1. London
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 22:33
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Should we start calling you Little Enis?
    How was the Phili meetup?
  2. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 18:29
    Originally posted by DdV
    I wonder whether votes are a good way to decide on this, given the limited sample. Wouldn't the speed at which certain tournaments fill up be a better indication? (Of course, that's assuming people check the time controls before entering a tournament)
    Alternatively, it might be the case that people who prefer shorter time controls will go ahead and enter tournaments with longer time controls, but those who feel that they need the longer time controls won't enter the tournaments with shorter time controls--so tournaments with longer time controls draw from a larger pool of players. I think your metric might just measure what people will tolerate, not what they would prefer.

I agree with you, however, that we've got a sample size problem. Also, I'm wondering if the people who prefer longer time controls might also tend to not read the forums--perhaps there's a built in bias....
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 15:38
    Originally posted by Russ
    A new vote has been created to seek feedback on tournament time controls so in the future the majority of tournaments can be targeted more effectively to what people actually want.

Please take the time to vote - a large sample would be very useful.

Vote from the community menu >> vote.

Thanks.

-Russ
    Now that we had more than two month to vote, when will the votes be counted?
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 18:22
    anybody out there?
  5. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 22:19
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    anybody out there?
    Nope!
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 12:01
    Thanks I thought I was alone
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 12:47
    Thanks I thought I was alone
    Wating till over 1,000 votes have been cast 🙂
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 13:04
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    I think your metric might just measure what people will tolerate, not what they would prefer.
    You're dead right.

I think a lot of people just enter tournaments as they are available and are next best to their preference.

Why not have tournaments created on demand? Thread 52938

D
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 17:54
    Now that we had more than two month to vote, when will the votes be counted?
    only another 6 weeks...
  10. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 12:42
    Hasn't the vote already influenced the tournaments that have been started in the last months? For example, the latest "Long Haul" tournaments are 21/0 not 21/21.
  11. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 17:43
    Originally posted by John of Reading
    Hasn't the vote already influenced the tournaments that have been started in the last months? For example, the latest "Long Haul" tournaments are 21/0 not 21/21.
    You appear to be correct about the latest tournaments which have started.

However, the most popular of the 21/n time controls was 21/21. And 21/0 was not even an option. So to say that the vote has influenced long haul tournaments is probably stretching it, and the influence would have been to ignore the result and do something else entirely.

Cheers,
    Gezza

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree