Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Announcements

Announcements

  1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    04 Jul '08 08:41
    As before, please keep cheating accusations out of the forums, but rather than sending feedback, they should now be directed here :

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/fairplay/createticket.php

    A link has been added to the site FAQ. FAQ [ faq ]fairplay[ /faq ]

    -Russ
  2. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    04 Jul '08 14:19
    Originally posted by Russ
    As before, please keep cheating accusations out of the forums, but rather than sending feedback, they should now be directed here :

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/fairplay/createticket.php

    A link has been added to the site FAQ. FAQ [ faq ]fairplay[ /faq ]

    -Russ
    Have send one urgent case about obvious violation of 3(b). If that player will not be banned ASAP I`ll presume that this system does not work.
  3. Standard member Eldaveer
    Drama Pawn
    04 Jul '08 18:28
    Originally posted by Korch
    Have send one urgent case about obvious violation of 3(b). If that player will not be banned ASAP I`ll presume that this system does not work.
    Looking at your recently finished games, I see several people that look like "engineers". But the one guy who says in his profile that he just learned to play, but his rating goes straight up... Looks VERY fishy to me.
  4. 06 Jul '08 10:29
    Originally posted by Korch
    Have send one urgent case about obvious violation of 3(b). If that player will not be banned ASAP I`ll presume that this system does not work.
    Speed has never been part of the 3b moderation system, as far as I can tell. I'm not getting my hopes up that this has changed under the "new" system.
  5. 06 Jul '08 20:26 / 1 edit
    It seems strange that there was a notice that a major new announcement would be coming in a week, and then the announcement turned out to be just a new form.

    Was there a more significant announcement that was planned, but didn't quite come together?

    As always, I have to think a high level of transparency would be the best policy, even if it's only to say "we planned to do X but couldn't because of Y reason."

    edit: Although reading the original post, it does just say "a new method for alerting suspect cheats", so maybe that's all it was to begin with. Did people just assume the announcement would be something more because it really seemed something more was needed?
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Jul '08 22:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by incandenza
    It seems strange that there was a notice that a major new announcement would be coming in a week, and then the announcement turned out to be just a new form.

    Was there a more significant announcement that was planned, but didn't quite come together?

    As always, I have to think a high level of transparency would be the best policy, even if it's only t announcement would be something more because it really seemed something more was needed?
    We will be taking a slightly different approach to game moderation in future. There will be no further community votes for electing moderation teams. A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly too. Further details to follow within a week.

    -Russ [emphasis added]


    We expected more because we were told there would be more. Instead there is much less.
  7. 06 Jul '08 23:09
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    We will be taking a slightly different approach to game moderation in future. There will be no further community votes for electing moderation teams. A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly [b]too. Further details to follow within a week.

    -Russ [emphasis added]


    We expected more because we were told there would be more. Instead there is much less.[/b]
    Remember, it's a Russ week! I expect further details some time in 2010.
  8. 08 Jul '08 21:55
    I just don't understand why anyone would cheat on this site. Do they actually think that they are as good as their rating when it is a computer's rating in all actuality? I really don't understand why people would do that. So, cheaters, explain yourselves!
  9. Standard member Eldaveer
    Drama Pawn
    09 Jul '08 01:57
    Originally posted by MrHand
    I just don't understand why anyone would cheat on this site. Do they actually think that they are as good as their rating when it is a computer's rating in all actuality? I really don't understand why people would do that. So, cheaters, explain yourselves!
    I am not a cheater, but I think I can give a reasoned explanation for what's going on with them. It's an ego trip. Some people have a strong need to feel one-up on others. It's a need for power.

    Have you ever heard of Dr. William Glasser's theory of the five human needs? Essentially, according to Glasser, people choose to do behave as they do based upon trying to satisfy 5 human needs:

    1. Survival - food, shelter, clothing
    2. Power - feeling important
    3. Love/Belonging - feeling accepted and loved by others
    4. Freedom - free to choose what we want to do with our lives
    5. Fun - the ability to find enjoyment in life by learning and playing

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/404351/an_overview_of_dr_william_glassers.html?cat=38

    Most people on this site are attempting to satisfy need #5: fun. They also, if they get involved enough, get some love & belonging in as well. And if they are good enough, they can fulfill some of their power needs. But for the cheaters, the need for power trumps all others. And they will do whatever it takes to have power over you, even if it is illegitimate power. When they can't win fairly, they cheat.
  10. 09 Jul '08 14:41
    That is probably the most plausible explanation. I still find it hard to understand why people would do it...though there are lots of things that I don't understand in life!!

    Ultimately, they must be tricking themselves at some level and that is the part that baffles me.
  11. Standard member gambit05
    Mad Murdock
    09 Jul '08 15:19
    Ah, my opponent has moved. Let’s see. Hmm, 19. Bf4. Now this is a tricky position. Rxf4? Dangerous. Raf8, doubling my rooks would be an option. But then, what if he plays Qd5+. Arghh, my brain is exploding, and this game is so important. I really would like to win this tournament. What if I ask Fritz, just this one time…
  12. 09 Jul '08 15:40
    Originally posted by MrHand
    I just don't understand why anyone would cheat on this site.
    The unspoken rules of the game have changed from when I started playing the game 24 years ago People no longer respect the old code of honor postal chess players followed for decades.

    CC Chess is sadly a hollow shell of what it once was.
  13. 10 Jul '08 14:30
    Originally posted by Eldaveer
    I am not a cheater, but I think I can give a reasoned explanation for what's going on with them. It's an ego trip. Some people have a strong need to feel one-up on others. It's a need for power.

    Have you ever heard of Dr. William Glasser's theory of the five human needs? Essentially, according to Glasser, people choose to do behave as they do based u ...[text shortened]... power over you, even if it is illegitimate power. When they can't win fairly, they cheat.
    Spot on.

    I'd also add, the people who have very high power needs (cheaters) are those who aren't getting enough love - so they need lots more power to compensate.

    Hitler is the ultimate example of this - no-one loved him (except Eva Braun, who was an empty-headed bimbo, and his dog Blondi.) So he had to make himself a brutal dictator to compensate for the lack of love in his life. Hitler would definitely have been a RHP cheater!

    So, don't feel anger towards cheaters. Feel sorry for them. They're almost as sad as Hitler. No-one loves them, cheating is the closest they can come to feeling happy...
  14. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    15 Jul '08 04:08
    Originally posted by Korch
    Have send one urgent case about obvious violation of 3(b). If that player will not be banned ASAP I`ll presume that this system does not work.
    he looks like the brother of BNL legend honus.. check it out
    http://www.formstar.net/rhpfaces/hj/honus.html
  15. 15 Jul '08 23:17
    Originally posted by Spike42
    Spot on.

    I'd also add, the people who have very high power needs (cheaters) are those who aren't getting enough love - so they need lots more power to compensate.

    Hitler is the ultimate example of this - no-one loved him (except Eva Braun, who was an empty-headed bimbo, and his dog Blondi.) So he had to make himself a brutal dictator to compensate for ...[text shortened]... sad as Hitler. No-one loves them, cheating is the closest they can come to feeling happy...
    Mass genocide or running a software program....WTF?!