1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 09:511 edit
    We will be taking a slightly different approach to game moderation in future. There will be no further community votes for electing moderation teams. A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly too. Further details to follow within a week.

-Russ
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 11:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 12:31
    Originally posted by Russ
    We will be taking a slightly different approach to game moderation in future. There will be no further community votes for electing moderation teams. A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly too. Further details to follow within a week.

-Russ
    Swell. Thanks for taking the community's input soooooooooooooooooooooo seriously.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 13:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Swell. Thanks for taking the community's input soooooooooooooooooooooo seriously.
    Cool down, the alternative was 'giving up'.

P-
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 13:31
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Cool down, the alternative was 'giving up'.

P-
    Didn't you know? numb1 is ALWAYS right...
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 13:38
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Didn't you know? numb1 is ALWAYS right...
    He's right 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time. Now he's RONG for once. Mark your calender.

P-
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 15:34
    Wow!
  8. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 20:34
    Just to tease everyone, the new system, from what I've heard so far, is a definite improvement. The community vote thing was probably a stupid idea in retrospect. 😀
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 22:322 edits
    So will the new idea be, that no one will know who the Game Mods are, or the size of the team?

Just a really wild guess! 🙂

Making a note June 18,2008...The day #1 was wrong. 😛
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 01:33
    I'm hoping the change will involve hiring an outside GM/IM to oversee the moderation process. Get someone who is knowledgeable enough to make accurate decisions, but is not a player on the site and hence has no potential for bias.

Surely there are some players out there who are very strong, but not quite strong enough to have an actual career in chess, who would be happy to have a chess-related job (even part time). The same type of people who hire themselves out for coaching on ICC, for example.

Of course cost could be prohibitive here, but hey, if they've devoted their lives to chess maybe they're used to being poor 🙂
  11. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 04:53
    Originally posted by incandenza
    I'm hoping the change will involve hiring an outside GM/IM to oversee the moderation process. Get someone who is knowledgeable enough to make accurate decisions, but is not a player on the site and hence has no potential for bias.

Surely there are some players out there who are very strong, but not quite strong enough to have an actual career in chess ...[text shortened]... ve here, but hey, if they've devoted their lives to chess maybe they're used to being poor 🙂
    I have to start reading more slowly -- I thought you said "oversee the immolation process." Then again, people would think twice about using engines...
  12. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 08:11
    Originally posted by incandenza

Surely there are some players out there who are very strong, but not quite strong enough to have an actual career in chess ...[text shortened]... ve here, but hey, if they've devoted their lives to chess maybe they're used to being poor 🙂
    Yes I agree outside moderation is the way to go!
    To quote myself from chess only forum:

I think Russ should try to get one or two people onboard as game mods who are previously independent of this site & have reasonable knowledge & experience of the game.
    Either that, or leave it as a free-for-all, á la yahoochess.

I know this sounds impractical, but it's the only way that decisions can be enforced without bias or prejudice. Being a current (or former) game mod should not be a means to exclude anyone from this process either.
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 12:39
    A new method for alerting suspect cheats will be introduced shortly too. Further details to follow within a week.

Look at the ski slope - is it greater than 37.9845 degrees?
    If yes, then there is a chance the player may be cheating, however

Is this a new player who has not found their playing level?

If yes, pee off and just dinnae play them again until they have reached their true level.

If no they could be cheating, pee off and just dinnae play them again.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 23:36
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Just to tease everyone, the new system, from what I've heard so far, is a definite improvement. The community vote thing was probably a stupid idea in retrospect. 😀
    Who's "stupid idea" was it? Who had absolute control of who would be on the Game Mod team regardless of the results of the vote?

The same people who now supposedly have a "definite improvement"?
  15. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 09:271 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Who's "stupid idea" was it? Who had absolute control of who would be on the Game Mod team regardless of the results of the vote?

The same people who now supposedly have a "definite improvement"?
    Edited due to wanting to be able to continue posting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree