No need to be like Christ ?

No need to be like Christ ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
29 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I drink alcohol, but 'never' get drunk. (1 glass of red wine is my limit. - A bottle lasts 2 of us 2 evenings).

I know though from childhood that 'gambling' is an area I can lose control in. (Slot machines in particular). As a result, I now never gamble.
A one glass of wine limit, and no gambling. Sounds like excellent self discipline.

Can the same be said of your cheese consumption?

Moves
29 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Who has stated that chaney3 is an alcoholic? I have not and I don't know anyone who has. Furthermore I am not directing my texts specifically at chaney3, I am giving the Biblical perspective of the use of alcohol. Perhaps if you were not so quick to attempt the 'hit and miss' you might simply attempt to understand the different perspectives prior to posting and it would prevent you from looking so silly.
Chaney3 has stated openly on numerous occasions that he is an alcoholic. He has talked in detail about his counselling and various treatments and has also mentioned how it affects his posting here. How you could have missed all this is almost as astonishing as your obvious lack of knowledge of alcoholism itself, especially when claim to have had exposure to working with alcoholics. It's quite obvious have have not and have previously just been lying about your experience. I've also called you on your cruel "beer" jibes at Very Rusty in the GF; another confessed alcoholic.

Moves
29 Aug 16

Its none of your business who or how many I have helped or known. Tell us what you do to help people who struggle with alcoholism, you seem to be an expert.
In other words; no you haven't. You are just regurgitating jw "pamphlet text"

Moves
29 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think the silly banter is called for or appropriate here, robbie.
Looks like he edited that comment out. Revealing though.

Moves
29 Aug 16
1 edit

Yes its unlikely but not impossible. When one is spiritually strong enough all manner of temptations can be resisted. I don't know if I agree with 'once an alcoholic always alcoholic', people can and do change. For some total abstinence may be needed, but not everyone is the same and we have no need of a dogmatic approach 😀
You of course would know better than the medical experts. Your Church leaders forbid blood transfusions which everyone knows is spot on medical advice. 🙄

rc

Moves
29 Aug 16

Originally posted by chaney3
So if a person gets drunk, then falls down a flight of stairs and breaks their back.....don't blame the alcohol? There doesn't need to be anything 'nasty' about the thousands of scenarios that could take place while drunk.

I disagree with you.
I think what Karoly Poly is trying to say is that alcoholism is a symptom of some other underlying problem. Its kind of like a drug user, the drug user doesn't want to deal with the problem they just want to escape it, so they consume and it doesn't deal with the problem, but creates its own in the long term. The scary thing for me is that what if we don't know what is bothering us, its something buried deep in our subconscious and not entirely clear? Maybe its not even something that we have control over. I was speaking to a lady the other day, her daughter self harms because she was abused as a kid, beautiful young girl, her life almost in ruins and her mom having to pick up the pieces.

rc

Moves
29 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by karoly aczel
It's a contentious issue no doubt.

How about this: I come from a pure line of Hungarians who have been drinking for millenia. I can't get drunk from beer or wine. I need something stronger. Generally speaking , drinking alcohol for me is beneficial to my peace of mind and prolly bad for my body.
Compare this with the indegenous population who neve ...[text shortened]... ould assume he was more like the aboriginals in Australia. Is that right? or how does that work?
I was doing work in a house and the lady was Hungarian. After I finished she gave me a little glass of some Hungarian liqueur made from peaches/apricots I think, it was called palinka? her family had made it at home and she had smuggled it into the UK coming back from her last visit home. She offered me another but one was enough, it must of had the strength of something like Brandy I reckon.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Aug 16

I was doing work in a house and the lady was Hungarian. After I finished she gave me a little glass of some Hungarian liqueur made from peaches/apricots I think, it was called palinka? her family had made it at home and she had smuggled it into the UK coming back from her last visit home. She offered me another but one was enough, it must of had the strength of something like Brandy I reckon.
Indeed. Palinka.
My dad used to make it in the back shed. About 52%.Apricot.

Interestingly he was not a drunk - far from it. In fact he reminded me of my sisters ex-husbands family who were JW's.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
30 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Indeed. Palinka.
My dad used to make it in the back shed. About 52%.Apricot.

Interestingly he was not a drunk - far from it. In fact he reminded me of my sisters ex-husbands family who were JW's.
52% apricot?

Interestingly, Robbie himself is 83% plum.

rc

Moves
30 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
52% apricot?

Interestingly, Robbie himself is 83% plum.
Indeed soft and smooth on the outside with a rock like stoney interior on the inside.😵

Moves
30 Aug 16

I think what Karoly Poly is trying to say is that alcoholism is a symptom of some other underlying problem. Its kind of like a drug user, the drug user doesn't want to deal with the problem they just want to escape it, so they consume and it doesn't deal with the problem, but creates its own in the long term. The scary thing for me is that what if ...[text shortened]... a kid, beautiful young girl, her life almost in ruins and her mom having to pick up the pieces.
Would you also therefore suggest that a drug user has a shot per day like your beer advice?

rc

Moves
30 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Would you also therefore suggest that a drug user has a shot per day like your beer advice?
Actually non medical drug use is anti Biblical. I could show you where it states it but you are not interested in either learning or in the Bibles perspectives. You are only interested in cheap attempts to trap people based on cherry picking their statements and misrepresenting their perspective. Its dull, intellectually stifling, predictable and a crashing bore. Please pester someone else with your hackneyed routine, I've seen the tactic a thousand times and come here to discuss spirituality not to be confronted with a dreary FMF clone.

Moves
30 Aug 16

Actually non medical drug use is anti Biblical. I could show you where it states it but you are not interested in either learning or in the Bibles perspectives. You are only interested in cheap attempts to trap people based on cherry picking their statements and misconstruing their perspective. Its dull, intellectually stifling, predictable and a ...[text shortened]... ousand times and come here to discuss spirituality not to be confronted with a dreary FMF clone.
Same old catchphrases. Yawn.

Moves
30 Aug 16

Actually non medical drug use is anti Biblical. I could show you where it states it but you are not interested in either learning or in the Bibles perspectives. You are only interested in cheap attempts to trap people based on cherry picking their statements and misconstruing their perspective. Its dull, intellectually stifling, predictable and a ...[text shortened]... ousand times and come here to discuss spirituality not to be confronted with a dreary FMF clone.
I'm asking you about the validity of the advice you gave to chaney3 and wether or not you think it's a transferable tactic.

rc

Moves
30 Aug 16

Originally posted by divegeester
Same old catchphrases. Yawn.
another dreary FMF cloned statement. Are you a sockpuppet or what? honestly pester someone else you have nothing of interest to contribute here.