1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    23 May '20 19:05
    @the-pickled-walrus said
    Separate club ratings which are irrelevant but no clan rating?
    It's a simple fix.
    Have separate clan ratings.
    Duh 🙄
    No wonder clans are dying and nobody cares about them.
    Making this change to add a separate clan rating is not as simple as it looks.
    It probably will require a change to the database (adding a new index).
    More of a project than an enhancement.
  2. Victor, New York
    Moves
    23 May '20 19:35
    @mghrn55 it’s quite obvious how Metallica operates.
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    23 May '20 19:49
    @lstcyr said
    @mghrn55 it’s quite obvious how Metallica operates.
    That doesn’t qualify as an answer. More like innuendo.
    Back it up with something more concrete.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '20 20:00
    @mghrn55 said
    And how is that ?
    Challenges are set and agreed to between 2 clan leaders.
    If you don’t like a challenge from an opposing clan leader, you either bounce it with a counter proposal, or you delete it.
    I agree and i do the same - i have some clans i routinely will challenge and others that i wont (due to past incidents or the fact i know the ratings wont match)
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '20 20:02
    @mghrn55
    Sadly there are still a few anti-Metallica players (based on before your leadership) and nowt you can do about it 🙁
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    23 May '20 20:07
    @silverstriker said
    @mghrn55
    Sadly there are still a few anti-Metallica players (based on before your leadership) and nowt you can do about it 🙁
    There’s nothing I need to do.
    We keep playing.
    And support the feature.
  7. Victor, New York
    Moves
    24 May '20 03:47
    @mghrn55 it’s quite obvious to those who can see.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 May '20 13:17
    @padger said
    because I try to set up challenges on the 5 year average between players and keep between no more than 100 between them
    every time Metallica send a challenge it is loaded up too much in their favour
    I think the 5 year average is going back too far for any clan not just Metallica. People can have declining age which can affect their rating, Medical issues, or personal issues in their life. Much has to be taken into consideration.

I think the last 90 days is a pretty good way to determine where a particular player's strength is at this time. I have no idea how my Clan Leader does it or what he goes by, just that so far he is doing a fanatastic job, you not so much.

I always used the 90 days average of the player when making challenges as a co-captain on another site, and had a very good winning percentage. It is getting to know the strengths and weaknesses of your players and also the opponents. There is a lot of home work to be done, so one must be willing to be willing to put the time into it and get to know everyone's ability in each clan or team.

You should have close communication with your own members to know what is going on in their lives as it can indeed affect their play.

-VR
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 May '20 13:56
    @very-rusty said
    I think the 5 year average is going back too far for any clan not just Metallica. People can have declining age which can affect their rating, Medical issues, or personal issues in their life. Much has to be taken into consideration.

I think the last 90 days is a pretty good way to determine where a particular player's strength is at this time. I have no idea how my Cla ...[text shortened]... your own members to know what is going on in their lives as it can indeed affect their play.

-VR
    I agree with what you say about the average in that the 90 day is probably the best guide to a players ability.I, for example have a highest ever 5 yr rating of 1728 but have never been near that for years.I got there one xmas when I think all my opponents must've been drunk!!
    Finding out about fellow clan members is not so easy though.
    When I was leader of the Laikers I tried several times to get the forum going but only got responses from a few of the others.
    I concluded that most of the members just wanted me to find them games and weren't really bothered about clan business.
    I started sending out a newsletter with incuding members' performance and 64 squares has carried it on ,but still little respnse .
  10. Here
    Moves
    24 May '20 14:04
    @venda said
    I agree with what you say about the average in that the 90 day is probably the best guide to a players ability.I, for example have a highest ever 5 yr rating of 1728 but have never been near that for years.I got there one xmas when I think all my opponents must've been drunk!!
    When I was leader of the Laikers I trie ...[text shortened]... tter with incuding members' performance and 64 squares has carried it on ,but still little respnse .
    I said a 5 year average
    Not the best in 5 years
  11. Here
    Moves
    24 May '20 14:08
    @venda said
    When I was leader of the Laikers I trie ...[text shortened]... tter with incuding members' performance and 64 squares has carried it on ,but still little respnse .
    I said a 5 year average
    Not the best in 5 years
    I know of some players who go on a 30 day "Jolly up" once a year
    What would that do to a 90 day average
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 May '20 14:371 edit
    @padger said
    I said a 5 year average
    Not the best in 5 years
    This is a call you as a clan Leader has to make.

Like our present clan leader told you negotiation is possible if you want to take the time.

In the majority of cases short of sandbagging the 90 day average of a player will give you their playing strength. The Site also keeps an average of rating for entering tournaments, which is another tool you can use when looking over your challenges if you don't already do so. You also have to check to see if that player is actually playing in tournaments presently.

-VR
  13. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 May '20 18:43
    @padger said
    I said a 5 year average
    Not the best in 5 years
    Yeah , sorry.
    Still,it does illustrate that a player can reach a rating above his ability
  14. Here
    Moves
    25 May '20 05:481 edit
    @venda said
    Yeah , sorry.
    Still,it does illustrate that a player can reach a rating above his ability
    I agree
    I once had a rating well above what I am capable of
    It is hard playing under those conditions
    However the 5 year average was a much better indicator

As for negotiating between leaders
    Have you any idea how long it takes to set up any sort of challenge
    This is one thing that should be made easier
    You go all through the players between the two clans and the system the says " NO "
    Then once you have finally agreed to what the system allows
    The opposition leaders says "NO "
    If you do make a successful challenge that the system allows and you want to make another challenge
    You have to go back to the clan page and try and find someone to challenge
    I admire the leaders who have the patience to go through this torment time after time
    I can only manage to give it a go once a month
  15. Here
    Moves
    25 May '20 08:22
    @padger said
    I agree
    I once had a rating well above what I am capable of
    It is hard playing under those conditions
    However the 5 year average was a much better indicator

As for negotiating between leaders
    Have you any idea how long it takes to set up any sort of challenge
    This is one thing that should be made easier
    You go all through the players between the two clans and the sy ...[text shortened]... patience to go through this torment time after time
    I can only manage to give it a go once a month
    Do you know what hurts more than any thing else
    After you have managed to get the challenge going
    Say about 9 months later the challenge is complete and your three members have lost by half a point 3.5 - 2.5
    You get penalised 6 points and your opponent get 6
    A difference of 12
    For .5 difference
    Wonderful

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree