1. Joined
    21 May '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '07 23:101 edit
    Apologies if there's a thread on this already: I had a quick scan, but saw nothing immediately relevant.

Anyway, I've got a couple of struggling opponents who have lifted vacation flags in their last couple of remaining days in a hardcore (0/21) tournament. Now it might well be that the vacation's genuine, and I'm in position to win the games anyway so I'm not too fussed, but it did make me think that this could be a loophole that could be expoited by less honest players, ie run down the opponent's time while you stay immune through having a vacation flag raised.

Is there contingency in the hardcore tournaments to ignore all vacation flags? And if not, should there be?
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 00:21
    Originally posted by MP
    Apologies if there's a thread on this already: I had a quick scan, but saw nothing immediately relevant.

Anyway, I've got a couple of struggling opponents who have lifted vacation flags in their last couple of remaining days in a hardcore (0/21) tournament. Now it might well be that the vacation's genuine, and I'm in position to win the games anyway so I'm not ...[text shortened]... ncy in the hardcore tournaments to ignore all vacation flags? And if not, should there be?
    If they're using it in a malicious way, then I'm guessing they could be banned for it. It doesn't really help them that much if you move regularly, though, since they're time still runs with the flag on. So unless they're willing to part with almost all of they're years worth of vacation time, it probably wouldn't work to well.
  3. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 00:37
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    If they're using it in a malicious way, then I'm guessing they could be banned for it. It doesn't really help them that much if you move regularly, though, since they're time still runs with the flag on. So unless they're willing to part with almost all of they're years worth of vacation time, it probably wouldn't work to well.
    I dont' think they can be banned for it, after all, they only have 36 days of vacation a year. They'd use all of their vacation days for at most 40 games, which would be a waste.

I doubt they'd do that.
  4. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 04:13
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    I dont' think they can be banned for it, after all, they only have 36 days of vacation a year. They'd use all of their vacation days for at most 40 games, which would be a waste.

I doubt they'd do that.
    Yeah, that's basically what I was saying, that being that there's really no point and in all likelihood wouldn't work that well.
  5. Joined
    21 May '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 04:44
    Well, with just 45-odd days left this year there's little incentive not to start using your allocation for this year if you haven't already. I'm not saying the system is being abused in this case, but it's a definite way to buy more time in hardcore tournaments. I've got one opponent out of time already who's got the vacation flag up.
  6. Joined
    13 Nov '04
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 22:24
    I am in the same hardcore tournament, and have over 18 days left while they have 8 hours, seems like a loop hole being exploited. A member should only be allowed so many moves during vacation setting. Otherwise why have the timer? I guess I can retaliate with my Vacation setting? 😉
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 16:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 17:46
    I think this thread should be closed so any skanks who have not yet thought of this idea already wont be able to find it.
  9. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 00:511 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 20:01
    Some says that it is not possible to abuse the vacation system. But now and then there are threads showing that the vacation system actually can be abused.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 20:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It's not abusing the vacation flag, it's using the vacation flag.

However, another criteria should really be added to games/tournaments and that's "Vacation Allowed - Yes/No".

That way, people who see vacation use as abuse can't really complain anymore because they have signed up for a tournament which allows vacations.

D
  12. Standard memberBedingbedang
    commente moi donc ça
    Montreal
    Moves
    27 Nov '07 02:05
    It would be improper I find to use the vacation flag to prevent being timed out and then time-out your opponent (and that's easy to do in hardcore tournaments). If you are using it to prevent time-out only, then it IS part of the game as it is played on RHP and we have to accept that.

What bothers me however is that with so many different tournaments available, if you know you won't be able to play fast in the next 40 days or so, why does someone enter a hardcore tourney in the first place? Same with 1-0 tournaments, people shouldn't enter if they know already they won't play at that rythm. If they didn't know but something came up (or round 2 starts at a very distant date) then I feel it's fine to use the vacation as it's there on the site for that and it's there for everybody.
  13. Standard memberdfazman
    Slacker
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 10:27
    I have the same thing happening to me in a hardcore tournament. My opponent has used up his timebank (all 21 days!) and has his flag up. He sits and makes moves daily, however. Just bull, if you ask me. I realize I'm really behind in one of the games, but isn't a hardcore tourney supposed to emulate a speed match with a clock? I mean, his flag is down, game over!

I also thought there was some boilerplate about vacations not being honored in tournament play, but I'm not finding that anywhere. Maybe that was a while ago and it's changed. Either way, I think this is garbage, but I can't do anything about it apparently, so I sit and wait for him to be back from his "vacation" where he moves twice a day. Weak.
  14. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 00:59
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

However, another criteria should really be added to games/tournaments and that's "Vacation Allowed - Yes/No".

That way, people who see vacation use as abuse can't really complain anymore because they have signed up for a tournament which allows vacations.

D
    I think thats a great idea - the option to sign up for tournaments where vacation can not be used as a way to get around the timebanks.. I find that the vacation flag is often on when someones timebank is low or depleted.. sometimes they even are playing in other games. I would never sign up for a vacation option = yes tournament again.
  15. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 03:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    However it does not solve the problem of tournaments with criteria "Vacations not allowed" that may last 18 months + and have players who have genuine holidays to take in the 2nd or later year.

Should people then be punished for taking a holiday 19 months after they started the tournament, even though they have their vacation flag set ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree