1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 19:132 edits
    Originally posted by Renars
    surely that's very unlikely, despite the new changes..
    It already happened before the new changes, and the changes will exacerbate the issue.

Think of this way: There were enough underrateds winning low-band tourneys to prompt enough threads on sandbagging to force a site rule change. Where are these players going to go now that their TER stays higher for a much longer time period? Naturally, to the high-band tourneys, or open tourneys. The problem has just been shifted from one group to another in hopes that the 'other' group won't complain as much. 😕

Edit: Check out Tournament 7403 - a 1750+ tourney with a 1000-rated player in it!
  2. Here
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 20:59
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It already happened before the new changes, and the changes will exacerbate the issue.

Think of this way: There were enough underrateds winning low-band tourneys to prompt enough threads on sandbagging to force a site rule change. Where are these players going to go now that their TER stays higher for a much longer time period? Naturally, to the high- ...[text shortened]... much. 😕

Edit: Check out Tournament 7403 - a 1750+ tourney with a 1000-rated player in it!
    As this player has had mass resignations this just proves that the new T E R is working already
  3. The Smoke
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 21:51

Think of this way: There were enough underrateds winning low-band tourneys to prompt enough threads on sandbagging to force a site rule change. Where are these players going to go now that their TER stays higher for a much longer time period? Naturally, to the high- ...[text shortened]... much. 😕

catalinpv was a 2100+ player just a few days ago! I was playing against him in one of the octets where he resigned as well.. he/she PMed saying 'haven't got time' .. so don't think this is a good example 😉 well, from you I was reading it would be affecting tournaments [i]en masse[i]
  4. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 22:55

Surely the point is that a player with a high rating spoils a tournament if by sandbagging he/she is able to enter a lower rated tournament.

However a player being forced by the 365 day rule to enter higher-rated tournaments surely should not be a problem as she/he will probably lose most of their games. An 1800 player playing in a tournament for 1300-1400 is more of a problem than a 1300 plsyer in am 1800+ tournament.

I always thought sandbagging was about pathetic players entering tournaments below their ability to add to their tournament weins.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 00:25
    Originally posted by padger
    As this player has had mass resignations this just proves that the new T E R is working already
    That's like saying a crime prevention program is working if someone else gets robbed instead of you.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 00:292 edits
    [b]catalinpv was a 2100+ player just a few days ago! I was playing against him in one of the octets where he resigned as well.. he/she PMed saying 'haven't got time' .. so don't think this is a good example 😉 well, from you I was reading it would be affecting tournaments en masse[i][/b][/i]
    Afraid you've missed my point somehow. The example shows just what I said will happen under TER: massively underrated players in high-band tourneys.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 00:411 edit
    Originally posted by jayaitch
    Surely the point is that a player with a high rating spoils a tournament if by sandbagging he/she is able to enter a lower rated tournament.

However a player being forced by the 365 day rule to enter higher-rated tournaments surely should not be a problem as she/he will probably lose most of their games. An 1800 player playing in a tournament for 1300- ...[text shortened]... bout pathetic players entering tournaments below their ability to add to their tournament weins.

The point should be broader. Lower rated players aren't the only ones who don't want massively underrated players in their tourneys [and clan challenges, leagues, etc.]

However a player being forced by the 365 day rule to enter higher-rated tournaments surely should not be a problem as she/he will probably lose most of their games.

No, they will not. Instead, they will take an undue amount of rating points away from their opposition, since they used to be much higher rated, and have probably not lost any actual chess strength.

An 1800 player playing in a tournament for 1300-1400 is more of a problem than a 1300 plsyer in am 1800+ tournament.

False.

I always thought sandbagging was about pathetic players entering tournaments below their ability to add to their tournament weins.

"Sandbagging" is an unfortunate choice of term for the TER/rating floor debate, as many of those who drop hundreds of points have merely needed a break from the site, and not deliberately tried to tank their rating.
  8. Here
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 06:29
    That's like saying a crime prevention program is working if someone else gets robbed instead of you.
    He was averaging around 1700 before his dump .So he has the ability to play at that level.Now he can't enter tournaments that he is not entitled to.
    I realise that you may be penalised in the short term but in the long term this can only be a benift.
  9. The Smoke
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 10:573 edits
    I'm not getting this... the particular example does all but proves your concern: the player in question would've qualified for the said tournament regardless, either under old or new T E R (at the time of entering the tournament his/her T E R was representative of his/her actual rating ) The only problem there is that she/he failed to withdraw himself from the tournament he had entered before leaving the site (which he had apparently done), leading you believe that this was a case of, quote, massively underrated players in high-band tourneys . Maybe you do have a point, but this is just a bad example... imho
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 18:292 edits
    I'm not getting this... the particular example does all but proves your concern: the player in question would've qualified for the said tournament regardless, either under old or new T E R (at the time of entering the tournament his/her T E R was representative of his/her actual rating ) The only problem there is that she/he failed to withdraw himse ...[text shortened]... in high-band tourneys . Maybe you do have a point, but this is just a bad example... imho[/b]
    I was not privy to the fact that he had joined the tourney before mass-resigning, and while I do agree that it makes the example less forceful, it does not invalidate it entirely. It shows that there is still a loophole in the system. The fact remains that such a player can still enter a high-band tourney, whether he resigned his games 3 days ago or 300 days ago.

Edit: In the one high-band tourney I've played in, there was a player 200 points below the minimum grade, and 400 points below his real strength, with a note in his profile: "If we're still playing after 5 moves, then be prepared for your rating to drop." A concept like TER, that allows, and even encourages, this sort of nonsense, is flawed.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 18:35
    Originally posted by padger
    He was averaging around 1700 before his dump .So he has the ability to play at that level.Now he can't enter tournaments that he is not entitled to.
    I realise that you may be penalised in the short term but in the long term this can only be a benift.
    In other words, "I don't really care what happens to anyone else, as long as the problem is fixed for me." 🙄
  12. The Smoke
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 19:27
    The fact remains that such a player can still enter a high-band tourney, whether he resigned his games 3 days ago or 300 days ago.
    but I thought you simply objected (kind of) to the possibility of some 'weak(er)' players somehow sneaking through 'cause of the new F E R, in the case of the said player it's simply not true, I reckon he'd be a worthy opponent for you.

I do think it is actually right (that he is allowed to do that, regardless how many days ago he resigned). I mean if you were forced to leave the site for some reasons (with vacation balance exhausted) I think it would only be fair if, when back, you were considered for 2000+ or similar tournaments..)

ahh oh well, nevermind.. I was just trying to understand your concern
  13. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 20:46
    I must agree with swiss gambit, I can't see any improvement in replacing the problem, even worse, the rating difference is bigger and whil thus cause more harm playing higher rated players. The solution IMO is to create a minimum rating say 300 points below the maximum (for 100 days). I also tournament entry rating should be calculated over a shorter time period for example 50 days
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 21:481 edit
    but I thought you simply objected (kind of) to the possibility of some 'weak(er)' players somehow sneaking through 'cause of the new F E R, in the case of the said player it's simply not true, I reckon he'd be a worthy opponent for you.

I do think it is actually right (that he is allowed to do that, regardless how many days ago he resigned). I mean if you ...[text shortened]... lar tournaments..)

ahh oh well, nevermind.. I was just trying to understand your concern
    Sigh. It would help if you read my posts more carefully.

I never said anything about weaker players. Underrated was the term I used. Big difference.

The problem is not that the game is not competitive. It's that the rating change is totally unfair. If I lose to Mr. 1000, I lose 32 points or more. If I win, I get zero. This despite the fact that he actually is as strong a player as I am. I ought to get something for beating the guy, and ought to lose less points for losing to him.
  15. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 22:11
    Speaking as a 2000+ player, I'm not thrilled with the idea of seeing 1400 rated players [who used to be 2000] in the high-band tourneys... 😕
    Entry to banded tournaments should be prevented unless players are within say 100 points of the lower entry limit.

There should be an auto facilitity in place to remove players from unstarted tournaments, if their rating drops below the entry limits.

This should prevent most cases, but will not stop ratings drops after a tournaments has started.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree