1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 13:499 edits
    In response to community feedback, we have put in place a change to the terms of service text that removes a little ambiguity and is explicit about the use of Endgame tablebases.

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS

(b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play.

Now reads :

(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

-Russ

[20070327 Edited for formatting.]
    [20070328 Edit : Link fixed]
    [20070328 Edit : For typo]
    [Also, thanks to Gatecrasher for suggesting the text.]
  2. Joined
    02 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 19:381 edit
    Does this mean we can't reference Kasparov vs. Deep Blue or other human vs. computer games?
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 19:45
    That link does not work.
  4. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 19:501 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    In response to community feedback, we have put in place a change to the terms of service text that removes a little ambiguity and is explicit about the use of [="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_tablebase"]Endgame tablebases[/].

[i](b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any thir ...[text shortened]... ]

-Russ

[Edited for formatting.]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_tablebase

Appears to be this site.
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 21:281 edit
    In response to community feedback, we have put in place a change to the terms of service text that removes a little ambiguity and is explicit about the use of [="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_tablebase"]Endgame tablebases[/].

[i](b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any thir ...[text shortened]... ]

-Russ

[Edited for formatting.]
    [/i]Okay, thanks Russ, I think this helps those who get confused reading that bit; however, it doesn't exactly make perfect sense yet.

Instead of:
    'While a game is progress you...'

Perhaps you should say:
    'While a game is in progress you...'

or

'While a game is progressing you...'

I think that would make more sense.

Thanks for all the effort you put into the site btw! 🙂
  6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 22:41
    Yeah, there's an "in" missing.

So it wasn't just a case of cut, paste and post. A little bit of editing required too!
  7. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 00:48
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    So it wasn't just a case of cut, paste and post. A little bit of editing required too!
    (The more edits, the more one learns...!)
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 09:47
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Yeah, there's an "in" missing.

[ooops 😳]
  9. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 19:48
    In response to community feedback, we have put in place a change to the terms of service text that removes a little ambiguity and is explicit about the use of [=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_tablebase]Endgame tablebases[/].

[i](b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third ...[text shortened]... Link fixed]
    Great, now spa.. message everyone on the site and inform them.
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 01:49
    You might clear this up, too...can we consult endgame tables in books?
  11. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 09:14
    The endgame tablebases are far too big to print
  12. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 18:56
    Originally posted by cadwah
    Great, now spa.. message everyone on the site and inform them.
    Couldn't agree more,

Pointless having an major amendent to the TOS and just posting it on the announcements board when only a small fraction of ppl visit this forum.
  13. Standard membernarya
    pawnic attack
    Eriador
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 04:55
    I've been consulting the Shredder online opening database, so that I can learn the various names for the classic openings, and their first 5 or 6 moves. I don't use it past the 6th move. Is this OK under the TOS?

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 08:451 edit
    Originally posted by narya
    I've been consulting the Shredder online opening database, so that I can learn the various names for the classic openings, and their first 5 or 6 moves. I don't use it past the 6th move. Is this OK under the TOS?

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html
    See above.

...but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

-Russ
    [/i]
  15. Joined
    25 Feb '04
    Moves
    15 May '07 04:42
    In response to community feedback, we have put in place a change to the terms of service text that removes a little ambiguity and is explicit about the use of [=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_tablebase]Endgame tablebases[/].

[i](b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third ...[text shortened]... Link fixed]
    ](b) You will not use chess engines, chess software, chess computers or consult any third party to assist you in any game. Chess books and databases can be consulted during play.

So you cant ask some dumb ass patzer that is sat next to you while you consider a move what move he would play, BUT you CAN consult chess books and databases that contain thousands of very strong moves and lines of play, books and databases that are written by GM's and IM's

How on earth do you police this nonsense ?

No hang on, a better question would be why do you even waste your time with this crap.

Regards

Forever

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree