Do any of you speak in Tongues?

Do any of you speak in Tongues?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
88d

@medullah said
@KellyJay

What was said in tongues that was upbuilding?
I don't recall the exact words it was 40 years ago, not a scribe and I'd hate to misrepresent it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
88d

@kellyjay said
I don't recall the exact words it was 40 years ago, not a scribe and I'd hate to misrepresent it.
Have you ever heard someone “speaking in tongues” and wondered if they were doing it of themself; making it up?

Moves
88d

@kellyjay said
In your opinion, when others speak in tongues (glossolalia), is God the speaker speaking through them?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
88d
1 edit

@pettytalk said
In your opinion, when others speak in tongues (glossolalia), is God the speaker speaking through them?
If it’s legitimately from the Holy Spirit, from God. If it made up by a person for show no, a delusional person no, demonic no.

Moves
88d

@kellyjay said
If it’s legitimately from the Holy Spirit, from God. If it made up by a person for show no, a delusional person no, demonic no.
And who is the judge for determining legitimacy?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
87d

@kellyjay said
A “delusional person”?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
87d

@pettytalk said
God, people pretend to be Christians, Prophets, loving friends, and safe childcare workers the deceptions in this word have been around since truth was spoken to us, the lie came shortly after that.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
87d
1 edit

@kellyjay said
God, people pretend to be Christians, Prophets, loving friends, and safe childcare workers the deceptions in this word have been around since truth was spoken to us, the lie came shortly after that.
@pettytalk said
Pettytalk

@Kellyjay
God

Kellyjay surely this is not correct. The bible instructs us to “discern the spirits” therefore it is us who are to decide whether someone is speaking in “legitimate” tongues.

I’m surprised that you’ve missed something as fundamental as this tbh.

Moves
87d

@kellyjay said
If individuals who are said to be speaking in tongues are merely uttering unintelligible gibberish, how can you--or anyone else--determine whether what they say is true or false?

Are you acquainted with television personalities such as Kenneth Copeland and Paula White, along with other Prosperity Gospel pastors? Many of these figures claim to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and showcase in front of live and TV audiences, wanting to impress their followers with the ability to speak in tongues. Would you consider their claims to be speaking for God truthfully?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-2286990/Video-Paula-White-speaks-tongues-prayer-defeat-Trump-opponents.html

Moves
87d

@kingdavid403 said
What does the Bible say?

[Acts 2:3 NLT] 3 Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them.

[Acts 10:46 NLT] 46 For they heard them speaking in other tongues and praising God. Then Peter asked,

[Acts 19:6 NLT] 6 Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and pro ...[text shortened]... es are clear, not all Christians are able to speak in tongues; as many evangelicals teach and claim.
👍

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
87d

@pettytalk said
If individuals who are said to be speaking in tongues are merely uttering unintelligible gibberish, how can you--or anyone else--determine whether what they say is true or false?

Are you acquainted with television personalities such as Kenneth Copeland and Paula White, along with other Prosperity Gospel pastors? Many of these figures claim to be filled with the Holy Spir ...[text shortened]... l.co.uk/video/news/video-2286990/Video-Paula-White-speaks-tongues-prayer-defeat-Trump-opponents.html
Anyone can claim anything, if what is said isn’t lined up with scripture it’s false.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
87d

@kellyjay said
Anyone can claim anything, if what is said isn’t lined up with scripture it’s false.
Indeed, see my reply to you 3 posts up.

K

Moves
66d

@vivify
I speak in English only. The miraculous gift of languages has ceased.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
66d

@kingfischer72 said
@vivify
I speak in English only. The miraculous gift of languages has ceased.
Who told you that or where did you read it?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
64d

@kellyjay said
Who told you that or where did you read it?
Are you pretending that you aren’t aware of any of the various arguments against the contemporary use of speaking in tongues?