Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

1. Subscriber RDM
    10 Jun '08 05:34
    In the calculation of ratings for banded tournament entrants.

Tournament 3659

Spot the anomoly.
  2. 10 Jun '08 07:45
    Originally posted by RDM

Tournament 3659

Spot the anomoly.
    Bizarrely, his profile says:
    "hy folks! i do enjoy some healthy competition!"

Maybe players in this tournament can politely suggest that he withdraw at the start of the next round? That doesn't really fix the wider problem though...
  3. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    10 Jun '08 08:07
    Originally posted by RDM

Tournament 3659

Spot the anomoly.
    There is no anomaly: a very strong player wins against his weaker opponents.

He knew beforehand that he was a much stronger player.

He might point to the fact that the system did not prevent him from entering the tournamnet.

He might even claim that he is entitled to that tournament since he wasn't allowed to play in his own band.

We had the discussion.

We had suggestions:

* Tournament moderators
    * rating floors
    * diverse calculation methods.

This problem won't be fixed in the near future I think. I also don't know why.

And RDM: My sympathy goes with you (if that's anything worth)
  4. Subscriber RDM
    10 Jun '08 08:28
    Please note that I am not having a go at the person in question. Sorry it appears the my first post was a bit abrupt. It seems to me that he isn't a sandbagger but is someone that went off line for a few months and is now working his way back up to his level.

I am merely pointing out that, as his highest ever rating was a consistent 1800+, he shouldn't have been able to join the tournament in the first place.

I'm sure we all learned something from the games we played against him.

Hopefully this post will further encourage the site admins to revisit the tournament entry rating.
  5. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    10 Jun '08 08:43
    Originally posted by RDM
    Please note that I am not having a go at the person in question. Sorry it appears the my first post was a bit abrupt. It seems to me that he isn't a sandbagger but is someone that went off line for a few months and is now working his way back up to his level.

I am merely pointing out that, as his highest ever rating was a consistent 1800+, he shouldn't have ...[text shortened]... ully this post will further encourage the site admins to revisit the tournament entry rating.
    I hope I didn't offend you. That was not my aim. I was in fact trying to support the spirit of your posting, but trying to cut short the often repeated discussion and a somewhat dim outlook.

And I am currently enjoying a rating surge, and hope I don't look like a sandbagger later on...
  6. Subscriber RDM
    10 Jun '08 09:57
    No - no offense taken at all 🙂

I bounce between 1200 and 1450 so my ratings look weird as well. Sometimes its just obvious that certain players don't really belong in certain tournaments.
  7. 10 Jun '08 17:02
    Darn Germans.
  8. 11 Jun '08 08:08 / 3 edits
    We know our ratings can easily fluctuate 100 pts up or down at RHP but I think we all come to know over time our approximate rating strength.

I reached high of 1780 (1st 60 games, think I artificially 'peaked' with a combination of low game load, quality of opponent and finishing some winning games before collecting a few consequitive losses - maybe we all like to see how high a number we can get?).

I consider myself (as my profile shows I believe) around 1550-1650 as I have not reached higher than around 1650, playing regularly for the subsequent 9 months, and regularly lose against players rated 1500-1600.

One reason I highlight this is because I started a thread (and named a player which I may do again) I was quickly accused of being a 'rancid sandbagger myself' - when I play in 1500-1700 Tournaments.

If we all do soon realise what our own general playing strength is by the results we gain over a variety of opponents over time then a player who stays in a Tournament where they are obviously over-rated (200 pts? above the rating entry level, certainly 300pts above the rating entry level) they should withdraw.

I think they know they are naturally over-rated / skilled for that band.
    It's a hollow victory if they stay in the Tournament and win!

I am currently playing a 1600-1625 banded and there is a player rated 1945. It doesn't look like it is a rating surge so he should withdraw.
  9. Subscriber RDM
    11 Jun '08 10:15
    Quaff - its pretty obvious that you aren't a sandbagger and I agree that ratings fluctuate by about 100 - 150 points.

I myself fluctuate between 1250 and 1450 but its mainly because I play my winning games before I play my losing games. I am currently on a serious downward spiral but, believe me, its not for lack of trying.

I honestly don't think this player even realises what's happening in that tournament and I don't believe any malicious intent. But, I think a banded tournament below 1400 is going to look pretty silly on his profile page 🙂
  10. Standard member Surtism
    Prof.
    11 Jun '08 12:11
    I'm afraid its time for my two pennies worth on this one. I have been on here for about a year and my rating too fluctuates somewhat (within 150 points or so normally) and I also had my all time high of 1,491 after just starting on the site, which was artificially high as I held back losses to see how high I could go. I wasn't aware of the impact that this would have on my rating graph as I was new.

I am now aware of how my rating graph reacts and have taken losses in games to get into an additional mini-banded tourni, but never below 1300 for a considerable while and more likely ones at the higher level of my ability in the 1400's. I regularly lose these tourni's, but have been honoured to win three so far. One from when I was very new.

Just so you know about me!

Anyway, sandbagging is, in my and wikipedia's definition cheating :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating

And I should like to draw the attention of those here present (should have been a lawyer) to Tournament number 2394, a rated duel tournament for those between 1300-1400. Again, please spot the anomaly (round 4, group 1 is a small clue!).

We have a player rated 1800+ in the tourni, now this may have been a new member to the site, who was unaware of their true rating, which is easily forgivable and as stated previously a good learning experience. However, they have been on the site as a member for nearly two years and have reached the rating of 1,977 at one point and are regularly bouncing up and down in the ratings.

When they entered the tourni they 'knew' that they were artificially lower than the banding dictated and yet still entered. Perhaps within the rules of the site legally, but certainly cheating based on the wikipedia definition refered to.

They are incredibly likely to win the tournament, which will provide them with one more trophy on their wall, but to what end? It will shout 'loser' to all who see it (hopefully!). How could they take away from their dishonest approach? Resign this round within the first two moves of the game so that they do not have a rating decrease and give teh other people in the tournament a fair and honest chance.

Tournament 2394
  11. Subscriber RDM
    11 Jun '08 12:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by surtism*** snip ***
    Tournament 2394[/b]

Tournament 2394
    Jeez surtism - my graph looks suspect compared to yours so I hope no one ever accuses you of sandbagging.
  12. 11 Jun '08 16:37
    No RDM, same applies I wouldn't say you were a sandbagger. It just looks like you are 'bouncing' around between 1250-1400 mostly, over the preeeceding 6 months as opposed to some players that have dramatic rating fluctuations of hundreds of points over short periods.
  13. 11 Jun '08 20:04
    Yep itsa bluddy annoying and the sooner they get tournaments sorted the better.

Tournament 3341 is another example 😠
  14. Standard member Surtism
    Prof.
    11 Jun '08 22:16
    Originally posted by RDM
    Jeez surtism - my graph looks suspect compared to yours so I hope no one ever accuses you of sandbagging.
    I'd say our graphs show similar movements really, perhaps we should have a game? Are you up for a Clan match?
  15. Subscriber RDM
    12 Jun '08 07:52 / 2 edits
    We are already "at war" so to speak. You're playing Dalamar.

Clan challenge 141249

But you can challenge me again if you want 🙂