1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:49
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Once you have abused something (whether it be alcohol, drugs or gambling) a return to successful and responsible moderation is highly unlikely.

There is truth in the old adage 'once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.' - Total abstinence is the only sensible way to manage addiction.
    Also, the disease concept states that a 'physical malady' is present in the body of an alcoholic that apparently is not present in others. That if an alcoholic consumes just one beer, the craving kicks in for the desire for more. I would assume that this craving is non-existent for 'normal' drinkers.

Yet, responsible drinkers do get drunk, and maybe while drunk they do something that changes their life, for the worst. It's that point that makes no difference who you are, if you drink alcohol....the possibility exists....for ALL to get drunk.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:494 edits
    Once you have abused something (whether it be alcohol, drugs or gambling) a return to successful and responsible moderation is highly unlikely.

There is truth in the old adage 'once an alcoholic always an alcoholic.' - Total abstinence is the only sensible way to manage addiction.
    Yes its unlikely but not impossible. When one is spiritually strong enough all manner of temptations can be resisted. I don't know if I agree with 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic', people can and do change. For some total abstinence may be needed, but not everyone is the same and we have no need of a dogmatic approach 😀
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes its unlikely but not impossible. When one is spiritually strong enough all manner of temptations can be resisted. I don't know if I agree with 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic', people can and do change. 😀
    That sounds good to me.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:55
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Also, the disease concept states that a 'physical malady' is present in the body of an alcoholic that apparently is not present in others. That if an alcoholic consumes just one beer, the craving kicks in for the desire for more. I would assume that this craving is non-existent for 'normal' drinkers.

Yet, responsible drinkers do get drunk, and maybe while ...[text shortened]... difference who you are, if you drink alcohol....the possibility exists....for ALL to get drunk.
    I drink alcohol, but 'never' get drunk. (1 glass of red wine is my limit. - A bottle lasts 2 of us 2 evenings).

I know though from childhood that 'gambling' is an area I can lose control in. (Slot machines in particular). As a result, I now never gamble.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:572 edits
    I don't know if I agree with 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic', people can and do change.
    The saying 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic' means that once you have been stricken with alcoholism but manage to recover from it, you are 'always an alcoholic' in so far as your problem (inability to cope) with alcohol never actually goes away but you'll be OK as long as you do not succumb and return to drinking it. I was out with a man a week or so ago who still describes himself as an alcoholic. He hasn't touched any alcohol in ten years. Did you really not know what the saying meant?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:571 edit
    That sounds good to me.
    Of one thing I am convinced, mostly people cannot overcome addiction by themselves, they need help and they need to rely on something stronger than themselves, until such times as they are strong enough themselves, just like some plants need a trellis to grow.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    The saying 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic' means that once you have been stricken with alcoholism but manage to recover from it, you are 'always an alcoholic' in so far as your problem (inability to cope) with alcohol never actually goes away but you'll be OK as long as you do not succumb and return to drinking it. I was out with a man who still describes h ...[text shortened]... ago. He hasn't touched any alcohol in ten years. Did you really not know what the saying meant?
    please turn up the tone.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 18:59
    Yes its unlikely but not impossible. When one is spiritually strong enough all manner of temptations can be resisted. I don't know if I agree with 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic', people can and do change. For some total abstinence may be needed, but not everyone is the same and we have no need of a dogmatic approach 😀
    Just do as I tell you.

😠
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 19:00
    Just do as I tell you.

😠
    As you wish Lord Vader! 😀
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 19:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    The saying 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic' means that once you have been stricken with alcoholism but manage to recover from it, you are 'always an alcoholic' in so far as your problem (inability to cope) with alcohol never actually goes away but you'll be OK as long as you do not succumb and return to drinking it. I was out with a man a week or so ago who ...[text shortened]... olic. He hasn't touched any alcohol in ten years. Did you really not know what the saying meant?
    Very true.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 00:26

Yet, responsible drinkers do get drunk, and maybe while ...[text shortened]... difference who you are, if you drink alcohol....the possibility exists....for ALL to get drunk.
    I contend that alcohol has no part o play on people getting into trouble while drunk EXCEPT to loosen up the drinker. That nasty stuff is inside of the drinker waitnig to come out. Don't blame the alcohol
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 00:48
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I contend that alcohol has no part o play on people getting into trouble while drunk EXCEPT to loosen up the drinker. That nasty stuff is inside of the drinker waitnig to come out. Don't blame the alcohol
    So if a person gets drunk, then falls down a flight of stairs and breaks their back.....don't blame the alcohol? There doesn't need to be anything 'nasty' about the thousands of scenarios that could take place while drunk.

I disagree with you.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 01:041 edit
    So if a person gets drunk, then falls down a flight of stairs and breaks their back.....don't blame the alcohol? There doesn't need to be anything 'nasty' about the thousands of scenarios that could take place while drunk.

I disagree with you.
    It's a contentious issue no doubt.

How about this: I come from a pure line of Hungarians who have been drinking for millenia. I can't get drunk from beer or wine. I need something stronger. Generally speaking , drinking alcohol for me is beneficial to my peace of mind and prolly bad for my body.
    Compare this with the indegenous population who never drank before 200 years ago and who seem to have much greater problems with drink than the average whitey.

Seems Jesus' bloodline (genes) would have had some impact on whether he could handle his grog or not. but then again Jesus didn't have a father so one would assume he was more like the aboriginals in Australia. Is that right? or how does that work?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 01:071 edit

I disagree with you.
    You changed your post.

but still, yes. If you fall down the stairs because you are uninitiated into the effects of too much alcohol then it its hard to blame anyone else other than yourself
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '16 01:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    You changed your post.

but still, yes. If you fall down the stairs because you are uninitiated into the effects of too much alcohol then it its hard to blame anyone else other than yourself
    I made no edits or changes to my post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree