False religion versus the gospel of Jesus Christ

False religion versus the gospel of Jesus Christ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
And in an atheistic framework all immoral acts are merely a matter of opinion anyway so what one atheist may regard as immoral is not necessarily immoral for another atheist.
And in such a framework, no acts are immoral.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Exactly my point.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
But I did answer the question. You asked "Why don't you tell us about your "God-figure" then, or your "superstitions"? And I answered "I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us."
How is that answering the question? Is that the entirely of your religion? That you have no religion? How is that not atheism?

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

So your belief is that, unless one believes in a God, then "no acts are immoral"? Is that your serious and genuine take on the human condition?

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

How is that answering the question? Is that the entirely of your religion? That you have no religion? How is that not atheism?
I haven't claimed that I have a religion. You asked "Why don't you tell us about your "God-figure" then, or your "superstitions"? And I answered "I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us." It's the most succinct answer I can offer because I can't just make up stuff about God and I can't describe any superstitions other than that I have a gut feeling that there is a God, which is why I wouldn't describe myself as an atheist.

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

FMF: I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us.

So what's the difference between you and an atheist?
Well, unlike me, most atheists would either say there is no God who is going to reveal Himself to any of us, or they see no reason to believe that there is a God who is going to reveal Himself to us.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
Well, unlike me, most atheists would either say there is no God who is going to reveal Himself to any of us, or they see no reason to believe that there is a God who is going to reveal Himself to us.
So there is a God but we cannot know Him. Then how do you know there is a God?

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

So there is a God but we cannot know Him. Then how do you know there is a God?
It's a feeling that I would describe as being akin to "instinctive". I wonder whether it is part of my (or our) hard wiring. I also wonder whether the source of the moral sense that humans have is also, in part, explained by our hard wiring.

If so, I wonder whether it is in some way created. But with there being ~ to my way of thinking, anyway ~ no credible revelation from God or a creator, it remains a subject of wonder and conjecture.

For what it's worth, I think religions are the result of wonder and conjecture too and form an integral part of the human condition in action.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
'Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.' (2 Cor13:11)

God doesn't expect you to be perfect. God expects you to 'strive' for perfection. So yes, you can sin and still be righteous.
The God of love will be with you is our hope, doing the right thing by each other, caring
for one another is how we should be living. Our lives should be geared towards these
things that has always been the case, to love God and our fellowman are the two great
commandments.

Only by doing both of those two things do we obey God who is our righteous, loving God
first keeps us away from twisting this life into something it shouldn't be. Due to putting
God first we stop putting ourselves first or anything else. So striving for just ourselves or
those with us cannot be our goal. Even how we treat those that hate us has to be altered
by the love of God since Jesus died for each one of us, we need to put Jesus before our
condemnation of others no matter how just we may think we are. Loving our neighbor
puts others before us so we should not hold back from what is due to others, we need to
look after the needs of others and not think of ourselves only.

Being right with God in Jesus Christ settles our righteousness through Jesus, loving the
Lord is obeying Him and doing right by our King. So we will be striving for perfection as
He defines it. Which is loving God and our neighbors as ourselves. With God as our Lord
no matter our circumstances we need to know He is with us and not get caught up in one
is better than another, or that God likes or hates us, because we have what some would
call a good life or a bad one. Things, power, health, friends, family are not the measure
of God's love for us, we can trust His love no matter what.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I haven't claimed that I have a religion. You asked "Why don't you tell us about your "God-figure" then, or your "superstitions"? And I answered "I don't think God has revealed Himself to any of us." It's the most succinct answer I can offer because I can't just make up stuff about God and I can't describe any superstitions other than that I have a gut feeling that there is a God, which is why I wouldn't describe myself as an atheist.
On what do you base this gut feeling?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
It's a feeling that I would describe as being akin to "instinctive". I wonder whether it is part of my (or our) hard wiring. I also wonder whether the source of the moral sense that humans have is also, in part, explained by our hard wiring.

If so, I wonder whether it is in some way created. But with there being ~ to my way of thinking, anyway ~ no credible ...[text shortened]... result of wonder and conjecture too and form an integral part of the human condition in action.
Ok, but if there is a God, and we cannot know Him, then is there a difference between His existing and His not existing? What I am getting at is then what is the point of there even being a God in the first place? Or can we not even know that, either? And then, what is the point of that?

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

On what do you base this gut feeling?
The expression "gut feeling" is an idiom that you should be familiar with. It means a a personal, intuitive notion or sense about something without knowing exactly why. Being intuitive, it isn't really explicitly based on anything. If I had to guess, I'd say its 'basis' was my hard wiring, pretty much in the same way that your inclination towards religion is probably an upshot of your hard wiring.

F

Moves
17 Aug 16

Ok, but if there is a God, and we cannot know Him, then is there a difference between His existing and His not existing? What I am getting at is then what is the point of there even being a God in the first place? Or can we not even know that, either? And then, what is the point of that?
What do you mean by "what is the point"? Just because you subscribe to a retail religion and have a plethora of "points" pertaining to your theories and dogma, doesn't mean everyone - especially a non-religious person - has to offer you something similar in return. Give me an example of the kind of "point" you imagine I could make, based on what you know, in response to your question "what is the point?"

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
The expression "gut feeling" is an idiom that you should be familiar with. It means a a personal, intuitive notion or sense about something without knowing exactly why. Being intuitive, it isn't really explicitly based on anything. If I had to guess, I'd say its 'basis' was my hard wiring, pretty much in the same way that your inclination towards religion is probably an upshot of your hard wiring.
So if you had to use one word to describe your beliefs would it be theist, agnostic, or FMFinism? I assume atheist is off the table.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
What do you mean by "what is the point"? Just because you subscribe to a retail religion and have a plethora of "points" pertaining to your theories and dogma, doesn't mean everyone - especially a non-religious person - has to offer you something similar in return. Give me an example of the kind of "point" you imagine I could make, based on what you know, in response to your question "what is the point?"
Well, did this God that we cannot know create us humans? Why? Or is this *all* 'unknowable' in some 'zen' sort of way?