1. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 02:40
    And many congrats on becoming "Carbon Neutral". I can play chess with a clear conscience!

Cheers,

Henry
  2. Joined
    24 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 02:43
    Thank you for the explanation. Very happy with the update!
  3. Joined
    04 May '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 04:04
    Thanks to all of those at RHP.

I really appreciate all the hard work you have put in. Was getting withdrawal symptons for a while there.
  4. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 06:04
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Russ, you really should think about doing this stuff for a living some day. You're actually pretty good. I am glad you got some of the kinks ironed out. I can imagine the stress was pretty tough. But you know what, I think everyone pretty much understands. Don't sweat it. I'm glad you guys got it up and running again. Always remember.

There are only ...[text shortened]... n any job:

1) Duct Tape
    2) WD40.

If it wiggles use duct tape, if it don't use WD40.
    There is a third tool.

Scissors. The all around hammer, screwdriver, pliers, cutters, and wrench.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 08:54
    I think one of the main reasons people are not complaining is the good communication during the problems.

Thanks for all the hard work.
  6. Amsterdam
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 09:02
    It's not very original to say anymore, but GREAT WORK GUYS!

Superb performance..

Keep up the good work!

Patrick..
  7. Koblenz/Germany
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 17:08
    I'm happy to see that the fun will continue. But I would like to know, when the timeout suspension will finally end. Since Friday I've been trying hour by hour to terminate seven games, but it still doesn't work.
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 19:19
    Thanks for the info..i hope you can see you guys are appreciated and pretty much everyone understands there are going to be problems from time to time..

Good Job guys 🙂
  9. Standard memberKeth Pride
    The great cornholio
    Leicester
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 19:41
    Its been said a hundred times, but well done to you guys at RHP, you've kept us well informed and dealt with it under what must have been misserable circumstances in the middle of the night.

I didnt mind the outage for a day - it stopped the earache from the girlfriend that I spend every night playing chess!

Keep up the good work
  10. Standard memberTychoo
    F**k the EU, IMF,WB
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:512 edits
    Thanks guys for all your hard work on the updates.
    I'll be renewing my membership again this year may even get my son to sign up this time.

I have just one question. When will the timeout ban be lifted?

I have a game that was started after the upgrade but i can not claime the skull.
  11. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:14
    Carbon neutral?! Excellent!! More trees means more trees to make chess pieces from!!
    Keep up the good work 🙂
  12. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:22
    I am starting to wonder just how it is carbon neutral. How does that work? Bicycle peddles?
  13. Joined
    24 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 06:49
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I am starting to wonder just how it is carbon neutral. How does that work? Bicycle peddles?
    It will depend on exactly where they are located and which regulations they come under, but the basic idea will be the same.

When a company states that they are carbon neutral it doesn't mean that they produce no carbon (well, it might, but I've never heard of a case). What it means is that they have purchased carbon offsets of one form or another.

An example of carbon offsets could be that RHP has paid another company to plant enough trees to soak up the same amount of carbon that RHP is emitting, or (in some jurisdictions) has in effect compensated another company for the costs that they incurred in reducing their emissions.

The main problem with this whole set up is that if the trees were going to be planted anyway, or the third party company was already going to make those emission reducing changes then no actual carbon reductions has occured. In this situation the 'carbon neutral' tag is just a piece of clever accounting.

It is very difficult to tell if the offsets purchased by any particular company (ie. RHP) are actuall offsets are not.
  14. Warszawa
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 13:09
    Are there any visible changes in the update?

Also - if similar problem happens in the future, it could be better to assume some safe date, publish it on the website and keep system down until then even if ready sooner. If one is told "the system is down until Saturday, Mar 1, 12:00 GMT" he (or she) can safely stop visiting the site until then (without risking timeouts) and then just return, and admins need not to hurry that much. Promising to be down for 5 days and being down for 5 days brings more confidence than promising to be down for 1 day, then for 2 days, then for 3 days, then actually returning online after 3 days and 19 hours.

(yeah, that's always easy to be wise when it is not me who unexpectedly faces the problem ;-) )

PS Some other chess site had crash a few days ago, after which it restored from the backup which was ... 63 days old ;-)
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 13:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree