1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    18 May '07 12:21
    A certain individual in Tournament 2061 has decided to go on holiday but manages to move everyday.

I am 110% certain that the only reason for the holiday is to avoid timeouts.

Bluddy stoopid vacation idea. 😠
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 May '07 12:27
    Originally posted by adramforall
    A certain individual in Tournament 2061 has decided to go on holiday but manages to move everyday.

I am 110% certain that the only reason for the holiday is to avoid timeouts.

Bluddy stoopid vacation idea. 😠
    Doesn't sound ridiculous. I've used the vacation feature when I was going to be away and didn't know how often I'd get online.

And if they are moving every day they're getting absolutely no advantage from being marked as on vacation (and are in fact using up their quota of vacation days for no reason), so what is there to complain about?
  3. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    18 May '07 12:59
    I'm with adram on this. If the person wants to go on vacation, fine. But don't move and then hope that others will time out. If you're on vacation, stay on vacation. If you're going to make a move, then the vacation tag should come off.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    18 May '07 15:26
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Doesn't sound ridiculous. I've used the vacation feature when I was going to be away and didn't know how often I'd get online.

And if they are moving every day they're getting absolutely no advantage from being marked as on vacation (and are in fact using up their quota of vacation days for no reason), so what is there to complain about?
    By using vacation days they are ensuring that if they can get back online with 24 hours of their opponent moving then the timeout facility is unavailable.

Why join a 1/0 tournament if you are going on holiday?

If they are moving every day, then the only reason the vacation facility is being use is to prevent a potential timeout, which IMO is an abuse of the facility.
  5. Joined
    26 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 May '07 16:15

Ordinarily I would agree with you - I often move at net cafes while travelling, but cannot guarantee where the next one will be, so have to put up the vacation flag.

However given that this is a 1/0 and that it has just started there is clearly abuse of the system here. Maybe the site admins can create a flag on short time-control tournaments that will prevent entry from users due to go on holiday.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 May '07 17:18
    I'm not really a fan of this new vacancy system.
    My proposal is a vacation system based on sealed moves. As in OTB-games.
  7. Brasilia, Brazil
    Moves
    18 May '07 20:03
    Tournament games don't respect vacation settings. It says so when you join it. That's why the guy on vacation kept moving.
  8. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    18 May '07 20:56
    but you still cannot time someone out in a tournament if they are on vacation
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 May '07 10:58
    I repeat - if they're moving, what's the problem?
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 May '07 11:00
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    I'm with adram on this. If the person wants to go on vacation, fine. But don't move and then hope that others will time out. If you're on vacation, stay on vacation. If you're going to make a move, then the vacation tag should come off.
    So you're saying that having the flag up and not moving is better than having the flag up and moving? You'd rather them not move?

Sorry, these complaints don't make any sense to me.
  11. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    19 May '07 11:301 edit
    Let me try to reiterate. The problem is that this is a 1/0 tournament. The player has already avoided losing by timeout once because the vacation flag was up. Why should I be subject to the possibility of losing by a timeout when this player moves if he/she is not subject to the same possibility after I move? Does that make more sense?
  12. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    19 May '07 14:26
    i have to agree with this being a problem , though I'm not in a 1/0 tournament.

With vacation on, that player can make a move every 2 days without risk of timeout, but the opponent has to still make one every day, else be timed out.

Sure, they have a limited number of vacation days in the year, but that doesn't help the opponents in this tournament.
  13. Joined
    26 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 May '07 18:08
    Entrants to a 1/0 tournament might have also had an expectation that the tournament would have to move quickly, and that their opponent would face the same challenge. I am also not in this tournament, but can see why other competitors might be annoyed.
  14. California
    Moves
    23 May '07 16:54
    I think you were talking about me since you posted on the 18th at the time I was on vacation and was also on the 1/0 tournament you mentioned.

I didn't appreciate your accusation of a vacation abuse and so here's my response.

I have scheduled my year's vacation prior to March 15th when the announcement was made and that's two months ahead of this tournament.
    I was actually on a IT work project and on travel that week and so I didn't have a full grasp of my schedule.

But in all fairness to my opponents, I've made every effort to make moves within the 24 hour alloted time and not once did I exceeded this allotment. So I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

I see the vacation flag as a courtesy to advise your opponents that you may not be able to make moves in a timely manner. Since some people ignore the flag (perhaps someone like yourself) and take timeouts anyway, the site admins decided to protect vacations from timeout. This rule may actually help you out someday.

If you have an issue with this send your complains to the site admins. They are the ones who set up the rules not me.

I don't care if you set your vacation flag for the entire year. I'd still beat you. Just play the game and have fun. Stop whining.
  15. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    24 May '07 12:33
    Originally posted by blackjack21
    I think you were talking about me since you posted on the 18th at the time I was on vacation and was also on the 1/0 tournament you mentioned.

I didn't appreciate your accusation of a vacation abuse and so here's my response.

I have scheduled my year's vacation prior to March 15th when the announcement was made and that's two months ahead of this t ...[text shortened]... or the entire year. I'd still beat you. Just play the game and have fun. Stop whining.
    I never mentioned any names. You may have noticed that some other posters, however agree with me.

Vacation abuse to me is the setting a vacation flag but continuing to move. The flag being there to prevent timeouts and nothing more.

Whilst you moved everyday within the alloted time, the vacation flag would have saved you from being timed out had you been unable to move within the alloted time.

I always ignored the flag previously as its use was abused so much. Now I don't have that option 🙁

Hypothetically speaking what happens in this scenario.

You are getting toward the end of tournament (3/0) and have only two games outstanding against the same person. This person goes on holiday and shows they will be away for 14 days returning on the 22nd of the month. They last moved on the 6th of the month.

You feel like taking a long weekend, and book a short notice long break from Friday to Monday, after all its a bank holiday, so you move on Thursday the 11th and with all you games having plenty of time available and your holiday opponent away till the 22nd you go off on your long weekend and do not access the Internet nor show yourself as on holiday as it is not necessary since you appear to have all bases covered.

Unknown to you however, your holiday opponent has managed to gain access to the net and moves on the evening of the 11th. They then play daily and on Sunday the 14th a little skull appears against both the games which they duly click on.

You return from your long break to find yourself with two losses. IS THAT FAIR? IS IT YOU FAULT? IS IT HOLIDAY ABUSE?

You probably will win both our games, you are the better player. It has been good playing you. My gripe is about the vacation system, not you as a player.

Cheers
    🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree