t see the problem... those players can move at any pace they want.... you move at your pace they at thiers. They seem to be on the losing end as they move quickly while everyone moves slower... but thats expected cause of the name of the tournie...

anyway my 2c
  3. Standard memberhowitzer
    rockling
    The crags
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 09:42
    Sure once the games get going each player uses the time allocations as they will, but the point is that the slow players are excluded from the limited number of seats in the slow tournaments when the fast players ignore the tournament requirements.
  4. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 10:06
    can see what you`re saying...

there not really a way to restrict that unfortunatly.... nothing stops someone changing thier profile from fast to slow enterin the tournament and then changing back...

but a good point nonetheless
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 10:35
    why not let them in - and just make them bbIIGGGEEERRRRR!!!!!
  6. Behind you...
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 11:24
    I don't think the "Only for those not in a hurry" line is supposed to be taken as literally as you're taking it... Quite honestly this IS a correspondence chess site, so anyone who plays here is usually not in that big of a hurry to get a game done anyhow...
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 14:16
    Originally posted by howitzer
    Sure once the games get going each player uses the time allocations as they will, but the point is that the slow players are excluded from the limited number of seats in the slow tournaments when the fast players ignore the tournament requirements.
    (Just a thought)

Maybe if the slow players were a bit faster then they may have seen the long haul "slow" tounaments starting and been able to enter which would stop all the faster players from entering!

(Idea)

Maybe you could ask Russ to start a few tournaments where you are restricted to only move one per day/week/fortnight/month.

He has said that if there is a desire for certain tourney types he would be more than willing to accomodate.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 16:54
    Yikes! I never thought I'd see a request for people to move SLOWER on this sight.
  9. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 19:16
    I suppose that if there were a pair of tournaments, one with 3/7 time limits and another with 21/21, and you were only allowed to enter one of the two, that would draw the fast movers (who will also be checking the tournaments list more often) away from the longer format.

Or maybe there could be some way to give people priority entry into certain formats, but only a single type that they specify, so again, the faster players may choose shorter time restrictions.

- Mike
  10. Berks.
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 20:29
    There could just be a few more of the long haul tournaments.

Or even with larger entry sizes. Often quite small, yet still need a final round to complete. Instead of two groups of 12, have half a dozen/eight.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 08:47
    I can certainly create more.

I perceived these tournaments to be the least popular, and I assumed I was catering to a minority of people who like the lengthy time controls.

-Russ
  12. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 12:36
    well.. I wish I never joined one.. I'm still waiting for these games to finish that started Dec 7th.. but.. we hit move 21 now .. should be done by Dec 2006 I'd say..
  13. Joined
    21 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 20:57
    Originally posted by Russ
    I can certainly create more.

I perceived these tournaments to be the least popular, and I assumed I was catering to a minority of people who like the lengthy time controls.

-Russ
    Russ - I have been trying to get into more long haul tournaments for months now as I at times am away for 2 weeks at a time with no internet connectivity. Trouble is they are gone in a flash, subscribed for in a flash - largely by the every tournament brigade. I check nearly everyday but they are always full by the time I see them
  14. Standard memberhowitzer
    rockling
    The crags
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 09:11
    Originally posted by APB
    Russ - I have been trying to get into more long haul tournaments for months now as I at times am away for 2 weeks at a time with no internet connectivity. Trouble is they are gone in a flash, subscribed for in a flash - largely by the every tournament brigade. I check nearly everyday but they are always full by the time I see them
    Again it seems like
    1 a lot of people enter every tournament they can
    2 this excludes the likes of APB who can only really play these long haul contests (and he subscribes)
    3 some of the faster people who enter the slow tournys get frustrated

Looks like a solution liesalong the lines of some sort of restriction on move frequency. Even if it is by the profile's Move Frequency - leaving it open to abuse - I think it would help folk like APB.
  15. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 09:27
    Originally posted by Peakite
    There could just be a few more of the long haul tournaments.

Or even with larger entry sizes. Often quite small, yet still need a final round to complete. Instead of two groups of 12, have half a dozen/eight

Originally posted by howitzer
    Again it seems like
    1 a lot of people enter every tournament they can
    2 this excludes the likes ...[text shortened]... the profile's Move Frequency - leaving it open to abuse - I think it would help folk like APB.
    Yeah! good ideas!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree