No need to be like Christ ?

No need to be like Christ ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Oh dear even if chaney3 has stated it (and you have provided no evidence that he has) as I have said I am giving the Biblical perspective of the use of alcohol and whats more I have given the sound advice that in some instances its better to abstain. You have nothing but your 'swing and miss', take with yourself and give yourself a good slap on the ...[text shortened]... ! yah slaphead! Man you used to be a legendary troll, now you are divegeester level of duffness!
I have stated that I'm an alcoholic Robbie. And as an alcoholic sometimes does, I toy with the notion of successful moderation and responsible drinking....for myself.

When I hear that others can, I am simply asking if that means ALL the time??

c

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
When I asked you if somebody claiming to be a Christian has told you that Jesus had some sort of personal responsibility towards you in curing your alcoholism, you answered, "Absolutely yes, if He is the "God of Your Understanding". And when I asked you whether Jesus drinking alcohol meant to you that he's maybe kind of letting you down and therefore maybe it' ...[text shortened]... ic, you answered, "One could certainly say yes to that. If Jesus says it's okay, then why not??"
Yes, I said those things.

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by chaney3
I have stated that I'm an alcoholic Robbie. And as an alcoholic sometimes does, I toy with the notion of successful moderation and responsible drinking....for myself.

Have you met and discussed "the notion of successful moderation and responsible drinking" with any alcoholics who claim that was their route to recovery?

rc

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by chaney3

Ok thankyou for your honesty and candid admission. Perhaps for you abstention is to be preferred until such times as you are strong enough to drink in moderation. For me its possible because I have set rules and strong motivation as a Christian, for others they need to find some strong motivational force that prevents them from over indulging.

rc

Moves
28 Aug 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Have you met and discussed "the notion of successful moderation and responsible drinking" with any alcoholics who claim that was their route to recovery?
We generally provide Biblical principles that can help. We have literature that we study with people that cultivates a relationship with God, encourages the practice of prayer which helps persons rely on a higher source, the study and application of Biblical principles like moderation, cultivation of self control and looking at positive Biblical examples of persons who overcame adversity and struggled with weaknesses. We also encourage persons to attend meetings where they can feel the support of a loving family. What do you do to help people who struggle with alcoholism?

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

Perhaps for you abstention is to be preferred until such times as you are strong enough to drink in moderation.
Your advice to an alcoholic is that, after managing to stop drinking alcohol, they should maybe return to drinking it later when they are "strong enough"? I'm surprised.

rc

Moves
28 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Your advice to an alcoholic is that, after managing to stop drinking alcohol, they should maybe return to drinking it later when they are "strong enough"? I'm surprised.
I have provided a detailed text on what we do to help people struggling with alcoholism, you were asked what you do? You look surprised? interesting perspective, does it work?

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

We generally provide Biblical principles that can help. We have literature that we study with people that cultivates a relationship with God, encourages the practice of prayer which helps persons rely on a higher source, the study and application of Biblical principles like moderation, cultivation of self control and looking at positive Biblical exa ...[text shortened]... sity and struggled with weaknesses. What do you do to help people who struggle with alcoholism?
Have you ever played any part in helping an alcoholic to recover? Have you ever known an alcoholic personally?

rc

Moves
28 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Have you ever played any part in helping an alcoholic to recover? Have you ever known an alcoholic personally?
Its none of your business who or how many I have helped or known. Tell us what you do to help people who struggle with alcoholism, you seem to be an expert.

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

Slappety slap your forehead.
I don't think the silly banter is called for or appropriate here, robbie.

rc

Moves
28 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think the silly banter is called for or appropriate here, robbie.
I dont care what you consider banter or appropriate. You have been asked what you do to help people who are alcoholics, three times. What do you do to help them?

F

Moves
28 Aug 16
1 edit

Its none of your business who or how many I have helped or known. Tell us what you do to help people who struggle with alcoholism, you seem to be an expert.
I have had a couple of friends I helped. Different times. I went around with them, stuck to them like glue, at the worst of times. Talked for hours. Days. Nursed them through cold turkey. Mopped up. Got into a few scuffles. Cooked. Let them bend my ear through tears. Swept their place for hidden booze. Moved in (with one of them) for a month. Went places with them. Took them to meetings. Waited for them. Talked and talked. Stuck with them while they did all the really hard stuff that it took to come through at the other end of the dark tunnel. You may think your banter is suitable. I don't. And of course it's none of my business who or how many you have helped or known.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Aug 16

Ok thankyou for your honesty and candid admission. Perhaps for you abstention is to be preferred until such times as you are strong enough to drink in moderation. For me its possible because I have set rules and strong motivation as a Christian, for others they need to find some strong motivational force that prevents them from over indulging.
Once you have abused something (whether it be alcohol, drugs or gambling) a return to successful and responsible moderation is highly unlikely.

There is truth in the old adage 'once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.' - Total abstinence is the only sensible way to manage addiction.

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

I know, I am laughing at you because you are a dufus.
Come on robbie, is this silly stuff really necessary'?

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

I have provided a detailed text on what we do to help people struggling with alcoholism, you were asked what you do?
What "detailed text" proposes that an alcoholic, after managing to quit alcohol, should perhaps return to drinking it later but only when they are "strong enough"? Which text said that?