The Triune God in Revelation 4&5

The Triune God in Revelation 4&5

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
You were telling us how the rendering of the New world translation of John 1:1 differs from the Greek.
The original Greek is translated "was" God. The word was God.

Btw Stop slavereing, it's disgusting.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
The original Greek is translated "was" God. The word was God.

Btw Stop slavereing, it's disgusting.
Really then Dr James Moffat was wrong? J.M.P. Smith and E.J. Goodspeed were also wrong. As was Benjamin Wilson. Can you point out their error please because they want to translate the original Greek text differently from you.

En arche en ho logos, kia ho logos en pros ton Theon kai Theos en ho logos.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16
2 edits

I've look at my usual online references and as expected I cannot find any of the ones you cite. (Surprise surprise).
Here are the mainstream translations, every single one translates the word as "was" God.

New International Version
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

New Living Translation
In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

Berean Literal Bible

New American Standard Bible

King James Bible

Holman Christian Standard Bible

International Standard Version
In the beginning, the Word existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NET Bible
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God.

New Heart English Bible

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
In the origin The Word had been existing and That Word had been existing with God and That Word was himself God.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

New American Standard 1977

Jubilee Bible 2000
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and the Word was God.

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version

American Standard Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Darby Bible Translation
In [the] beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament

World English Bible

Young's Literal Translation
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God;

You are in a religious cult Robbie, they will tell you whatever it is they want you to hear. 🙂

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16
1 edit

Really then Dr James Moffat was wrong? J.M.P. Smith and E.J. Goodspeed were also wrong. As was Benjamin Wilson. Can you point out their error please because they want to translate the original Greek text differently from you.
I just have. I've pointed EXACTLY to which word is mistranslated by the NWT and I've given you an extensive list of all the major global translations of the bible.

The Greek work "HN" (en) is translated as "was" God.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 16

I've look at my usual online references and as expected I chat find any of the one you cite. Here are the mainstream translations, every single one translates the word as "was" God.

New International Version

New Living Translation
In the beginning the Word already ex ...[text shortened]...

Your in a religious cult Robbie, they will tell you whatever it is they want you to hear. 🙂
I don't care whether you can find them or not and I also don't care how many translations render the verse a specific way, next you will be telling us nine out of ten cats prefer kitikat making it therefore the best catfood?? Your argument is nothing more than an argumentum ad populum, many people believe it therefore it is. Its logically fallacious and nonsense.

Now you will tell the forum how the New world translation differs from the original Greek.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 16
2 edits

I just have. I've pointed EXACTLY to which word is mistranslated by the NWT and I've given you an extensive list of all the major global translations of the bible.

The Greek work "HN" (en) is translated as "was" God.
No you have done nothing of the sort because I know and understand the Greek text and I know that it does not say 'the word was God' because the phrase 'theos en ho logon' contains no definite article making the 'theo's in the clause an indefinite predicate noun. All you have done is provide a logically fallacious argument and have not explained anything about the Greek text because you quite frankly you don't know anything and here you are pontificating about the New world translation and how evil it is knowing practically zilch yourself?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16

No you have done nothing of the sort because I know and understand the Greek text and I know that it does not say 'the word was God' because the phrase 'theos en ho logon' contains no definite article making the 'theo's in the clause an indefinite predicate noun. All you have done is provide a logically fallacious argument and have not explained anything about the Greek text because you quite frankly you don't know anything.
Haha

"You're wrong because I know the Greek and I'm right"

Wonderful.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16
2 edits

Pure forum gold.

25 global translations of the bible by scolars going back centuries studying the original Greek manuscripts are all wrong. But the scholar Robbie carrobie is right because someone in his church told him what to say.

I love you RHP!

rc

Moves
05 Sep 16
2 edits

Haha

"You're wrong because I know the Greek and I'm right"

Wonderful.
I have provided both the text and the clause and explained it with reference. You have provided so far nothing despite being asked numerous times to explain to the forum how the New world translation diverges from the original Greek. Tell us why you are ignoring the Greek idiom and translating an indefinite predicate noun as if the definite article was present when there is NO definite article. This should be interesting.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 16
2 edits

Pure forum gold.

25 global translations of the bible by scolars going back centuries studying the original Greek manuscripts are all wrong. But the scholar Robbie carrobie is right because someone in his church told him what to say.

I love you RHP!
An argumentum ad poplumn, ouch! James Moffat, Godpseed, Smith and others have translated the text differently, which you seem unable or unwilling to explain. I don't think you making logically fallacious argument and attempting a rather plastic ad hominen is going to help your cause. You insult the forums intelligence with your transparent tactics. Clearly you are bereft but we knew that before we started, it was simply a mater of a little time that needed to demonstrate it.

What a windbag you are Jeester, left smokin once again, pontificating about things on which you have not the slightest idea, how many times must you be burnt to a smouldering cornflake before you learn?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16

I have provided both the text and the clause and explained it with reference. You have provided so far nothing despite being asked numerous times to explain to the forum how the New world translation diverges from the original Greek. Tell us why you are ignoring the Greek idiom and translating an indefinite predicate noun as if it has the definite article when there is NO definite article. This should be interesting.
So what word or are you using for "a" God?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16

An argumentum ad poplumn, ouch! James Moffat, Godpseed, Smith and others have translated the text differently, which you seem unable or unwilling to explain. I don't think you making logically fallacious argument and attempting a rather plastic ad hominen is going to help your cause. You insult the forums intelligence with your transparent tactics ...[text shortened]... he slightest idea, how many times must you be burnt to a smouldering cornflake before you learn?
You posted a list of translations, so did I. What's your beef?

rc

Moves
05 Sep 16

So what word or are you using for "a" God?
The clause is 'theos en ho logos', the word 'theos' has no definite article. In Greek if you want to make a reference to God, as in the almighty, you put the definite article ho, ton etc in front of the noun to let the reader know, thus in the text we have 'ho logos', the word, ton theon literally 'the God' there is NO definite article before theos of the clause theos en ho logos making it an indefinite predicate noun. You know what a predicate noun is, right?

rc

Moves
05 Sep 16

You posted a list of translations, so did I. What's your beef?
Now you are simply wasting my time, goodbye jeester, I have little time for time wasters its far too precious a commodity.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Sep 16

The clause is 'theos en ho logos', the word 'theos' has no definite article. In Greek if you want to make a reference to God, as in the almighty, you put the definite article ho, ton etc in front of the noun to let the reader know, thus in the text we have 'ho logos', the word, ton theon literally 'the God' there is NO definite article before theos ...[text shortened]... os en ho logos making it an indefinite predicate noun. You know what a predicate noun is, right?
But that's not the whole story is it. I asked you what word you used for "a" God?