1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 00:11
    Dave, you once said to me that no matter what system is in place, there will always be a way for people to exploit any "loopholes" and give themselves (or others) an unfair advantage.
    Narrowing the points difference to 100, or making it a 5 year average instead may help, but not significantly... it would only be a half measure.

My thoughts? Take the full measure and have the very people who are guilty of wrongdoing banned.
  2. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 04:491 edit
    I don't understand what's wrong with both teams just sending their best available teams to play against each other, forget rating limitations. Then the best clan will always win. It's supposed to be about the chess. Not manipulating your rating or stacking the odds in your favor. Give each clan it's own elo rating, highest rating at the end of the year wins. With each clan having it's own rating the top team wont get much points from playing the lowest rated team, if they get any at all.

This would also have an added bonus of shifting the focus on skill rather than just playing fast with a ton of games on the go to get more points.

Can anybody think of a more fair and balanced system than this?
  3. Here
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 07:13
    Originally posted by venda
    By preventing a clan mounting multiple big challenges against a "dummy" clan and falsifying the results as I think Al is suggesting.
    There's also a rule which stops re - challenges between clans within a certain period meaning clans can't conclude challenges almost immediately and then mount a new one
    If clans are doing this as soon as the time period expir ...[text shortened]... he admins who should be able to do something about it.
    I suggest sending feedback with evidence
    Must admit I hadn't noticed this but let's deal with one thing at a time
    Please support my proposal on "Site Ideas "
    The Clan getting challenges giving results can only come from members in the same clans
    Obviously where members are in two clans whether or not they are in the same challenge should be stopped
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 09:42
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    I don't understand what's wrong with both teams just sending their best available teams to play against each other, forget rating limitations. Then the best clan will always win. It's supposed to be about the chess. Not manipulating your rating or stacking the odds in your favor. Give each clan it's own elo rating, highest rating at the end of the ye ...[text shortened]... on the go to get more points.

i can think of problems for low rated players.
    Who is going to accept a 1200 or lower player into their clan if it lowers their overall clan rating?.
    The system you propose is already in place in the site clan leagues where match ups are automatic regardless of rating.
    Consequently not many weak clans enter the site leagues
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 09:45
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Dave, you once said to me that no matter what system is in place, there will always be a way for people to exploit any "loopholes" and give themselves (or others) an unfair advantage.
    Narrowing the points difference to 100, or making it a 5 year average instead may help, but not significantly... it would only be a half measure.

My thoughts? Take the full measure and have the very people who are guilty of wrongdoing banned.
    First of all you've got to prove it and secondly banning people loses revenue for the site.
    Another of my beliefs is that in all walks of life the bottom line always comes down to money
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 10:40
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Is there a system that works against people willing to sandbag and throw games? 😛
    How about clan leaders having a backbone and just not recruiting these players?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 10:44
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    least net points this year Anti Metallica and Breaking Bad, highest Easy Riders, i think everyone can clearly see now waht is happening and that the clan system is dead
    Well, it's not yet dead, but certainly on life support.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 10:47
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain

I agree.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Easy-peasy.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 10:50
    I don't understand what's wrong with both teams just sending their best available teams to play against each other, forget rating limitations. Then the best clan will always win. It's supposed to be about the chess. Not manipulating your rating or stacking the odds in your favor. Give each clan it's own elo rating, highest rating at the end of the ye ...[text shortened]... on the go to get more points.

Yes.

I say cut the mumbo-jumbo with number of points this and 5 yr that.

Let's have a clan game rating and a non-clan game rating. That will stop all the sandbagging like a freaking heart attack.
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 14:45
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes.

Let's have a clan game rating and a non-clan game rating. That will stop all the sandbagging like a freaking heart attack.
    You may have something there.
    I can't remember this being suggested before and I can't think of any drawbacks offhand.
    After all you can have an exclusive club rating so why not an exclusive clan rating?
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 13:381 edit
    There is no activity on stopping the problem of the collusion.

Even if you can't fix the hardware, you could adjust the ill gotten points.
    It has been done in the past, so why not again?
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 13:39
    By preventing a clan mounting multiple big challenges against a "dummy" clan and falsifying the results as I think Al is suggesting.
    There's also a rule which stops re - challenges between clans within a certain period meaning clans can't conclude challenges almost immediately and then mount a new one
    If clans are doing this as soon as the time period expir ...[text shortened]... he admins who should be able to do something about it.
    I suggest sending feedback with evidence
    But with 3 concurrent challenges of 15-20 players times two feeder clans to the
    cheating clan, it would easily generate 90-120 gift points every few weeks.
    No clan could overcome a 1500-2000 point gift deficit in a year.
    The system as it sits is a joke.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Feb '16 05:092 edits
    First of all you've got to prove it and secondly banning people loses revenue for the site.
    Another of my beliefs is that in all walks of life the bottom line always comes down to money
    I believe you said it in a nut shell bottom line comes down to money. I've seen a few good suggestions also, on how to handle the situation.

Get rid of the few involved, sure you lose some revenue but you get the problem cleaned up, with very good odds no one will try the same thing again.

Plan B, suspend the ones involved and take away the points, then again the point you brought up is to prove it. One could come pretty close to seeing the stolen points, IMHO.

Who before almost the end of February has EVER had such a lead on some pretty good teams? It does get ridiculous.

My 5 cents worth, as we don't have any pennies any more in Canada.
    -VR
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 03:34

Normally, I'd support this, but for the presence of Engineeers.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 04:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes.

You can always sandbag in clan games in which the team outcome is already decided.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree