1. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 23:38
    idiot mod removed my post even though i didnt name names. well, it is tough to spot a cheater unless you have a lot of time and the latest version of fritz. If you do, you can run their games through it and look at the matchup percentages.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 13:36
    Originally posted by Aristolle
    The unspoken rules of the game have changed from when I started playing the game 24 years ago People no longer respect the old code of honor postal chess players followed for decades.

CC Chess is sadly a hollow shell of what it once was.
    i myself have always been a hollow shell. nice to play a game where i fit in.
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 06:24
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    i myself have always been a hollow shell.
    I thought you were a straw man ...
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 22:53
    Originally posted by Eldaveer
    I am not a cheater, but I think I can give a reasoned explanation for what's going on with them. It's an ego trip. Some people have a strong need to feel one-up on others. It's a need for power.

Have you ever heard of Dr. William Glasser's theory of the five human needs? Essentially, according to Glasser, people choose to do behave as they do based u ...[text shortened]... power over you, even if it is illegitimate power. When they can't win fairly, they cheat.
    It's been a long time since anyone's mentioned Dr Glasser that I can recall.
    I read his 'Reality Therapy' when I was a kid, at the recommendation of my
    tennis coach.

Thanks for the blast from the past.

Nemesio
  5. Joined
    25 May '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 16:301 edit
    Hi together,

I am a little startled, when I heard the the easiliy words about banning user from this side, because of cheating.
    Have anyone see it with his eyes or noticed it that he/she can say it to 100% (not 99,99999% and round it to 100% ) that one of this user are a cheater. Only when one user is banned, because he is not a cheater, it is a like a big bang.
    By the way I hate cheating, too.
    Who from you had read the book lord of th rings or had seen the film. Gandalf said an important thing: Don't be easy with the death to somebody when you cannot ressurect somebody.

Jürgen
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 17:201 edit
    Originally posted by Eldaveer
    I am not a cheater, but I think I can give a reasoned explanation for what's going on with them. It's an ego trip. Some people have a strong need to feel one-up on others. It's a need for power.

Have you ever heard of Dr. William Glasser's theory of the five human needs? Essentially, according to Glasser, people choose to do behave as they do based u ...[text shortened]... power over you, even if it is illegitimate power. When they can't win fairly, they cheat.
    I think that this applies to some of them, but you are talking about chess players who get tempted or think their opponent is cheating and start using engines for that reason.

I think a lot of the more blatant cheats are second lifers who are role playing. Their character is a strong chess player who is moving up the ranks etc. This is why their chess knowledge is so faulty whenever they post in the forums. They are role playing, so banning them isn´t really a punishment as it simply adds to the drama. So don´t feel any sympathy for them, they should role play on a role playing site.
  7. Joined
    25 May '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 14:311 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 19:33
    not wanting to stir, but to save anyone clicking on every stoopid round of the tourny, this guy's in group 79!

that's 6 minutes of my life i'll never see again.
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 09:32
    Having looked at the profile in question, I'd consider it worthy of a fair play ticket.
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 17:36
    Guys
    Please read the first post in the thread. The information given lets anyone identify the accused.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree