1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 May '20 15:58
    @padger said
    It is notable that all these players are over 50% wins
    Is it good play or well set up by their leader
    not true look at fridaypub, who even has more losses than wins. Only few Players have above 50% wins.
  2. Here
    Moves
    20 May '20 08:21
    @mghrn55 said
    Every player strives to win more than they lose.
    If they succeed, they will be above 50%. So......your point ?

As to your 2nd question, I’d be happy to answer that.
    My answer ? A little bit of both.
    A good analogy are golf’s Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup.
    In 2019 at Presidents Cup, Tiger Woods was the captain of the US team and he made up his player list to match up ...[text shortened]... rmance of each player in the matchups.
    If there is something you’d like to add, feel free to do so.
    I am just pointing out that the clan leader may have more to do with their success than their ability
  3. Here
    Moves
    20 May '20 08:24
    @ponderable said
    not true look at fridaypub, who even has more losses than wins. Only few Players have above 50% wins.
    In my experience with this clan they set up so that their players have a better than even chance of success
    Proven by these statistics
    It is one of the reasons I will not take a challenge from them
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 May '20 10:171 edit
    @padger said
    In my experience with this clan they set up so that their players have a better than even chance of success
    Proven by these statistics
    It is one of the reasons I will not take a challenge from them
    Being a Clan Leader yourself padger you know you can set the challenges up, which may even appear to you to be in your favour.

It is still up to your Clan members to win those games.

I sincerely believe it is a combination of both. Over the years you do learn all your players strengths and weaknesses, and who they may be best suited against.

Having played with Metallica since 2008, I know there are games I should have won that I didn't and games I should have lost that I wound up winning. Everyone has their off days, one can't be on their game every day and as you well know one bad move can lose the game. There is a very fine line between winning and losing.

Having said that it is very important to have a leader who does their homework. It is a tough job, but you have to have your players winning the games they should win which as you know isn't always the case. It must be a complete team effort and everyone must be dedicated to winning.

-VR
  5. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 May '20 16:33
    @padger said
    I am just pointing out that the clan leader may have more to do with their success than their ability
    Fair enough statement, even if I don’t agree with it.
    I stated that both factors play into the result.
    And both are important.
    The clan leaders still have to put the challenges together.
    And the players still have to play the games.
  6. Here
    Moves
    20 May '20 18:48
    @mghrn55 said
    Fair enough statement, even if I don’t agree with it.
    I stated that both factors play into the result.
    And both are important.
    The clan leaders still have to put the challenges together.
    And the players still have to play the games.
    The problem being that a lot of clan leaders just accept the challenge as is and don't look at it more carefully
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 May '20 19:41
    @padger said
    The problem being that a lot of clan leaders just accept the challenge as is and don't look at it more carefully
    Then those clan leaders don’t win, do they ?
  8. Here
    Moves
    21 May '20 09:03
    @mghrn55 said
    NO!
  9. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    21 May '20 11:00
    @mghrn55 said
    Explains why The Internationals clan is sitting in position...........43!!!

A leader who has no idea.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 May '20 13:38
    @radioactive69 said

You know, some of the Clans get together more to socialize I think than any desire to be any where in the standings. That is ok too.

I figure if one is going to be in a clan you should be serious about playing the game.

We have the clubs for socializing, and I see more games being played in some of those clubs than in the clans.

-VR
  11. Here
    Moves
    21 May '20 14:06
    @radioactive69 said

Wow! you thought of that all on your own
    You didn't need your Doc Martin sucking boyfriend to help you
    The reason we are in 43rd is because the points system stinks and I do not bother too much with it
  12. Here
    Moves
    21 May '20 14:14
    @very-rusty said
    You know, some of the Clans get together more to socialize I think than any desire to be any where in the standings. That is ok too.

I figure if one is going to be in a clan you should be serious about playing the game.

We have the clubs for socializing, and I see more games being played in some of those clubs than in the clans.

-VR
    Perhaps if the points system was better more people would play their games in it

One of the clans I play for was beaten 4 - 3 with 1 game tied
    The points were awarded 8 for the winning clan and -8 for the losing clan
    Where is the justice in that ?

It is hardly worth playing for
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 May '20 14:14
    @padger said
    Wow! you thought of that all on your own
    You didn't need your Doc Martin sucking boyfriend to help you
    The reason we are in 43rd is because the points system stinks and I do not bother too much with it
    That was not very nice to say even though I don't always agree with radio.

Seems the majority of Clan Leader do like the present point system, you just don't agree with them is all. One can't always have their own way.

If you don't bother much with it because of your disagreement with how the point system works why not give up as Clan Leader see if you can find someone in the clan who is more interested?

-VR
  14. Here
    Moves
    21 May '20 14:171 edit
    @very-rusty said
    That was not very nice to say even though I don't always agree with radio.

Seems the majority of Clan Leader do like the present point system, you just don't agree with them is all. One can't always have their own way.

If you don't bother much with it because of your disagreement with how the point system works why not give up as Clan Leader see if you can find someone in the clan who is more interested?

-VR
    Probably most clan leaders do not know how the system works
    I am constantly surprised that most of them do not know that if you click on the v in challenges
    It gives you a more complete idea of how each opponent is rated
    I keep on probably because no one else will do it and in the hope someone will come up with a better solution
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 May '20 14:32
    @padger said
    Probably most clan leaders do not know how the system works
    I am constantly surprised that most of them do not know that if you click on the v in challenges
    It gives you a more complete idea of how each opponent is rated
    I keep on probably because no one else will do it and in the hope someone will come up with a better solution
    Ok so none of the others want to do it, but don't they want to play chess games?

Good that you said about clicking on the "V" so all the clan leaders will know now, or at least the ones who bother to even read this.

I don't have to tell you Padger this argument about the point system has went on for years now and there have been several votes on it by the Clan Leaders. Majority decided to go with present system.

In most sports that is the way it works the team who wins gets the points the loser doesn't get any. Why should that not apply to chess?

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree