1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 16:131 edit
    Lazy? Lazy? That is a good hack, that, and not the first time I have used that trick either. 😛

That will be the 10th birthday of RHP, so I suspect the post will have been replaced long before then. Do remind me on the 20th Feb 2011 though if this isn’t the case. Thanks.

-Russ
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Exactly. If someone asks a question which is in the FAQ or answered in another thread on the first page of the forum I will ridicule them or perhaps give obviously ridiculous advice. They deserve it.
    IT'S THE HELP FORUM! People are generally going to go there for "Help". If it offends your sense of balance in the universe that someone who is fairly new or brand new asks a question you think is stupid, ignore it. A newbie asking for help shouldn't have to wade through a bunch of snotnose comments; it's bad for bizness. If he wants to be abused that's what the General, Debates and other forums are for.
  3. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 18:082 edits
    I created the 'bogus' Help threads: "What is Stalemate?"; "What is the Object of the Game?"; and "What are Check and Checkmate?" to make a point of the fact there are omissions from the site's chess rules.

If these rules were complete, it's just possible that fewer newbies would be posting the same questions over and over, concerning the basics. And so I suggest that if the Help forum is to be 'cleaned up', the answers are provided before their questions are asked.
  4. Joined
    30 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 18:27
    why not have a newbie forum?
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 19:33
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I created the 'bogus' Help threads: "What is Stalemate?"; "What is the Object of the Game?"; and "What are Check and Checkmate?" to make a point of the fact there are omissions from the site's chess rules.

If these rules were complete, it's just possible that fewer newbies would be posting the same questions over and over, concerning the basics. ...[text shortened]... e Help forum is to be 'cleaned up', the answers are provided before their questions are asked.
    Why not just point out that there are omissions?

On a more general point, what kind of person goes looking through a "help" thread just to take the p**s?
  6. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 21:24
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Why not just point out that there are omissions?

I have. More than once.
  7. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 01:16
    Originally posted by dinc168
    why not have a newbie forum?
    Your suggestion probably belongs in "Site Ideas" 😛
  8. Joined
    30 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 01:321 edit
    Your suggestion probably belongs in "Site Ideas" 😛
    I would have put it in site ideas but felt it relevant to the thread.And I am sure you being so experienced on this site could see that.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 09:591 edit

If these rules were complete, it's just possible that fewer newbies would be posting the same questions over and over, concerning the basics. ...[text shortened]... e Help forum is to be 'cleaned up', the answers are provided before their questions are asked.
    Why don't you just write up the ommitted rules and submit them to Russ to proof read and put on the site?

I'm sure he'd prefer to just have to proof read the rules rather than research and write them himself.

It'd be a good contribution to the site as well, so why don't you do it?

D
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 15:12
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Why don't you just write up the ommitted rules and submit them to Russ to proof read and put on the site?

I'm sure he'd prefer to just have to proof read the rules rather than research and write them himself.
    Deal. If Russ is listening, my rate is 4p a word. I'll proofread them for free.
  11. Standard memberWildfire
    Force of Nature
    The Bathroom
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 19:03
    Deal. If Russ is listening, my rate is 4p a word. I'll proofread them for free.
    How generous of you.
  12. Earth Prime
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 19:59
    Russ, We also need to add to the FAQ "How do I unsubscribe?" It's one of the most common questions and is not addressed.
  13. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 20:35
    Originally posted by Wildfire
    How generous of you.
    You're right. Better make it 6p a word.
  14. Standard memberWildfire
    Force of Nature
    The Bathroom
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 00:50
    You're right. Better make it 6p a word.
    That's better.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 06:21
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have noticed an increasing tendency by some people to offer bogus advice in the help forum. This really doesn't help anyone, and there are plenty of other forums available to express your sense of humour.

From today I will be removing unhelpful posts and issuing forum bans for deliberately misleading posts. No explanations will be sent.

If you are a ...[text shortened]... ing to confuse, please alert them to help the process of clearing them down.

Thanks,

-Russ
    Job well done. Congratulations for doing a good job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree