different views

different views

Clans

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
29 Oct 16

The greatest change that needs to take place is a system based on average rise and fall in the clans combined ELO. This brilliant idea would root out sand baggers and those who prematurely resign games in an instant. It would also make clan games more competitive and much closer than they are at present and rejuvenate the clan system. Imagine a system that reworded merit, how good and fair that would be.

Moves
29 Oct 16

Originally posted by lemondrop
the only thing clans seem good at is promoting hatred among players
so let us have all out war
no rules
anarchy!
I have been there Lemondrop. It is easy to misunderstand what people really mean online when you can't see their body language. It amazes me at some responses I get from people when I write like I speak...slightly redneck Alabama with a hint of mockery, just for laughs. Sometimes the wording is unusual to translation software, offending people mistakenly.

If I offend anyone on here, you can be sure it is not intentional. I can't be offended. I work with the private homeowners and that is an impossibility to stay employed if you get offended easily there.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
29 Oct 16

Originally posted by dsmith
I have been there Lemondrop. It is easy to misunderstand what people really mean online when you can't see their body language. It amazes me at some responses I get from people when I write like I speak...slightly redneck Alabama with a hint of mockery, just for laughs. Sometimes the wording is unusual to translation software, offending people mistakenly.
...[text shortened]... ivate homeowners and that is an impossibility to stay employed if you get offended easily there.
the old clan forum was shut down because, in large part, of the personal out of control insults
it did not take long for the new clan forum to degenerate to its old ways
I don't think you have to see the body language of the most vicious posters to know the hatred pouring forth
and I am guilty of being part of it

Moves
29 Oct 16

good discussion, and excellent suggestions so far

the hope is that this will turn into a logical request for changes

there are some natural requirements

changes must be feasible, and not require a huge effort on the part of the site

once implemented, they should not require excessive work on the part of the administrators to maintain

the sense of them should be apparent

all or most of us must agree on them

some of the most concise and well thought out suggestions came from Wycombe Al

i'd like to hear what you think about them, and maybe how some of the other suggestions might fit in and augment them

thanks
~leo

Fun, fun fun!!

On the beach

Moves
29 Oct 16

I think the most fairest system for the clans would be

1. Within a clan challenge points are accrued as follows..2 points for a win.....1 point for a draw.......0 points for a loss (as it currently is).

2. When clan challenge is complete the clan with the most points wins the challenge and is allocated points as per the current allocation. e.g in a 10 man challenge (20 games) the winning clan (based on the points allocation above) is awarded 20 points. If both teams are equal 10 points each (or if it was a 2 man challenge....2 points each).The losing team however does not get negative points actually gets 1 point for every winning game they had.
For example lets say in a 10 man challenge (20 games) team A wins 10 games team B wins 8 games and 2 games are drawn. Team A gets 20 points and team B gets 8 points. This would make if fairer to both clans who arrange larger challenges but also reward clans that get beaten by a small margin. None of this negative crap. In the above scenario at the present moment there would be a 40 swing which is ridiculous in such a close challenge.

3. Clan ratings are separate from all other ratings. Your clan rating is based upon your performance in clan games only. This should eliminate sandbaggers

4. To make 3 above work members are only allowed to be in 1 clan only (otherwise people could join 2 clans, play badly in one clan sandbagging their rating)

5. There be a panel of 5 chosen impartial clan leaders who can look at complaints and issue warnings if they think it proper. If a clan recieves two warnings then the clan is suspended from accepting challenges for say 2 months e.g proven collusion etc. This panel would have to be long time members who are respected and on the site often.

6. Members of the winning clan at the end of the year recieve a free subscription when their next renewal is due (incentive plus should increase players coming to the site)

Anyway....if these suggestions were brought into play the clan system would be much more competitive and fun to play in. Obviously big clans would be the go with tiny clans not really in the hunt for the medals. Not having a go at Lemondrop but to have a one man clan near the top of the heap is ludicrous. Maybe this could cut down the huge amount of clans to a smaller more reasonable amount but not completely shut out the small clans from playing.

The way the clan system is at the moment is teetering upon destruction. Basically no point in playing clan games. It's like MMA. Full of steroids !!!

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
29 Oct 16

Originally posted by Wycombe Al
some good ideas

for me some of the first steps to improve the system would be:

1) clan players that have not moved for 30 days automatically become unavailable for challenges

2) clans can not issue challenges until they have at least 2 members (how can 1 person be a clan?)

3) clan leaders can't issue a challenge against a clan where the clan l ...[text shortened]... can have only 10 players over 1400 or 3 players over 1800 etc

6) clan games can't be resigned
I don't agree with some of your points Al.
1.When I am offering challenges I always look to see if a player is active enough before including that player in my challenge.30 days is a bit short really.What about people who have to go in hospital or something?
2.I agree a 1 person clan is a contradiction in terms but I remember in the past I said this in a post and someone replied with a good counter argument although I can't remember what it was!!
3.I agree
4.The rating system is based on the wrong rating(i.e the current rating)It should be on the 1 year or 5 year rating.These are the ones I most take notice of when issuing and accepting or rejecting challenges.
5.People join clans for different reasons as I said previously .To impose such a restriction is a bit unfair.
6.Can't resign?.i can see where you're coming from with Metallica's policy of resigning games in challenges when they are lost but if a game is hopelessly lost I wouldn't want to waste my time carrying on.

greatest site

or just a tribute

Moves
29 Oct 16

i'm suggesting they become inactive after 30 days so clan leaders don't pair them in new games, their current games are still on going, when they come back from hospital/illness/holiday all they would have to do is active their availability again

greatest site

or just a tribute

Moves
29 Oct 16

without stopping resignations in clan games i can't see how you will ever stop games being thrown, of course they can still be thrown by players timing out or playing badly so i'm not sure this area can be fixed other than penalties imposed on the player if it becomes obvious what they are doing (ie suspension from being in a clan for a period of time)

greatest site

or just a tribute

Moves
29 Oct 16

also forgot to add that players can't join clans while they have a provisional rating as it would be easy for a clan leader to load up games while the player is not showing at their true rating

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 Oct 16

without stopping resignations in clan games i can't see how you will ever stop games being thrown, of course they can still be thrown by players timing out or playing badly so i'm not sure this area can be fixed other than penalties imposed on the player if it becomes obvious what they are doing (ie suspension from being in a clan for a period of time)
Al,
You are way too soft in my opinion. IF the people who are now doing continue to do it. Boot them off of the site completely. THEY have made a mockery of this CLAN FEATURE long enough!!!!

Regards,
-VR

greatest site

or just a tribute

Moves
29 Oct 16

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Al,
You are way too soft in my opinion. IF the people who are now doing continue to do it. Boot them off of the site completely. THEY have made a mockery of this CLAN FEATURE long enough!!!!

Regards,
-VR
They will just come back with a different username

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 Oct 16
1 edit

They will just come back with a different username
Al,
This is true, but it will not take long to know who they are as they start throwing games...Then Boot them again. I don't see any other way to solve the problem. I don't think a ban is going to work.

Don't know how many accounts they may have on the go right now. It may all be just in vain! Perhaps once a few get the BOOT it will make the others think a little more about what they want to do.

Regards,
-VR

rc

Moves
29 Oct 16

Al,

Regards,
-VR
Nothing you have said here or anywhere else addresses the present issues facing the clan system. You appear to me to be devoid of both substance and reason. An empty headed finger pointer that has nothing to contribute to the subject but some kind of punitive action while you and your clan pretended that they are holier than everyone else.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 Oct 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Nothing you have said here or anywhere else addresses the present issues facing the clan system. You appear to me to be devoid of both substance and reason. An empty headed finger pointer that has nothing to contribute to the subject but some kind of punitive action while you and your clan pretended that they are holier than everyone else.
robbie,
It is really a very simple solution. Get rid of all the cheaters and people handing the points to a certain team which we all know, including that team leader and the leaders from the teams involved. That would be a wonderful start in my opinion. That is facing the issues and starting a fix to the problem, You have been involved in creating!!!

Regards,
-VR

rc

Moves
29 Oct 16

robbie,
It is really a very simple solution. Get rid of all the cheaters and people handing the points to a certain team which we all know, including that team leader and the leaders from the teams involved. That would be a wonderful start in my opinion. That is facing the issues and starting a fix to the problem, You have been involved in creating!!!

Regards,
-VR
You have still contributed nothing Very Rusty to the present issues and abuses. Please try to assimilate the idea that banning people does not address the present issues. I don't know why you cannot make the distinction.