1. Leicester, UK
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 18:59
    How about running tournaments that non-subscribers can also enter on a less regular basis? Hopefully the thrill of being in a tournament may cause some to sign up.
    (And to really heighten the stakes, the winner can claim 1 months free membership!?)
  2. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 04:44
    great idea, if I won a tourney and saw the advantages of membership I might continue to subscribe!
  3. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 01:15
    Originally posted by ambience
    How about running tournaments that non-subscribers can also enter on a less regular basis? Hopefully the thrill of being in a tournament may cause some to sign up.
    (And to really heighten the stakes, the winner can claim 1 months free membership!?)
    I REALLY wanted to play tournaments and get involved in clans etc so I paid my £17.06 and didnt look for one freebie.

I think if you want free privilages you may want to try:-

www.freechesstournamentsfornonsubs.com

hope this helps mate😀
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 10:26
    Russ tried this before, but the winner had created about 10 accounts to win the tournament. Prizes promote nefarious activities.

There are still some non-sub tournaments every so often.

D
  5. Cyberspace
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 12:22
    Every so often!!?
    The last one if i remember correctly was on Dec 2004.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 16:39
    Originally posted by JPCartier
    saw the advantages of membership
    http://www.chessatwork.com/vstat/subs.php
  7. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 18:57
    Uh, wow ...

How about just paying a subscription and then you can enter all the tournaments you want ...

How does this sound ???
  8. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 20:58
    Im firmly against tourneys for non-subs.

This is an excellent site and the subscription fee is very reasonable.
  9. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 23:22
    True, but an occasionally test drive isn't all that unreasonable.
  10. Joined
    18 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 03:44
    i love this site more than life. I have like 30 games going right now. And 30 bucks a year is a crazy deal.
  11. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 12:54
    Originally posted by MikeBruce
    i love this site more than life. I have like 30 games going right now. And 30 bucks a year is a crazy deal.
    I fully agree with you, but I guess that some people must be in dire financial trouble or maybe in some parts of the world 30$ is a whole lot more to them locally, or maybe they just don't think chess is such a big deal and just want a bit of fun
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 19:41
    The people from RHP found a very good way to manage the site. The non-subscribers are sustaining the site by watching the adverts and, from time to time, clicking on them to tell the sponsors that is worth giving some money to this fantastic site. I would assume the site is getting some good money this way.

To set up some tournaments open also to non-subscribers may convince some people to register in the site. More registrations means more reasons for the sponsors to keep giving money or even give more money.
  13. Berks.
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 17:02
    How many non-subs actually see the ads though?

Besides the problems mentioned with potential cheating (multiple accounts) how many places would be needed to satisfy players? Given the amount of non-subs around, it'd be quite a lot.
  14. salt lake city
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 18:31
    I assume its an ok idea...id prolly sign up for it...
    it really depends...
  15. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    21 Mar '06 11:33
    A way to prevent multiple account users would be to only let users who have been on this site for more than 6 months or so. In my case, 30 bucks is alot more than I can spare to play chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree