Revelation 17,18

Revelation 17,18

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Dec 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Then you are slobbbering. The Bible makes it clear that its a global entity and is not restricted to a particular culture, nationality or anything else for that matter.
Well, if you do believe that, then it is clear that the RCC has to be a front-runner for the role of the Harlot.

rc

Moves
08 Dec 15
3 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
Well, if you do believe that, then it is clear that the RCC has to be a front-runner for the role of the Harlot.
The identifying features of the Harlot so far are that she sits on many waters i.e. is a global entity and has illicit relationship with the political powers of the system. That is all that can be deduced from the scriptures at this point. Also is it clear that this could relate to Protestantism as well as Catholicism just as well. Anything beyond that at present is pure conjecture.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Dec 15
5 edits

So, Robbie still ignorantly thinks I am somehow giving a free pass to Protestantism. He ignores the logic about the Mother of Harlots.

Why should we not assume that if the Mother is currupted the daughter harlots are not also, in some degree in God's eyes. There is no reason to assume divine displeasure with ONLY the Mother but not with the daughter harlots who are like her.

Now, Robbie hones into the fornication with the kings of the earth like a laser and says essentially - "Nothing else can be ascertained."

He should just speak for himself if that is all he can ascertain. In coming posts I will examine why the cup, the contents, the drunkeness caused by the drinking of it, all can be spiritually discerned to maladies that plague Christiandom's abnormal deviation from the normal church life Christ seeks to build.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Dec 15

In the seven letters to the seven churches in the beginning of Revelation God has outlined for us TYPICAL maladies which will trouble the church. Before we get to chapter 17, we already see in chapters 2 and 3 things which the saints in the churches are called to "overcome" .

Are any of these things corresponding to the view that the golden cup of the Harlot is of God outwardly, yet contains corruption inwardly ?

Yes. Many of the problems which the saints are called to overcome in Revelation 2 and 3 are characteristics of both the Roman Catholic Church AND of the Christendom of denominations which came out of the Reformation.

These will be briefly touched below.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Dec 15

The church in Ephesus is rebuked because she has left her first love.

" But I have one thing against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore where you have fallen from and repent and do the first works, ..." (Rev. 2:3)

This Christian church has much that Jesus commends. She has discernment and can tell true apostles from false ones (v.2). She also has endurance (v.2).

There is much that Jesus commends. And her very name, "Ephesus"{/b] means desirable.

But she has left her first love. The beginning of degradation comes when Christian leave off their FIRST love for Jesus Himself.

We may love our work more, our ministry more, our labor or something else more than Jesus Himself. The first love is the love which puts Jesus first in everything.

The church in Ephesus is in danger of losing her testimony because her first love for Jesus has waned.

[b] "Remember therefore where you have fallen from and repent and do the first works; but if not, I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place, unless you repent." (v.5)

That is to lose the vitality of the testimony of Jesus.

One of the corrupting contents of the golden cup in the hand of the Harlot in Rev. 17 might well be to tendency for Christians to fall away from the love of Jesus which counts Him as FIRST in everything, every matter, every affair.

We have to daily tell Jesus that we love Him and He is first. Lord Jesus, I just love You. Lord, I just love You. I love You to put You First as my top priority."

For sure, one reason church officials flirted with the kings of the earth is because something OTHER than Christ Himself became more important to them.

The church must be on the watch not to lose her first love - the love that places Jesus Christ first and above all matters. All service must come out of our first love for Him.

The leading brothers in the church in Antioch were said to be ministering unto the Lord. All the work came out of their loving ministering unto Christ.

"Now there were in Antioch, in the local church [or the church that was there] prophets and teachers; ... And as they were MINISTERING TO THE LORD and fasting, the Holy Spirit said,

Set apart for Me
[the Holy Spirit] now Barnabus and Saul for the work to which I have called them." (13:1,2)

rc

Moves
08 Dec 15

Originally posted by sonship
So, Robbie still ignorantly thinks I am somehow giving a free pass to Protestantism. He ignores the logic about the [b] Mother of Harlots.

Why should we not assume that if the Mother is currupted the daughter harlots are not also, in some degree in God's eyes. There is no reason to assume divine displeasure with ONLY the Mother but not with the daugh ...[text shortened]... that plague Christiandom's abnormal deviation from the normal church life Christ seeks to build.[/b]
More drool, why don't you simply stick to what can be ascertained from the Bible and who knows you may do better.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Dec 15
1 edit

[b] yes so it then becomes apparent that the harlot is a global entity and not restricted to a particular culture, people, language or religion. What about this phrase?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is right. Catholic means public. The Prostitute is a world wide "public" religious or ...[text shortened]... e] " ... with whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication ..." (2a) [/quote][/b]
Okay, I pointed this out to you before that Revelation 17-18 mentions nothing about daughters, yet you keep talking about daughters.

It should also be obvious from what is happening in our very day that it is radical Islam that is at war with the Lamb and His followers. They are also beheading the saints as is mentioned in Revelation:
And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand...

(Revelation 20:4 NASB)

Islamic warriors also wear the Islamic badge of servitude on their foreheads and right arm today.

It can only be that the Woman and the Beast that John saw in the wilderness of the Saudi dessert is the revival of the Islamic Caliphate Empire.

The woman represents the Great religious economic Harlot City[/b}, and the [b]Beast represents the political and military rule over all the People with a Multitude of Languages from many Nations that rise up under the black banner of Islam to war against the Lamb and His followers.

I believe we are actually seeing a preview of this beginning to happen today with these Islamic terror attacks of ISIS radicals and all those they are influencing over the world. Not all the Islamic terrorists are fighting with head and arm bands or under the black flag, but they are beginning to attack places all over the world after pledging allegiance to the Islamic State.

HalleluYaH !!!
Praise the LORD !!!
Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Dec 15
2 edits

Fornication is distinct here from adultery. Adultery is the sin of unfaithfulness of a spouse. Fornication is the sin of a harlot or prostitute. It is more serious than adultery.

The symbolism means the Roman Catholic Church has sinful relationships with the earth's kings which result in her profit. This is being compared to to the harlot committing sin ...[text shortened]... s and spiritual befuddlement because of the RCC's spiritual fornication and heretical doctrines.
We see from the following that the WINE is the BLOOD of the saints. This is the same imagery Christ used when he said, 'THIS WINE IS MY BLOOD."
And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly.

(Revelation 17:6 NASB)

This blood is the blood from the saints slain by the sword.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Dec 15

The symbolism means the Roman Catholic Church has sinful relationships with the earth's kings which result in her profit - jaywill

This is clearly erroneous. If we are talking about a global entity that is religious in nature then it cannot refer to a specific denomination of Christianity but must refer to a conglomerate of religions.
‘”Allah” is a pre-Islamic name . . . corresponding to the Babylonian Bel’
– (Encyclopedia of Religion, I:117 Washington DC, Corpus Pub., 1979)

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Islamic%20Muslim/islam_exposed.htm

http://babylonmysteryreligion.com/The%20Islam%20Connection.htm

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Dec 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
In the Middle East, "mother of..." is an idiom meaning "the embodiment of..." The "Mother of harlots" would be recognized by any Middle Eastern person as meaning the embodiment of all whoredom.

Iraqi statements on the Persian Gulf war, as reported in the press, have been filled with references to "the mother of battles." The commander of the Ira ...[text shortened]... RY. BABYLON THE GREAT, THE EMBODIMENT OF ALL HARLOTS AND THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
Revelation 17:1-7 NASB
Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed acts of immorality, and those who dwell on the earth were made drunk with the wine of her immorality.” And he carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness; and I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast, full of blasphemous names, having seven heads and ten horns. The woman was clothed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a gold cup full of abominations and of the unclean things of her immorality, and on her forehead a name was written, a mystery, “BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.” And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly. And the angel said to me, “Why do you wonder? I will tell you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns.

ANGELS INTERPRETATION:
Revelation 17:12-15
The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but they receive authority as kings with the beast for one hour. These have one purpose, and they give their power and authority to the beast.

These will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, because He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those who are with Him are the called and chosen and faithful.”

And he *said to me, “The waters which you saw where the harlot sits, are peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues... The woman whom you saw is the great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth.”

My own comments:

It says the kings and those that dwell on the earth are drunk with the wine of acts of her immorality. We see from the following that the WINE is the BLOOD of the saints. This is the same imagery Christ used when he said, 'THIS WINE IS MY BLOOD."

Revelation 17:6 NASB
And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly.

In the Middle East, "mother of..." is an idiom meaning "the embodiment of..." The "Mother of harlots" would be recognized by any Middle Eastern person as meaning the embodiment of all whoredom.

Iraqi statements on the Persian Gulf war, as reported in the press, have been filled with references to "the mother of battles." The commander of the Iraqi Republican Guard is quoted as saying that his troops "will repel the heathen alliance led by America in the mother of battles."

The translation is based on a misunderstanding of the use of the Arabic word "umm" (mother). Besides its literal meaning, "umm" -- when followed by another noun -- is often equivalent to English words like "chief," "main" or "principal" (as in "mother lode" ).

Thus, "umm al-watan" (mother of the homeland) means "metropolis," "ummahat al-hawadith" (mothers of events) means "major events," and "ummahat as-suhuf" (mothers of newspapers) means "leading newspapers." The Arabic phrase literally meaning "mother of battles" (umm al-ma'arik) can best be translated "the great battle," "the mighty battle," perhaps "the decisive battle."

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/07/opinion/l-mother-of-battles-mistranslates-arabic-834791.html

So "mother of harlots" could best be translated "the great harlot" or "the mighty harlot" or "the harlot to end all harlots" and does not mean that it has some daughters.

This also includes the "mother of" the abominations of the earth. So this is actually referring to the great evils of the earth. This could be translated:
MYSTERY. BABYLON THE GREAT, THE EMBODIMENT OF ALL HARLOTS AND THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Dec 15
4 edits

I am interested in what the Bible says and what can be deduced from scripture. Your Catholic church theory is erroneous. I have told you why its erroneous. It is enough for me. You can either accept the fact or reject it.
Usually when you get to this stage of not convincing me, the next stage is name calling. From here I expect you'll begin to use derogatory words to describe my writing that you don't agree with.

But it doesn't matter. The spiritual perception of these things by one who has not received the revelation that Jesus is God incarnate yet, cannot be trusted.

You haven't seen the Christ the Son of the living God. How can you see His church He builds or things pertaining to that ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Dec 15
3 edits

Okay, I pointed this out to you before that Revelation 17-18 mentions nothing about daughters, yet you keep talking about daughters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the comment. I considered it.

The beheading of Christians in any age is a crime against God and humanity which Jesus will avenge. The martyrdom of the followers of Jesus is the Devil's opposition against Christ.

I am not making light of their deaths in any country including the killing of Christians in a US congregation in South Carolina, as a light thing.

I'll add a few comments below. But back and forth for 30 or 40 posts like we did on Genesis 1:1,2 I will not be doing. My not engaging your comments perpetually will likely appear to you as my ignoring you.

I'll respond to a couple of things below.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 15
1 edit

Now if jaywill can refrain from taking the matter personally and suzianne can be reeled in from her orbit around the moon another question which I expect a clear and concise answer.

In what way is the relationship between the Kings of the Earth (the political powers of the system) and the Harlot (this global spiritual entity) illicit?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Dec 15
4 edits

It should also be obvious from what is happening in our very day that it is radical Islam that is at war with the Lamb and His followers. They are also beheading the saints as is mentioned in Revelation:

And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand...

You are partially quoting Revelation 20:4.

"And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and of those who had not worshipped the beast nor his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years." (Rev. 20:4)

What this tells me is that just at the commencement of the millennial kingdom, John sees the resurrection and reigning as co-kings, those beheaded during the great tribulation.

I think the reward includes those killed for Jesus in other times as well. It certainly should include those Christians recently martyred for belonging to Christ.

There is no good reason why I should use this verse to try to wrap all of the visions of chapters 17 and 18 strictly around the things pertaining to Islam.

It might be emotionally tempting to do so. But I think Rev. 20:4 is just a comforting assurance that Christian martyrs will be rewarded to reign in the millennium. They will come from the great tribulation time and from other times during the church age.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Dec 15
2 edits

My own comments:

It says the kings and those that dwell on the earth are drunk with the wine of acts of her immorality. We see from the following that the WINE is the BLOOD of the saints. This is the same imagery Christ used when he said, 'THIS WINE IS MY BLOOD."

Revelation 17:6 NASB

Which do you think is more insidious ?

That an obviously Christ opposing religion in all doctrine would kill Christians in its name OR a religious entity very seemingly associated with Jesus Christ would slay Christians ?

I think the latter is even more like the Devil's attack.
Of course that Islam would kill Christians is terrible also.

If you have ever read Foxe's Book of Christian Martyrs you will see that first Satan persecuted the church from outside. Then the Devil changed tactics to persecute and kill Christians from within the Christian religion as a "Church" of the Roman empire.

The insidiousness of Satan using the Christian religion itself to slay believers is even more wicked than that Pagan persecution would slay them. And that is how you should understand the Harlot drunk with the blood of Christian martyrs in Revelation 17.

The persecution of the Beast is one matter pertaining to the last three and one half year Great Tribulation.

The persecution of the Woman RIDING the beast is another matter related mostly to the past centuries.

The Beast upon which she rides eventually turns against her to HATE her. Both that which HATES her and she herself have been or will be involved in the killing of Christians.

The MYSTERY of the woman should involve that astounding fact that she is related to Christ. The Lord Jesus spoke to the church in Thyatira that some of His people were ensnared by "the deep things of Satan".

" But I say to you - the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this teaching, who have not known the deep things of Satan, as they say - I put no other burden upon you.

Nevertheless what you have hold fast until I come." (Rev. 2:24,25)

Some of the Christian brothers and sisters in the church in Thytira were in such a mixed situation that the occult, the deep things of Satan, had infiltrated the church life. This is a picture of the degradation of Christianity to the lowest point.

And Christiandom became degraded to the point that the "Church" turned her attack against God's people. No wonder John marveled in astonishment at how history would develop as seen in the vision.

The cup, its contents and the drunkeness I may speak to below.